Galaxy Nexus May Not Use Corning's Gorilla Glass, but it Does use 'Fortified Glass'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;WpbOoQpwAFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WpbOoQpwAFs[/video]​

If you were one of the folks concerned that the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus would not be sporting the world-famous Gorilla Glass by Corning, then you can probably put your mind at ease. According to sources within Samsung, the new ICS superphone may not use the Corning brand of strengthened glass, but it uses a different brand of "fortified glass." Samsung didn't give any specifics as to which brand they were using, but doing a little digging there are a few different brands that it could be.

In fact, the folks over at PhoneArena went to the trouble of finding a video of a competitor product video demonstration. The video above is of "Dragontail" glass from a company called Asahi. The demonstration is pretty impressive. It's important to reiterate that this particular glass has not been confirmed in any way to be on the Galaxy Nexus, but it is a good example of what is available.

What do you think of this news? Does it make a difference for you?

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

chowyenfats

Reaction score
They didn't say for a reason and I doubt if it's dragon glass, it's most likely a cheaper form of fortified glass to make there price point, will it be as good as GG, looks like time will only tell.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Why don't they make windows in vehicles out of this stuff? It looks like a halfway point between shatter proof and bulletproof. I haven't researched it but so far though I haven't seen them test a large sheet of this type of reinforced glass. Take a 55 inch sheet and apply pressure right in the center; how long will it hold up? If it holds up well, why not replace a standard vehicle windshield with this glass and launch small stones at it?

otmlb1128

Reaction score
Why don't they make windows in vehicles out of this stuff? It looks like a halfway point between shatter proof and bulletproof. I haven't researched it but so far though I haven't seen them test a large sheet of this type of reinforced glass. Take a 55 inch sheet and apply pressure right in the center; how long will it hold up? If it holds up well, why not replace a standard vehicle windshield with this glass and launch small stones at it?

I feel like a whole windshield made out of this would be ridiculously expensive.

seminole1994

Reaction score
I don't think for one second that they would put some piece of junk plastic on this phone it will be just as good as gorilla glass

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Actually it's for safety, laminated glass will catch you a bit, slows you down. Earlier cars had harder tougher glass & accidents were ugly.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

matt2783

Reaction score

What do you think of this news?
[h=1][/h]I think you shouldn't make a story with the headline "Galaxy Nexus may not use Corning's Gorilla Glass, but it does use 'fortified glass", show me that video and then tell me it doesn't use that glass.