system update fail on OTA 2.2 update

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by TexasHookem8, Sep 22, 2010.

1. csantoro85

csantoro85 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying the above now. If it doesn't work, any suggestions?

2. jdcbolt03

jdcbolt03 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any one tried using the droid 2 sbf file for unbricking the 2.2 attempted downgrade??? im prolly about to try it and see what happens

yea didnt think that was gonna work... insta fail

#26 jdcbolt03, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. Rebycman

Rebycman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted my DX and I was having the same issue "update failed". I went into my apps and remembered I disabled some of them by changing .apk to .bak so I renamed the files back to .apk and then retried the OTA update and it installed just fine. Of course I no longer have root on the new 2.2 update but I can fix that. If anybody is having issues getting the update its probably not the root that's causing it because I updated while rooted. I did not install any 2.2 beta's so I cant help ya there but if you were like me and disabled the bloatware by renaming the .apk then go undo those changes and try again.

4. twb136

twb136 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Our problems sounded similar enough that I think that would work. My issue was I could not get the phone in bootloader to be recognized, so when I connected it in bootloader I discovered that I did not have the S Flash OMAP driver installed. Thats when I found the updated driver page and installed that driver. So simply, my issue was I did not have a driver installed and did not realize it.

5. Ieisha

Ieisha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty sure this might be a dumb question but, how do I tell if my phone is rooted? It was at one time , but I had starting having problems and then I had to do a factory reset . SO I think I lost the root. Can someone tell me what to look for to see if its rooted. I tried the update , and it downloaded but installation failed

6. Ieisha

Ieisha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HOw do you rename it back?

7. andym1978

andym1978 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I had posted this sooner for some of you. If you have Clockwork installed and cannot complete the OTA update (Update failed msg), the following steps worked for me. I don' remember where I got this info at the moment, but I will find out later.

Basically, using Root Explorer, I went to /system/bin folder and did the following:

1) Find file named "logwrapper" with a label "hijack link" next to it. Delete this.
    2) rename "logwrapper.bin" to "logwrapper".

After that, my OTA update worked perfectly after I rebooted. I didn't even have to UNROOT (though the OTA update still removed root) I hope this helps.