samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by ebrizzle, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Your response was so fascinating and useful....

Googorola MAXX

2. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just read this entire thread.. Going to continue to be very careful with my new S3...it clearly isn't as durable as my old droid x/x2 or Razr..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

3. MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now I feel like it's a must to use two hands when operating my phone. Such horror stories. Add to that the excellent level of customer service Verizon is known for.

4. MandoChapman

MandoChapman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine just broke from the smallest fall I've ever had a phone experience... I laid down on my driveway to look under my car, my 2 week old S3 slid out of my pocket,maybe an inch to the ground while I was on my back, picked it up and the screen was shattered. Unbelievable. Had a case on order, but too late for that now. Want to raise a stink to let Verizon and Samsung know this is obviously an issue. I baby this phone other than this one miss-hap.

5. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    You dropped the phone on concrete without protection and the glass broke, and how is this Samsungs or Verizons fault. Hope you have insurance.

6. oohsixman

oohsixman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep viewing these smart azz comments in response to questions being posed about the samsung 3 glass. Bottomline the screen is very cheap and extremely fragile. I have owned the samsung galaxy 1 and samsung galaxy 2. I never encountered this issue with the predecessors. This by far has the cheapest glass in a smartphone currently out. It will be a miracle if anybody can make it two years without replacing the glass. I personally had mine crack after being enclosed in a very protective case and falling all of 18 inches onto a PLUSH carpeted floor. If you search the internet. These are an unreal amount of customers that are experiencing the same issue.

7. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    I just did numerous drops of my S3 on my carpeted floor from 6 feet, nothing, nada, no damage. maybe I will have to post the stress test link by CNet, makes me wonder how that S3 survived after all it went through. People need to understand, these devices are not made to be TOSSED around, reminds me of my destructive nephew, at least he understands the consequences of his actions.

8. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great.

1) Gorilla glass is a well made glass.
    2) This does not mean anything other then it is just a form of reinforced glass.
    3) It can and will be scratched by keys, coins, small particles like dust, sand, and even jello for that matter.
    4) It can and will shatter if dropped.
    5) Its not indestructible and was never meant to be.....Its just a stonger glass with the purpose of limiting or to help prevent damage of cheaper old glass...and plastic screens that scratched much more.
    6) Bottom line....put on a screen protector or deal with the risks of not having one.

#44 HolyGrail, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  9. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
  10. halame

halame New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: despite specifically asking the rep at Radio Shack if the Werx did this phone and if it would be replaced with the factory screen and he confidently said yes, Werx returned the phone promptly without a note and without being repaired and left a voice mail message (hilarious, right?) that they didn't repair this phone AND they were sending a refund check -$25 for shipping. Don't send your Galaxy S III to Werx. I'm so frustrated.

#46 halame, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think people are misinterpreting what is on their phones. It is glass. Reinforced glass, but glass just the same. Glass breaks when hit. Sometimes it can take a hard hit like a baseball bat to a windshield, or a small hit like a pebble bouncing off the pavement and shattering the windshield. Both will break your glass windshield.
    I suspect the real reason people are having "more" problems with his phone is because the screen is so big. Past phones have had smaller screens, and the smaller the screen the harder it is to damage. That, and the fact that this phone is so damn slick without a case, causing more inadvertent drops.

12. tda1

tda1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THANK YOU oohsixman!!

Yes, MOST of us understand that it is a delicate piece of equipment and "should" be handled with care. Yes, some of you are more careful with your "new toy". Congratulations for you! For many of us, it is a "tool", it is made to be portable, it needs to be able to withstand "potential" small mishaps. It is disheartening that some of you take the "carrier's" line, hook and sinker, that any damage to a screen is automatically the users fault. In the case mentioned here, it is a manufacture's defect. From the comments that I've read here, it may be a bad run of the glass. Mine and others, have glass cracked or shattered from insignificant impacts. Others seem to survive multiples of the same type of impact. The phone needs to be able to survive "normal" use. For a portable telephone that gets carried around on your person, that means some bumps and scratches. Period. I have no doubt that Samsung will fix it, or already have. My doubt is whether they will do anything for all of us with either the crappy glass, or the bad manufacturer's "run" on the glass.

Search tags for this page
does galaxy s3 have gorilla glass
does samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

galaxy s3 gorilla glass

s3 gorilla glass

samsung galaxy s3 glass replacement

samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass replacement
samsung s3 gorilla glass