samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by ebrizzle, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

Now this does sound like Sammy's fault
  2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I don't think he was saying it was Samsung's fault but that he had other phones that survived similar drops whereas his gs3 is more fragile...unlike his other phones.
  3. Nicksdc

Nicksdc New Member

Inaccurate. I don't know how to measure my usage compared to what would be considered the average, but I do not excessively drop my phone. For half a decade I've been sporting touchscreen phones. In that time frame, there were dozens of bumps and falls. I've had two S3's. I would like to say they underwent my average use of a phone, but I didn't even them have them long enough before they cracked. Now I'm not blaming Sammy, but there is a reason why these posts are surfacing.
  4. kyle10

kyle10 New Member

I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in this. If u own a phone like this why would u not buy an otter box to be SURE you won't break it? I mean or at least a case. I drop mine all the time but thats wwhat the otter box is for. I have an otter box on my iPod old Droid incredible and my so and I will probably always buy otterbox cases for all my phones.Just saying.

Sent from my rooted galaxy s3
  5. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

I'm careful with my expensive toys.learned that as a kid. Sometimes I drop it by accident but it has never cracked. If it does, that's my fault for dropping it. When we were younger,we'd have a parent yelling at us. Instead, we have grown adults wanting to tell at some one else.
    Go figure.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  6. jeasan

jeasan New Member

My glass is broken as well

I feel your pain! I am SO mad at myself right now. I have had this phone for about a month, went to get the Otterbox (I am rough w my phones) and it wasn't available yet. So I had a screen protector and the 2 part rubber and hard plastic case on it. I was just walking up the stairs w my phone in my hand and tripped, caught myself with my hand fisted around my phone and the bottom right corner is completely shattered. Yes, I put undue pressure on my phone. Yes, its a fragile piece of technology. Yes, I am irresponsible toddler. What's a girl to do though? The phone is too large to fit in my back or jacket pocket and most of my purses. It really does seem that the phone is much more fragile than phones I've had in the past. I do not have insurance (it's a company phone) nor do I have $600... I guess I'm going to go ahead and try replacing the glass, I have nothing to lose. Any feedback on replacement glass would be appreciated.

PS. I'm new to this forum, I came across it when I googled 'replacement screen for GS3'. It's disappointing to see how people are treated on this forum just looking for answers. I wanna punch stupid people in the throat as much as the next guy, but seriously, every post doesn't have to be responded to with a nasty comment.
  7. jeasan

jeasan New Member

It ain't cheap, but it's a fix...

Simpson: The cost of repair cost for replacing the screen of the phone is approximately $ 178.61.
    Simpson: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).
    Simpson: Can I help you with anything else?
    ME: no, thank you, you've been very helpful
    Simpson: You are welcome.
    Simpson: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day
  8. kyle10

kyle10 New Member

I would buy the digitizer and or LCD myself and replace it with YouTube instrustions. It would save alot of money.

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S3- stock JB leak
    HTC Incredible- JB Inc RC3
  9. pamelak

pamelak New Member

BROKE in a 2 ft DROP- SHATTERED!!!

My phone dropped out of my apron at work and SHATTERED!!! It worked for about half a day and then died. I had the original Galaxy and LOVED it for two years! I dropped that thing too many times to mention and IT NEVER EVEN SCRATCHED!!! Now a 600 $ phone touted to have this magic Gorilla glass and It shatters w/i only 3 months???
    WTF???? I loves this phone but NOW I HATE it and warn EVERYONE!!!!
  10. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

Gorilla glass is just like any other fortified glass, they are all scratch proof to a certain extend "not shatter proof from drops directly impacting the glass", and anything over 10H hardness rating will also scratch the glass, like a steel knife with over 10H rating, or a diamond or a sand crystal, not anywhere have I seen a manufacturer of fortified glass claim it is shatter proof, it's still glass, and glass has a crazy tendency to shatter when dropped on a hard surface.
  11. EricUnLtd

EricUnLtd New Member

Man, people are pretty rough on phones lol. Thank goodness I haven't had any cracked screen incidents.
  12. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge New Member

Broke the screen on my S3 today... I dropped it from about 30" out of the truck door onto the crushed stone driveway, broke in 2 spots.. I've been paying 3yrs for assuring, finally time to use it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Brian72

Brian72 New Member

That sucks. Did you have a case on it? If so, what kind? On crushed stone I'd imagine there are not many cases that would prevent the glass impact.

Keep this in mind on the insurance: 3 years at $7/month plus $100 deductible = $352. Cost to fix your cracked glass through Samsung = $178. While it's nice to save $78 now, you're still behind. The insurance is mainly for lost/stolen phones or phones that are pretty much obliterated by damage. But if you like the peace of mind and don't notice the $7/month then it may be worth it. Depends on the individual I guess.
  14. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge New Member

Previous to getting a smartphone. I had been getting good use out of my insurance. once I got my Og droid I was a lot more careful after that. It'd rather not go without my phone and my insurance is just another business expense. It's a miracle I haven't run it over yet with my skid steer or mower. I do landscaping and lots of opportunities for carnage. I'm wondering if I should leave jelly wiz on it when I send it in:D

15. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge New Member

Got my assurion phone in 18hrs from the time I placed my claim...gotta say they are fast...phone seems perfect,not a mark or scratch anywhere.Using it makes me realize how much better jelly wiz is over stock ics...gotta do something about it today..

16. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge New Member

This is my first experience with assurion and a smartphone and I'm very happy with what I got.I restored the old phone to stock using Odin, and rooted the new one with no problems..

17. simonxp

simonxp New Member

18. add119

add119 Member

I think is more space also most phones are to thin and easy break. It doesn't have volume like physical keyboard or like old touch screen from 2010 or lower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  19. tda1

tda1 New Member

S3 DEFECTIVE GORILLA GLASS 2, You are not alone and it is not all of the S3's

Read the notes, and the signers stories.

http://www.change.org/petitions/spr...laxy-s3-s-that-have-defective-gorilla-glass-2
  20. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Well-Known Member

What's interesting is I had an almost identical fall on Friday. Was on my lap when I got out of my jeep and dropped a good 3ish feet. I have a Seido active case and screen protector....not a dent, scratch, or knick. Almost exactly how I broke my Rezound, though in that case it was nekkid and slid across the ground a bit....but shattered immediately.

Screen protectors are what help glass from cracking, not cases. Cases are for the phone itself. Youtube it if you don't believe me!
Search tags for this page

does galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the s3 have gorilla glass

does the samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

galaxy s3 gorilla glass

radio shack screen repair galaxy s3

s3 gorilla glass

samsung galaxy s3 glass replacement

samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass replacement