Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

dscrap

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my GS3 for just under two weeks and love it. However, this morning I left for work and had it on my passenger seat in my car and when I got out of my car I noticed a crack going from the top of the phone straight down to the home button. The phone was not droped or anything and was fine before I left for work. I didn't even use it. I've read online that a few other people have had the same thing happen to them. Would Verizon swap it out for me? It is obviously a manufactures defect. I am reall disappointed that it happened. I just got the phone and signed a two year contract... depressed.

Jelem1880

Reaction score
I would call Verizon and see what they can do for you. If that doesn't help then call Samsung because it should be covered under a warranty somewhere but check all your paperwork.

huskur

Reaction score
Walk into VZW and they will replace it. If it shows no other damage they will believe you and will do the right thing. They don't lose money doing it for you. Just a little of their time. They will get reimbursed by Samsung in the end

Caesars

Reaction score
Aye, as long as no scuffs are on your device, id assume they will believe you.

Good luck!

Googorola MAXX

kparks

Reaction score
Caesars said:
Aye, as long as no scuffs are on your device, id assume they will believe you.

Good luck!

Googorola MAXX

Yea right good luck.. was it hot the sun might of cracked it... [ and do the right thing hahaha this is Samsung they don't even fix there faulty plasma tv's just search Samsung internal cracks... [ they will tell u it was abused and u will be out whatever money it cost to replace

OP
D

dscrap

Reaction score
Well I went to a Verizon store and was told it wouldn't be covered. They said any cracked screens are considered customer abuse. I explained that I didn't drop it or any other thing that the screen just cracked. The rep said there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to a manager and the rep said the Regional Manager was in the back. I asked to speak to him and the rep went in the back and came back a few minutes later and said the Regional Manager was busy and couldn't talk to me for at least an hour or two. I was shocked. Then the rep said I could get insurance and call after 24 hours to file a claim, but it was going to cost me $6.95 a month plus $100 deductible. He said I could go the the BJ's Club around the corner and ask for Jose the Manager there and see if he could swap it.

So I went and asked for Jose and the rep there said he was on break. So I explained the situation again and was told the same thing. They wouldn't do anything for me since the screen being cracked meant abuse. The screen itself has one hairline crack from the home button to the top of the phone with a few more smaller cracks which have developed on the edges of the phone. He said there were no reported issues with the phone. I asked him when Jose the manager was coming back and he called him on his cell. Then after telling him the issue the rep hands me the phone and says he wants to talk to you. I got on the phone and Jose said that there was nothing he or anyone else could do for me. Now that's two managers one a general manager and the other a regional manager that didn't even have the time to talk to a customer of 10 years. I can't believe they wouldn't even show their faces....

I then asked the rep if there was anything he suggested I do and he gave me the phone number for Samsung and said try calling them. He also said he could put the insurance on the phone since I only had it for 12 days. I told him to add it. I asked if I could return the phone and he said I have until 9pm tomorrow to return it, but if it was damaged they would charge me $749 plus the $50 restocking fee. He said my best bet is to file a insurance claim after 24 hours.

I am at a loss for words. I wish I never purchased this phone... I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow and maybe Verizon Corporate. If that doesn't work, then I'll have no choice but to file the insurance claim.

mkstn

Reaction score
What they are telling you to do is of course illegal~ I saw one other post about a cracked screen and he claimed that it was not dropped. Since I dropped and broke my original Droid several years ago I have always taken out insurance. If I
were in your situation I would bit the bullet and just switch carriers. Be sure to let upper management know why you are switching. go with AT&T or T Mobile for two years. Not everyone with an issue tells the truth but some do. Will see if cracked screens becomes an issue in the future. Thanks for posting.

SUNNYSMOOTHE

Reaction score
Good luck with Asurion. I filed a claim for a lost phone on July 16 and just today I had to talk to Asurion management and got her to send me the white version. Asurion has been out of stock and on back order for the SIII. I didn't want to wait for the blue one in which she said may or may not come next week so I settled with the White. If I were you, I file a claim right away and get on that backorder list cause I already know that white version will not stay in stock long.

kparks

Reaction score
Yea commit insurance fraud lol that's great advice from the top techs at vzw that's our 30$ upgrade fees hard at work! They literally employ the dumbest people I have ever met in my life...

Sectime

Reaction score
Yea commit insurance fraud lol that's great advice from the top techs at vzw that's our 30$ upgrade fees hard at work! They literally employ the dumbest people I have ever met in my life...
So if he bought the insurance 10 minutes before the crack, in your world it's ok and he is just lucky. But buy the insurance, by the rules, but after the crack is fraud?? How so? Payout is the same, I don't see a problem. By the way Apple told me the same thing when I dropped my 4S next day after I bought it.

kparks

Reaction score
Sectime said:
So if he bought the insurance 10 minutes before the crack, in your world it's ok and he is just lucky. But buy the insurance, by the rules, but after the crack is fraud?? How so? Payout is the same, I don't see a problem. By the way Apple told me the same thing when I dropped my 4S next day after I bought it.

R u serious lol.. Yes it's insurance fraud!! u think if ur house floods then after its flooded u call and get flood insurance that's ok haha this is the same thing.. And yes in my world! called real life its fraud because the insurance company looses money when u make a claim they make money on the month to month payment what's to stop ppl buying the phone getting the insurance making the claim getting the new device then cancel the insurance exactly THE LAW!

Sectime

Reaction score
R u serious lol.. Yes it's insurance fraud!! u think if ur house floods then after its flooded u call and get flood insurance that's ok haha.. And yes in my world! called real life its fraud because the insurance company looses money when u make a claim
If the company tells you to buy the insurance after the fact, like the OP posted, and my experience with Apple, then your argument is silly. But to each their own:blink:
R u able to see ur post ? haha :biggrin:

kparks

Reaction score
Sectime said:
If the company tells you to buy the insurance after the fact, like the OP posted and my experience with Apple then your argument is silly. But to each their own:blink:

The company vzw and the insurance company are two different company's there gonna tell u what ever to get u to leave and it's not there problem. "My argument is silly" ur obviously not to bright to not know this.. it is illegal and carries a heavy penalty if caught! If ur not sure on the LAWS u should not give advice to people.... u can NOT break ur device. then take out insurance and make a claim after its broke. Obviously the customer reps u talked to are not informed and should not be telling people this