Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

kparks

Reaction score
liftedplane said:
Three problem is that it doesn't seem like he broke his phone, it seems to be a genuine manufacturer defect. Not to mention Verizon gives you 14 days to add insurance so... Anything within that fourteen days I'd call it good.

This isn't home insurance this isn't a 50k car... It's a phone for under 1000, asurion doesn't pay full price either so honestly you crying fraud is stupid.

Hopefully this becomes something that forces a recall, I've seen a few posts about this happening however I've not seen other phones with issues like this.

This is specifically why i buy from best buy, their insurance is awesome and would cover this in a heartbeat. Sure list and stolen isn't, but everything else and no deductible. For ten a month, i was sold.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

I don't see how it's stupid it may just be a phone but it's still 600$ and if everyone who broke there phone did this they would be out of business or phone insurance will cost even more than it does now. and they do give u a certain amount of time to add the insurance but if it's broke then that's a different story.. And yes I believe the OP that it just broke glass does have defects but that's a samsung problem not a insurance problem!

tdperry

Reaction score
Exactly.. now if u do it with the phone and do it right u prolly won't get caught but if u do and they want to go after u its a serious offense and after talking to vzw it may or may not be marked on ur account... But that does not change the fact that it's still fraud!

Last I heard you could not file a claim for 45 days after placing the device under warranty unless you got it when you purchased the phone.

TAPPED in on my locked bootloader Verizon S3

jgmecarter

Reaction score
I had a battery issue with my S3. I called and they told me that I had to pay for a new one which the price was 283$ and when they got the phone back the would pit the money back into my account. Did you try calling Verizon or did you just go into the store. I was get a lot more help when I call them. And if I do not get the answer that I am looking for I hang up and try again. Verizon will work with you.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I cant believe this is happening, look at comments to.

[video=youtube;aFQ14_8XDqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQ14_8XDqQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's fraud....it's a generally accepted practice that you can "add insurance now and make a claim". Obviously they have some sort of system worked out to accommodate this. Maybe they realize they will keep insurance after this good faith effort, maybe Verizon eats this cost from asurion....one things for sure, this happens all the time, and if fraud took place they either don't care or already have it worked out.

Googorola MAXX

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I cant believe this is happening, look at comments to.

[video=youtube;aFQ14_8XDqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQ14_8XDqQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Do you think it might actually be gorilla glass and not samsung? maybe it's a bad batch of the glass.

shortsxit

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's fraud....it's a generally accepted practice that you can "add insurance now and make a claim". Obviously they have some sort of system worked out to accommodate this. Maybe they realize they will keep insurance after this good faith effort, maybe Verizon eats this cost from asurion....one things for sure, this happens all the time, and if fraud took place they either don't care or already have it worked out.

Googorola MAXX

It's a generally accepted practice that you can not pay premiums, break something, then add insurance and make the insurance company foot the bill? Do you understand what insurance is?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a generally accepted practice that you can not pay premiums, break something, then add insurance and make the insurance company foot the bill? Do you understand what insurance is?

wow..

in·sur·ance/inˈSHo͝orəns/

Noun:
  1. A practice by which a company provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment...
  2. The business of providing such an arrangement.

Verizon offers a 14 day grace period correct?

Definition for grace period:

Web definitions:
A grace period is a time past the deadline for an obligation during which a late penalty that would have been imposed is waived. ....

therefore if anything happens within that 14 day grace period you are fine... you buy the phone, don't get insurance and two days later you run it over with your car you then think to yourself... maybe I should have got the insurance... that is why there is a grace period, to allow you to add the insurance. I'm pretty sure after the 14 days you cannot add insurance and you're boned if this happens.

so though it may technically be fraud, which btw

fraud/frôd/

Noun:
  1. Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
  2. A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

it's more likely that asurion realized they will get more customers by allowing said 14 day grace period.

at least it's not like this http://www.cellular-news.com/story/31423.php

drunkclever

Reaction score
Very weird. The verizon reps obviously didn't want anything to do with you. My case in point...

I had bought a new droid x and my wify was all pissed at me for spending the night with my "friends". When I got home she was pissed off at me she took a hammer and smashed my phone to bits. Its only been 3 days since I had it. I went back to verizon and they switched it out for a new one no problems. Who ever you went to suck balls. Have you tried another store?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
liftedplane said:
Do you think it might actually be gorilla glass and not samsung? maybe it's a bad batch of the glass.

That Idk but my opinion I thank they definitely use something different then Moto. I've still have not scratched my OG Droid or Bionic but I know on the Nexus they used "fortified" glass and it scratched easy and now people talking about scratching their S3s so easily and them breaking randomly. Idk, this ain't a favor for Moto I just thank their using something different.

So is gorilla glass a company or is it a type a glass several companies make?

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
INCREMENTAL said:

I am pretty sure its only made by corning ands its a registered trademark so nobody else can use the name. Of course, I have been wrong before..

huskur

Reaction score
That Idk but my opinion I thank they definitely use something different then Moto. I've still have not scratched my OG Droid or Bionic but I know on the Nexus they used "fortified" glass and it scratched easy and now people talking about scratching their S3s so easily and them breaking randomly. Idk, this ain't a favor for Moto I just thank their using something different.

Keep in mind that this a "second generation" gorilla glass. It supposedly has some flex to it and is half as thin as standard generation one gorilla glass.

mkstn

Reaction score
One thing to understand the S3 glass is not totally flat. I believe that it has a slight curve and that could be an issue
that they did not count on!

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
mkstn said:
One thing to understand the S3 glass is not totally flat. I believe that it has a slight curve and that could be an issue
that they did not count on!

The Nexus has more of a curve then anything but I guess if this new generation isn't as thick it could be a issue. Sounds like gorilla glass 2 needs to go down the road lol

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
huskur said:
Keep in mind that this a "second generation" gorilla glass. It supposedly has some flex to it and is half as thin as standard generation one gorilla glass.

U have a point but thin or thick, that doesn't explain the easier to scratch.