Getting a new phone soon, having a hard time making a decision...please help

Beka27

Reaction score
You've got to ultimately make a decision, or decide to not make a decision. It's so much personal preference and everyone on here will tell you what they want/need in a phone, but that might not necessarily be the same as what YOU want/need. Play with the different phones, multiple times if necessary. It would be even better if you know people with each phone (activated) that would let you really test drive it. Have you checked out the various forums to see what kind of issues people are having with each device? NO device is perfect, but there may be some issues that are a bigger deal to you than someone else. I can honestly say that we are not going to be able to make this decision for you. Repeated bumps aren't going to reveal much beyond what's already been discussed.

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
You've got to ultimately make a decision, or decide to not make a decision. It's so much personal preference and everyone on here will tell you what they want/need in a phone, but that might not necessarily be the same as what YOU want/need. Play with the different phones, multiple times if necessary. It would be even better if you know people with each phone (activated) that would let you really test drive it. Have you checked out the various forums to see what kind of issues people are having with each device? NO device is perfect, but there may be some issues that are a bigger deal to you than someone else. I can honestly say that we are not going to be able to make this decision for you. Repeated bumps aren't going to reveal much beyond what's already been discussed.

Thanks Beka, you're right.

And although I do think the display of the Fascinate, X and Incredible are gorgeous (more so than the Droid 2, I think), I'm still leaning more towards the D2G.

Incredible is one of the oldest out of the phones mentioned
The X does seem nice, but it's just too big for my personal preference as a phone
and the Fascinate, well, I've just heard of bad support and such for that one..slow to update, etc..

and even though the D2G isn't able to be set back to the stock if it messes up from rooting, I'm guessing that will happen eventually if I'm ever interested in rooting it. and I do like the fact it has a physical keyboard if needed, maybe one day I'll be comfortable moving on without a keyboard. :p

In regards to waiting until the 6th, I would, but from everything I've been reading, it seems there's just going to be more costs and fees for the 4G and the new phones may not interest me anyway. The extra fees for 4G immediately turn me off of that idea (because I'm a cheapskate :p)

But yeah, thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm still leaning more towards the D2G after all of this, and if I do get it, hopefully it turns out to be a great phone. :)

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I started on a D1 and had it for almost a year. Loved it. Ended up getting a D2 as a warranty replacement, didnt care much for it so sold it on ebay and grabbed a DX.

Love the screen size. If you will mainly do just calls, a smaller screen is great. If you do like i do and spend 90% of your time on the phone browsing the web, watching movies, playing games, reading etc. then the large screen grows quickly on you. I now look at my wifes D1 and it looks so tiny, like a little toy. She used my phone to take some pictures around the hollidays and she now wants a DX as well.

It is slimmer and lighter than the D1 and D2 and fits nicely in my pocket. I installed a case from Incipio this past week, and it still goes in and out of the pocket no problems.

It seems like a HUGE phone at first, but now it feels normal and all others feel inadequate to me.

Beka27

Reaction score
If you want the D2G, I say go for it! I think it's a very nice phone. You probably shouldn't root immediately ANYWAYS. Get familiar with the phone stock first, play around with apps and home launchers and stuff, customize it a bit and have fun. By the time your 30 day period is over and you've fully decided the D2G is the right phone, there will probably be an SBF.

And worst case scenario... you're not crazy about it, but you have the phone for a couple years. It's not your entire life.

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. :) Since I had to go out to town, I went back into Verizon for a third time to mess around, and yeah...now I think my decision is set for the Droid 2 Global. I messed with the Droid X again just to be sure, but again, for -me-, the way it felt in my hand was way too bulky... :p ah well, to each their own. I'm most likely going to get the D2G, and if I don't get it tonight I'll be going tomorrow to get it. :)

OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
I bought the Droid 2 Global. It's a bit overwhelming of course for right now, just because there's so much on it and so much to do, tweak settings, etc....but yeah, I have the phone now. :)

Any advice/tips/suggestions for me, a newbie? :p

One question that does come to mind, does this phone operate kind of like the newer iPod Touches in regards to its multitasking, for example, on my iPod Touch, after a while I eventually double tap the home button so I can close out of programs that are in the multitask bar to free up some memory/space...because if I don't, the iPod will slow down a bit. Is there anything similar to that on this phone?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
Z

Zerozx

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. and yeah, I'm definitely not going to try to root anytime soon..I've still got a lot to learn and get used to. :p

Reikachu

Reaction score
I'll also be buying a phone soon, and this thread has been helpful; thanks.

However, I could use some more input on these issues:
1. Which phones are the safest if I'm interested in rooting/flashing/etc? Are any phones "brick-proof"? Which phones can be easily unbricked?

2. Which phones ship with the least bloatware, esp. unremovable bloatware?

I care relatively little about hardware, but I care a lot about having a non-infuriating software environment. For these reasons I've been pretty scared of Motorola's recent offerings; should I be? Or is the HTC Incredible the phone I want? I've honestly considered buying an original Droid.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'll also be buying a phone soon, and this thread has been helpful; thanks.

However, I could use some more input on these issues:
1. Which phones are the safest if I'm interested in rooting/flashing/etc? Are any phones "brick-proof"? Which phones can be easily unbricked?

Droid 1

2. Which phones ship with the least bloatware, esp. unremovable bloatware?

Droid 1

I care relatively little about hardware, but I care a lot about having a non-infuriating software environment. For these reasons I've been pretty scared of Motorola's recent offerings; should I be? Or is the HTC Incredible the phone I want? I've honestly considered buying an original Droid.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Answers in red. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
To be fair, any Motorola phone with a functional SBF in the wild can be un-soft-bricked very easily. HTC has something similar in practice. I have NO idea about the Fascinate, but apparently that one's locked up tighter than a liquor closet on New Year's Day.