Getting really tired of my Droid, several problems with it.

Olivia

Reaction score
I am getting so sick and tired of my Droid lately it makes me wish I never signed a two year contract. The past week or so my main problem is not being able to answer my phone!!! My Droid will ring, I try and slide the bar over to answer it and it won't slide!!!!!!!!! It happened several times today and I missed several calls. I have not installed any new apps either.

Other problems lately have been my phone freezing up and having to restart my Droid. Now when I restart it, my phone says no SD card detected then it says to confirm. It used to only say that when I hooked it up to my computer, but the SD card is there and I can read it fine, don't know why I keep getting that message. There are also a lot of other buggy issues I cannot think of at the moment, but those two are the main ones that happen on a daily basis.

I know most of you are going to say I probably need to do a factory reset, okay I am thinking of doing that, but I shouldn't have to!!! I mean are the apps I am downloading causing this, then shouldn't they not be in the app store? I shouldn't have to do a factory reset everytime my Droid acts buggy. I'm really pissed at the Android system right now and I don't have much faith in it anymore. Just needed to vent since there is nothing I can do about getting another phone for TWO years!!!

BTW I do have 2.1 installed.

timo1456

Reaction score
i agree,, for how advance the phone is it should not be acting so faulty.. and it sounds you dont do to many apps or other heavy use.. good luck sir..

larrylock

Reaction score
I purchased 2 Droids one for me and one for my step daughter. She has went through 2 so far and the 3rd one is messing up too. We purchased the first ones back in late Feb 10. Her Droid will not slide open when she has an incoming call and misses calls. Everyone freezes up on her or the touch screen goes out on her. This 3rd one just turns into a brick without any warning and she has to remove the battery and restart it.

Mine works fine. We are both running 2.1.:icon_evil:

nerdkill

Reaction score
my wife and i both have droids and don't have this issue. maybe an app messing with your phone? it's not an iphone, you have to be responsible for what you put on your droid. i would start deleting the most recent apps that you installed and see if they make a difference. are you stock or rooted?

larrylock

Reaction score
It is a Motorola Droid using 2.1 OS. I am not sure what apps she is putting on each time, but we both share common ideas about what apps we use. Not that we both use the same apps, but similar ones. The Verizon store says the Droid's that were defective, were just that... defective. Tho it is becoming an ongoing problem with only her phones. And NO they are not rooted phones, they are stock right out of the box.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Most of the problems cited in this thread don't point to a particular app causing problems. Rather, they suggest an operating system overloaded with applications full of data and cache files.

If I were to guess, I suspect that the daughter noted above does much more messaging and email than her stepfather. And that may well account for being on her third droid while he has no such problems.

Likewise, the boot up message of "no SD card detected" likely stems from the o/s failing to be through with some of its "housekeeping" before an app that is being loaded at startup needs to confirm access to the SD Card. It's a momentary issue and isn't really a problem. As soon as the SD card is detected the app usually loads just fine.

The balky slide to answer a call is a well known problem and it's extremely frustrating. Again, especially since it's intermittent, I suspect it results from the o/s being busy doing some task when the user slides their finger across the screen. Rather than "remembering" the slide, the Droid prevents it from being recorded at all.

There are a number of ways to deal with these problems; some more successfully than others.

For the balky "slide to answer" problem, "Tedd's Droid Tools" or "myLock Phone Tools" (not just myLock) from the Market provides a touch to answer on the answering screen that seem to eliminate the swipe to answer problem. Or a user can simply be less eager to answer the phone by letting it ring once or twice. That seems to work, as well. The worst thing you can do is to repeatedly swipe the screen. That seems to bombard the Droid with input and just makes the problem worse.

For the problem of "No SD Card Detected" message you can just ignore it unless it actually results in problems once your phone is fully operational. You can also examine your apps and see which ones start at bootup. Either set them not to do so (if you can) or get rid of them. ("ShopSavvy" is especially prone to this behavior, I've noticed.) But in most cases the app starts and then becomes inactive after a few seconds. Not worth worrying about.

Finally, the major impact of a factory reset is to clear data and cache. That's why it improves performance. But while it's effective, you don't have to go that far. You can clear data (sometimes) and cache (almost always) from an app without a factory reset.

To see which apps are overloading your memory with data and cache, purchase "Quick App Clean Cache" from the Market (about a buck.) It reads all apps and lists them in order of the space they're taking up in memory. You can then delete the cache to free up memory. My guess is that many of those who are having problems noted in this thread have a lot of messages and/or email clogging up their systems.