Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Some thoughts:

Motorola hates hackers and does everything they can to plug rooting holes with every update. Updates frequently. Large hacker community. "Droid" line phones are the gold standard for Android phones to most users. Has a dual-core LTE phone coming out soon.

Samsung is terrible about support. Has a phone described (in their literature) as "better than the Nexus S" coming out soon for Verizon customers. Should be LTE. No idea about the size of the hacking community but should be large considering the number of phones Sammy puts out.

LG doesn't seem interested in keeping up with the Jones family, as it were. Fair-sized hacking community.

HTC's Sense UI is considered to be the smoothest of the skinned Android versions. Tremendous hacker community. Quality hardware but updates are iffy.

tjduhamel

Reaction score
I would at least wait and see what comes out on the sixth. Verizon is supposedly no longer selling most of the phones you listed as of March of 2011. Of course there will be always bigger and better phones out there but it is at least worth a look.

Of the three you mentioned I am most tempted by the X as it seems to be the one favored by the hacking / rooting communities at the moment. I liked playing with the fascinate in the store but agreed on Samsung's lack of support for existing devices. There was a supposed claim of Froyo on the Galaxy S line with in the first month of release and that has not happened. No real downside to any of them though, best of luck. I am hoping to pick up a HTC Mecha if it actually makes it out by mid January or early Feb. If not I am thinking Droid X.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Just wait till january 6th. That's when ces is and verizon will be debuting several new phones including dual core and 4g phones. You'll be kicking yourself if you buy now. Patience.

Agreed, waiting is probably the best solution at this point. New phones with 4G are on the horizon.

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
Would these new phones/4G come with any extra costs or subscriptions of any type? The reason I ask is because the unlimited data plan is quite the amount of money to be added onto the bill and I'd rather not have even more fees to pay if there are going to be anymore.. :/

I might consider waiting, but idk... meh.

Droid101

Reaction score
I say to wait until January 6th see what phones are announced and if any of those are appealing until you make your decision.:)

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
I think I'll at least wait until then, but if they're just announcing the new phones on the 6th, how long will it be until the phones are actually released? I'm not sure how long I can wait considering my current phone's condition...it still works but I'm afraid it'll literally fall apart soon. :p Hopefully it'll continue working until then, because I guess I'll at least consider looking at the new phones...

Droid101

Reaction score
I think I'll at least wait until then, but if they're just announcing the new phones on the 6th, how long will it be until the phones are actually released? I'm not sure how long I can wait considering my current phone's condition...it still works but I'm afraid it'll literally fall apart soon. :p Hopefully it'll continue working until then, because I guess I'll at least consider looking at the new phones...

The earliest release date for a phone being rumored around here is feb./March. I imagine when they are announced they'll give a release date or time frame(hopefully).

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score

The earliest release date for a phone being rumored around here is feb./March. I imagine when they are announced they'll give a release date or time frame(hopefully).

2-3 months feels so far away. Argh..lol :p oh well. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I've been leaning more towards the Droid 2 (Global?) after reading a lot of different reviews and such, but people keep telling me to wait...so I'm really not sure.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're at all interested in hacking your phone make sure there's a "return to stock if something screws up" option. There is no such option for the D2G because there is no SBF for it at present.

Beka27

Reaction score
Jan 6th might come and go and you see the new phones being offered and decide it isn't worth the wait (or added 4G cost). At least then you can make more of an informed decision. It's easier to compare peaches and oranges rather than peaches and a *magical mystery fruit* that you know nothing about.