Gaming Data Usage

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Well I ran some controlled of how much data Xbox uses via wireless tether.

Black Ops/1 hour- less than 1 MB
Black Ops/1 hour/Party chat- 3 MB
Halo Reach/1 hour- 2 MB

I just want every one to see this because I hear " that will use all my data " , or " I will get caught for using wifi tether" which is very untrue. Another myth is that it lags like hell which is also false, I maintain 4 bars constant with no latency or low frame rate. Try it and you will be pleasantly happy with it. Can people with other consoles run some tests to and possibly get a sticky?

Cheers!
WilfulHippo

OP
WilfulHippo

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Droid x liberty 2.0.1 about to be gingerbread :pP

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

A

abn75

Simple fact of the matter is that unless you are paying for tether it is theft os paid service. Saying its ok because you only use x amount of data is the same as saying its ok to steal from x store because u item only cost z amount. Theft is theft. Eventually you will get caught. At such point they can legally charge you with theft.

sent from my GB DX

Reaction score
Simple fact of the matter is that unless you are paying for tether it is theft os paid service. Saying its ok because you only use x amount of data is the same as saying its ok to steal from x store because u item only cost z amount. Theft is theft. Eventually you will get caught. At such point they can legally charge you with theft.

sent from my GB DX

Eh, I rationalize it with the following:

I technically already paid for it. And the only thing I tether for is to surf on my cr 48 laptop on youtube or other websites which are things I would be doing on my phone anyways, the only difference is that the laptop is faster and has a bigger screen. Data consumption would be close to the same. and I also tether my ipod so it can connect to pandora or update apps and stuff. And just for the record, id fall under the less than 2gb per month category of users which is 98% of us according to ATT. So for all intents and purposes I wouldn't call it stealing.

As for the OP, I would tether to my ps3 to test it out but two things are preventing that. The ps3 can't recognize ad hoc networks. And even if it could, the playstation network has been down for 6 days now

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

A

abn75

So because I already paid for one app from the android market I should get the rest for free right. I mean technically I already paid the market for using it on my phone. Or hey I already paid for one phone I should get every other one for free. I mean I have already paid once. Yeah I see where this is going. I mean hey, just cause its stealing it doesn't matter cause I already paid once right? And while we are at it I only want to pay for one item from a store and get everything else free. After all it is all coming from the same place, and I'm the one using it. I did pay for one after all.

sent from my GB DX

Reaction score
So because I already paid for one app from the android market I should get the rest for free right. I mean technically I already paid the market for using it on my phone. Or hey I already paid for one phone I should get every other one for free. I mean I have already paid once. Yeah I see where this is going. I mean hey, just cause its stealing it doesn't matter cause I already paid once right? And while we are at it I only want to pay for one item from a store and get everything else free. After all it is all coming from the same place, and I'm the one using it. I did pay for one after all.

sent from my GB DX

That's a poor example. Its 30 dollars every month for something marketed as unlimited data.

Your example is buying one app in the market, and that somehow gives you ownership of every app on the market from thousands of independent devs.

I stated the reasons for my tethering. Its easier to navigate the web on a laptop than on my phone. If I was unable to tether, then I would just go to those websites on my phone, which would use the same amount of data. It costs verizon the same amount of money regardless of whether I use my phone or laptop to reach those sites.

Again, for all intents and purposes, and my average data consumption (I've heard some people come close to 100gb a month) , I wouldn't consider it stealing.

Last edited:
A

abn75

No..it's a great example. You are stating that its ok to tether because you already paid for data. So by your own logic because someone already paid for one thing they should be able to get the rest of the paid products for free, after all its all going to the same place. Its all theft. So why not right. After all its not like its hurting the market for someone to get all those apps, one did get paid for. Or the store. Or the phone manufacturer. Or the dev. See how that logic goes? Or is it only ok to steal data from vzw? Double standard there much?

sent from my GB DX

Reaction score
No..it's a great example. You are stating that its ok to tether because you already paid for data. So by your own logic because someone already paid for one thing they should be able to get the rest of the paid products for free, after all its all going to the same place. Its all theft. So why not right. After all its not like its hurting the market for someone to get all those apps, one did get paid for. Or the store. Or the phone manufacturer. Or the dev. See how that logic goes? Or is it only ok to steal data from vzw? Double standard there much?

sent from my GB DX

Your logic seems...flawed.

Let's say I use 2 gb of data this month, most of it was from my laptop. Verizon catches me, and charges me the 20 that month for tethering.

Next month, I use 2gb of data, but its entirely from my phones normal data usage.

2gb of data costs the same whether it was on the laptop or the phone. It cost verizon the same amount of money.

I don't see the relation you're making with your various examples, like "if you buy one phone, you should get them all free since you already paid for one".

You act as if I'm one of the "abusers" of the network who consistently clocks in an average of 60 gigs of data a month

A

abn75

My logic is flawed? No good sir. I am putting your own logic into different terms. In both cases it is theft. My example is of items. Yours is of a paid service. The actual amount of the data used is not the issue. The issue is that instead of paying for something, it is being stolen. You justify this by claiming its only x amount of data and you would visit the sites on your mobile device anyway. That is well and fine to do so, as the data plan you pay for clearly states it is for use on said mobile device. It is when said mobile data plan is used to tether any other device that the theft occurs, no matter the amount of data involved, nor if said data would be used anyway. Theft, regardless of if it is of a service or a product is still theft. There is no valid reason for it, no justification to do so.

sent from my GB DX

Reaction score
My logic is flawed? No good sir. I am putting your own logic into different terms. In both cases it is theft. My example is of items. Yours is of a paid service. The actual amount of the data used is not the issue. The issue is that instead of paying for something, it is being stolen. You justify this by claiming its only x amount of data and you would visit the sites on your mobile device anyway. That is well and fine to do so, as the data plan you pay for clearly states it is for use on said mobile device. It is when said mobile data plan is used to tether any other device that the theft occurs, no matter the amount of data involved, nor if said data would be used anyway. Theft, regardless of if it is of a service or a product is still theft. There is no valid reason for it, no justification to do so.

sent from my GB DX

The idea of stealing doesn't sit too well for me. You said there is no justification to do so. The reason I don't consider it stealing (regardless of whatever facts and terms/conditions there are) is because I'm not harming verizon at all financially.

A

abn75

The idea of stealing doesn't sit well with you, yet you admit to doing so. Now that sir is flawed.

sent from my GB DX

Reaction score
The idea of stealing doesn't sit well with you, yet you admit to doing so. Now that sir is flawed.

sent from my GB DX

I thought I made it clear by now when I said "I don't consider it stealing" and that I rationalized it because of the fact that it causes zero harm to verizon.