GDE is simply amazing...take a look.

brendanstl

Reaction score
I really wish that the developer would stop putting out GDE updates than do more harm than good.​

I performed an 'update' this morning that pretty much has GDE running at a snail's pace (even after several reboots).​

What A Pain!

Guess I wont be updating anytime soon.

windstrings

Reaction score
I really wish that the developer would stop putting out GDE updates than do more harm than good.​

I performed an 'update' this morning that pretty much has GDE running at a snail's pace (even after several reboots).​

What A Pain!

Guess I wont be updating anytime soon.

Why do people take 15 good reports and ignore them and only look at one bad.......

Don't go from one report... Mine and many others runs flawlessly.

People install all kinds of themes, widgets and do all sorts of things that aren't typical to the normal user.
Making a program thats compatible with every thousand programs out there takes time.

Install Home switcher.. "makes life easy"... you can always uninstall... GDE cost less than a hamburger or a starbucks.... and those only last a few hours and you need another!

DroidxRage

Reaction score
^^ Zactly:

"People install all kinds of themes, widgets and do all sorts of things that aren't typical to the normal user."

If you have 2 of your apps trying to use the same process, and they didn't code it right to deal with data collisions and such, this can cause problems. Try removing some widgets/themes and add them back incrementally. I noticed the WikiTune widget gave GDE all kinds of problems, took it off, no more problems.

:)

windstrings

Reaction score
^^ Zactly:

"People install all kinds of themes, widgets and do all sorts of things that aren't typical to the normal user."

If you have 2 of your apps trying to use the same process, and they didn't code it right to deal with data collisions and such, this can cause problems. Try removing some widgets/themes and add them back incrementally. I noticed the WikiTune widget gave GDE all kinds of problems, took it off, no more problems.

:)

INteresting, good to know stuff!..... sounds like IRQ "Interuppt request" issues with drivers in computers. Timing is everything.... if you don't believe me.. try crossing the freeway on foot!

By installing GDE first.. sounds like it gets precedence over processes that have first priority, then when the other is added, they fill in the gaps.

Zodduska

Reaction score
Installed GDE, its pretty slick but my Deslandes weather widget v2 wont load and beautiful Widgets home wont update time or weather.

TomN

Reaction score
I think I finally narrowed down my problems to be the Facebook widget. It seems to be working now, just need to fix the constant FCs and the duplicate/triplicate apps on the app page.

thestappa

Reaction score
I just installed it. Seems pretty cool so far.

Can't add my Weather Widget though. Just says loading.

M1dnite

Reaction score
I've been using this for a few days now. And it seems after I had it for a few days, its gotten worse. Maybe I should re install? But it Crashes a lot, and the lag is fine, but at times when I go from one screen to another my icons do not display until its done scrolling
I have 5 home screens. Once it becomes more stable I can use it again, but right now, it's pretty slow for me!

Schimm

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned but to stop black screening (probably cube format), disable 'fast fling' in the desktop settings. Cube is cool but I want better performance so it's at default right now.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Funny but for me cube works the best and has the least issues, I suppose it is diff with every phone as we all have diff apps/widgets/services running in the background.

GDE is running really good for me right now, ecpept for the wallpaper rap in landscape mode. For those that get the double/triple apps in the app screen you may want to try to reset GDE (goto to GDE Control Panel > Desktop Settings > at the bottom you'll see a button to click to reset GDE) this worked for me when I had problems with double apps showing up and other quirks. Knock on wood, ;) but today it has been running great...

NegativeX

Reaction score
If they can fix the laggy-ness' and occasional freezing, I'd definitely be all over this.

I'm a FPS junky... anything less then 20-30 fps on any sort of animation gives me a headache.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Certain themes and widgets don't play nice with certain homescreen apps, no matter which one it is. Depends on the coding, but since everything is open with Android (good) there's so much possibility for data collisions and other ill effects of bad coding (bad).

It's a matter of finding a Dev that can make good apps, widgets, and themes to play nice with everything else. If you find a good dev, check out their other apps (you can do that right from their app in the market).

I found that iMusic widget, Dolphin, TuneWiki and many themes don't play well with GDE. When I installed/used them, I had all kinds of problems. Took them off, and the problems disappear.

When you get a home screen app I know the first thing you want to do is stick everything you have on the screen and customize the hell out of it, but really the best way to do it is to add one or two pieces at a time until you start having issues, then remove the most recently added items and watch your issues go away. Sure-fire way to spot a trouble-app.

Just something to keep in mind. Also if you have tons of stuff running and little memory you'll see animation lag. Anything under 40mb you risk introducing lag.

windstrings

Reaction score
I found that iMusic widget, Dolphin, TuneWiki and many themes don't play well with GDE. When I installed/used them, I had all kinds of problems. Took them off, and the problems disappear.

I agree.... "Is it the chicken or the egg?"

Sometimes GDE gets blamed for bad programming when in fact they have accomplished amazing feats and its the other things added after the fact that could be bad.

My Cube works perfect... No black screens, no hangups.... once in a blue moon I will have a delay and the screen is black until everything on the screen loads.. but thats pretty rare.

I don't have any of the problem apps or widgets you mentioned above and I try to use shortcuts rather than widgets because it seems widgets are like little programs running in the background that control its parent program, whereas as shortcut does nothing until you use it.

I use an app killer to wipe off progs every so often... you can tell it which ones to ignore and never wipe... "like gmail, alarmclock, my sms app,etc"... everything else can go until I want to open it again.

Even as many trashy progs on your computer try to take over your desktop and make shortcut bars and place add infested malware in general............. even so, it looks like we are going to have to deal with apps that don't want to shut off, want to keep your gps activated for no good reason, want to keep running in the background and stay running just because you opened it one time "shopsavvy is bad for that" corporate calendar also like to run.. its nice to be able to kill them if you never use them and have never even set them up... whats up with that?

Seems like unscrupulous Devs try and take advantage of all the cpu power and abilities of a computer or smartphone to reach thier objectives to make a buck rather than be a service that serves the customer and then sell that service.

CPUs get faster and apps and programs get trashier and bigger with less and less effort for excellence to write good quality code.

Everyone is out there trying to make a quick easy buck and so some of the apps will be released without respect for the user who buys it because they are only out for their own interest.

It won't be long we may need a program like CCleaner "crap cleaner".. that also cleans the registry from all the irresponsible left over trash of bad program uninstalls. Until then "Advanced Task Killer" is a necessity.

Its true Android does very well juggling everything, but when you start tossing in apps that really show off the capabilities of the Droid, it just doesn't make sense to allow 15 other apps to run all the time when they are not needed.