GDE vs Home++

mikespe

Reaction score
I tried GDE for a day and it was too buggy for me. Not so much force closes but when I would swipe the cube it kept going black. Home++ isn't perfect (had the occasional FC but not many)...but with the addition of the Screenshot feature and ability to add up to 7 screens I like it a lot.

diggity

Reaction score
I've never tried Home++, but I've been using GDE for a couple of weeks now. Previously used PandaHome. GDE is much better. I've yet to have a FC or any other quirk with it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
No love for dxtop?
dxtop rawks!! i have ALL the other home alternatives and keep checkin for updates just to see if any of them ever get stuff i luv in dxtop. there are certain things i like in all the homes but dxtop is my fav.

Agreed. I can't believe no one likes dxTop. The categorized app. drawer is awesome.

4197224791_33ab326996.jpg

Plus you can get to any screen with 1 flick.

That is pretty nice. I've downloaded it and am playing with it. It's good that you can go to any screen in one flick. One thing in favor of Home++ and GDE is that the phone is on every screen right at the bottom.

SarahP

Reaction score
I was sold on stock home screen until I got my Droid. Now its so laggy.

Home++ hides the notification bar which makes me feel edgy because I like to see it and it flicks up behind things sometimes.

GDE I haven't tried, but the bug reports are scaring me.

Panda looks very ugly / low res on Droid.

Anything else I can look at?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Home++ hides the notification bar which makes me feel edgy because I like to see it and it flicks up behind things sometimes.

You might try dxTop. There's a couple of nifty things. Categorizing your apps is one and I found out you can put 5 applications at the very bottom that'll stay on every screen.

Panda was the first non-stock Home and GDE was the second. While I haven't had any problems with any of them, Home++ is my default now (especially if I use Applications Organizer).

eNonsense

Reaction score
dxtop rawks!! i have ALL the other home alternatives and keep checkin for updates just to see if any of them ever get stuff i luv in dxtop. there are certain things i like in all the homes but dxtop is my fav.

Agreed. I can't believe no one likes dxTop. The categorized app. drawer is awesome.

That is pretty nice. I've downloaded it and am playing with it. It's good that you can go to any screen in one flick. One thing in favor of Home++ and GDE is that the phone is on every screen right at the bottom.

Well, you could put your dialer in the quick launch dock and just leave the dock switched over all the time, and only switch back to the drawer tabs when you need to. That would give you your dialer + 4 extra fully customizable icons that stay at the bottom, no matter what homescreen you're on. The dock looks like this.

4187451457_a18f29fc9b.jpg

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, you could put your dialer in the quick launch dock and just leave the dock switched over all the time, and only switch back to the drawer tabs when you need to. That would give you 5 extra fully customizable icons that stay at the bottom, no matter what home screen you're on. The dock looks like this.

4187451457_a18f29fc9b.jpg

Cool. and how do you switch back if you want to get into the apps?

eNonsense

Reaction score
to switch between the dock and the drawer tabs you just do a left or right swipe on the dock/tabs.

mikedav1

Reaction score

If you hold down the notification bar icon, it will always stay on.

mbeatle

Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't know that you could dock multiple apps at the bottom of the screen with dxTop. I've been using Home++ for a few weeks now and I like everything but the FCs.