Future Vision of Corning's Gorilla Glass in Video

m3kilpat

Reaction score
Cool concepts, but last I checked glass doesn't power itself nor have any processing power. How would 85% of what they showed work?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pretty cool stuff, but at the same time...I'm pretty sure all of us are ADDICTED to our devices. Ever feel like your phone is vibrating in your pocket, and when you go to check it, you remember it's somewhere else (ghost leg vibrations?). Ever pass your laptop or your phone, and check for new mail...even though you had just looked 39 seconds ago?!?!?! I love media and information and communication tools at my fingertips, but that kind of an integrated household will probably put all of us in 12-step programs for DIA (digital information addiction). ;)

-Matt

Newton122189

Reaction score
I think this concept isn't taking into account how unbelievably destructive mankind is. That bus stop would probably be spray painted, drawn on, and and smashed within a week. Not to mention who wants to be in a car when the whole dashboard is made of glass, car accidents would have glass shrapnel flying into the passengers almost assuredly.

moosez3

Reaction score
Smart super awesome glass: Available to 1% of world population

Is it earthquake and tsunami proof? (too soon?)

yes

Cool concepts, but last I checked glass doesn't power itself nor have any processing power. How would 85% of what they showed work?

Maybe that was a side point, this is no ordinary glass... it thinks??
:icon_eek:

zodder

Reaction score
I have a ton of GLW stock. Not only do I hope to see this cool stuff soon, but hopefully I'll be able to retire because of it too :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I agree with what a few of the people said here.

1. Yeah it looks amazing, but what is the power source for all of this going to be? Will these devices require battery power or a charger? How much more costly would a home of electronic glass be on a person's utility bill and if it is costly, I agree: amazing technology, available to the small percentage of the population that can afford to keep it powered.

2. Indeed as amazing as it is, there's a scary element to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's all of the recognition, or the fact the various data transfer they simulate seems so easy, or maybe it's all the things around you that you can touch, leaving both input and fingerprint data. When she walked into the clothing store it reminded me of a movie where someone walks into a clothing store and the hologram displays altered to suit that person's likes - that sort of thing is creepy in my opinion; a stranger, a digital stranger at that, that knows my interests? No thanks...

3. Yes! Invest in glass cleaner stock now! "A day of glass...completely smudged by countless fingerprints." lol

kickyindahead

Reaction score

1. Yeah it looks amazing, but what is the power source for all of this going to be? Will these devices require battery power or a charger? How much more costly would a home of electronic glass be on a person's utility bill and if it is costly, I agree: amazing technology, available to the small percentage of the population that can afford to keep it powered.

2. Indeed as amazing as it is, there's a scary element to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's all of the recognition, or the fact the various data transfer they simulate seems so easy, or maybe it's all the things around you that you can touch, leaving both input and fingerprint data. When she walked into the clothing store it reminded me of a movie where someone walks into a clothing store and the hologram displays altered to suit that person's likes - that sort of thing is creepy in my opinion; a stranger, a digital stranger at that, that knows my interests? No thanks...

3. Yes! Invest in glass cleaner stock now! "A day of glass...completely smudged by countless fingerprints." lol

Awesome idear .. but i have said it a million times before and all my friends think im crazy .. but technology will soon rule the world and this video was proof of happening soon. Robots will rule the world and use our human brains to fuel their batteries .. just wait and see .. no joke .. it really will happen .. LOL

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good lord...and you thought the BB made escaping work unbearable.

Silver Member
Reaction score

A combination of optical microchips, OLEDs and wireless power sourcing will solve most of those problems. Those technologies combined will require less power than your cell phone and have the potential to have big impacts.

I think this concept isn't taking into account how unbelievably destructive mankind is. That bus stop would probably be spray painted, drawn on, and and smashed within a week. Not to mention who wants to be in a car when the whole dashboard is made of glass, car accidents would have glass shrapnel flying into the passengers almost assuredly.

While Gorilla Glass is some of the strongest available, there are lots of steps and procedures that we already follow to make glass nearly indestructable. Just the curing process alone can make glass more flexible than plastic.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I found it to be a bit of a stretch video chatting via the table... there was no camera, making that impossible... Still a pretty awesome video, though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I found it to be a bit of a stretch video chatting via the table... there was no camera, making that impossible... Still a pretty awesome video, though.

They day someone wants to have a teleconference while they're on the can is where I draw the line. I don't even like talking business at the trough.