Corning Ups the Ante in High-Performance Resistance Glass with New 'Lotus Glass'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;6Cf7IL_eZ38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6Cf7IL_eZ38[/video]​

For several years now, Corning has been the most well-known manufacturer of high-performance resistance glass, with their "Gorilla Glass" product taking center-stage in the press and media. However, now they are taking things to a new level with an improved product they have dubbed, "Lotus Glass." Supposedly, this new glass is designed specifically with electronic devices in mind. This new glass isn't necessarily tougher than their existing Gorilla Glass, but according to the info provided, it will be easier for manufacturers to use in their products and will facilitate improved imaging and higher performance visuals. Here's a quick snippet from their press release,
“Corning Lotus Glass has a high annealing point that delivers the thermal and dimensional stability our customers require to produce high-performance displays,” said Andrew Filson, worldwide commercial director, Display Technologies, and vice president, Corning Holding Japan GK. “Because of its intrinsic stability, it can withstand the thermal cycles of customer processing better than conventional LCD glass substrates. This enables tighter design rules in advanced backplanes for higher resolution and faster response time.”
For those that are unfamiliar with what "the annealing point" is, here is a basic description taken from Wikipedia,
Annealing is a process of slowly cooling glass to relieve internal stresses after it was formed. The process may be carried out in a temperature-controlled kiln known as a Lehr.[1] Glass which has not been annealed is liable to crack or shatter when subjected to a relatively small temperature change or mechanical shock. Annealing glass is critical to its durability. If glass is not annealed, it will retain many of the thermal stresses caused by quenching and significantly decrease the overall strength of the glass.
Basically this means that the higher the annealing point, the stronger the glass will be, thus is born this new Lotus Glass for electronics. Corning's press release summed it up with, "The end result is a thin, portable display device that consumes less power while delivering superior picture quality." They gave no indication how soon we will see this new superior glass in any devices, but we will keep you apprised as more details are released. The video above is a forward-thinking vision of the future of Corning glass products made by the company themselves.

Source: Corning and Wikipedia

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Poor branding. Lotus sounds inferior to Gorilla glass. They should have named it Godzilla glass. Godzilla>>Gorilla>>Lotus

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This ad is terrible, IMO, we likely won't see anything like what they have here for quite some time. Why did they feel the need to make it like a 1980's ad predicting the future.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
A cool concept next thing you know someone will make the first cylon. That paper he had at the end looked
exactly like the paper from caprica

Not gonna happen yet sadly.

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

doublea500

Reaction score
Im sorry, this is so off topic. they make glass. Why arent they showing regular uses of glass for example- child drinking orange juice from a glass cup. something, i dont know, realistic. corning is not going to make the hardware for any of what they showed in the video. they just make the glass for it. tv glass, glass furniture, car glass... thats all. the one exeption to the video that was actually sweet was the bendable glass, not the paper one, the bendible one. for the paper, there already is something like that, its called plastic.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I saw this video awhile back, it's pretty cool

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of great ideas inside that I'm sure will be implemented in the future

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Poor branding. Lotus sounds inferior to Gorilla glass. They should have named it Godzilla glass. Godzilla>>Gorilla>>Lotus

I was thinking Dragon Glass (to knock on the new Dragontrail glass), but Godzilla will do....where's pdiddy when you need him?

bgrubb7

Reaction score

Why not skip the Godzilla and just go straight to... Chuck Norris Glass.

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Why not skip the Godzilla and just go straight to... Chuck Norris Glass.

b/c if you touched the glass, it would roundhouse kick you so hard, that your future great grand child would be born with a deformity.

sarreq

Reaction score
that's not even a new ad, it's been around since gorilla glass was announced

Jeyman

Reaction score
I am 22, will see this maybe when im 80. Ill have to be rich out my ass. If any of that really comes true in my life it be great knowing my kids can use it someday maybe. That is a big maybe too.

Did I say maybe?

also, posted months back?

R

RETG

Bet you start to see it in the next two years on high end phones and eventually dropping down as manufacturing increases. I bet in 1960 no one thought something like Gorilla glass would be around, and yet, two years later, it appeared. Too bad it took forty some years for it to find its niche.:biggrin: