LG Lucid 2 - Data Usage when phone is off

KellyNormand

Reaction score
I have an LG Lucid 2. During the first 2 weeks of May I was on vacation and had very spotty internet coverage for my laptop, so I connect my phone as a hotspot. I knew this would increase my monthly data usage (which has been at 3 GB for a couple of years), when I got an alert that I was at 75% usage, I upped my data for the additional $10 per month fee. A few days later I got another alert and had to up the data limit again.

I got back from my vacation a few days ago and took a look at my data usage details. I have a couple of questions:

My data usage details shows that my phone used, sometimes up to 180 MB, in the middle of the night. I shut my phone off when I go to bed, then plug it in and leave it next to my bed. How is it possible for it to use data when it is completely powered off?

Also, I know that using a hotspot will use a lot of data. The usage detail is saying that I used over 3 GB in 2 weeks. Does that sound right? I probably sent 50 - 60 emails (no attachments), uploaded about 25 webpages (a few images), viewed about 6 or 7 YouTube videos, browsed various sites - Facebook, weather, news, on line shopping. I suppose it is possible, but it seems like a lot.

I just spoke with Verizon and they told me that it should not be using data if it is powered off. They said they would submit a ticket to look into it, but that the ticket cannot be filed until this billing cycle ends (June 1).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum Kelly.

Haven't heard of this before and agree that data should not be used when the phone is off. VZW does have the ability to verify whether or not your phone was active or not during those hours.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I called them about data usage awhile back, they stated that the posted time is not the actual time of use. For example, if you view a 50 MB video at 9:00 P.M., it may not post until 2:00 A.M. Verizon's data usage has never been reported in real time.

I'm not saying that I agree with that practice, because frankly, you should be able to tell when and how your data was used, but I'm just a peon customer.