From Liberty 2.0.1, Stock, Apex, CM7, etc. (ANY ROM) to Liberty GB

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Just for the record, the update to Liberty Toolbox (paid) that hit yesterday or the day before makes this a lot easier, coming from Froyo. It doesn't show the nightlies anymore; in the nightlies section there is one rooted GB download. You wipe and install that, download paid Liberty Toolbox and download .9 and wipe & install that, done. No more installing 73 different iterations of Liberty GB or messing with radio versions, lol.

shoobox

Reaction score
could you do this while using the Maderstock .340 file and not using a pc?

I really want to upgrade or change roms, yet this seems like more of a hassle then it will a pay off in the long run.

The maderstock .340 method does get you to .340 kind of, but it does not contain all of the files that the SBF has. I am not exactly sure what is missing, but I tried this method on another DX and GB would not install. Your best bet is, if you are wanting to get to GB, is to SBF then install the two part rooted version. Just follow the instructions above. That is the best way.

I agree. Maderstock will NOT work.

OP
K
Reaction score
Just for the record, the update to Liberty Toolbox (paid) that hit yesterday or the day before makes this a lot easier, coming from Froyo. It doesn't show the nightlies anymore; in the nightlies section there is one rooted GB download. You wipe and install that, download paid Liberty Toolbox and download .9 and wipe & install that, done. No more installing 73 different iterations of Liberty GB or messing with radio versions, lol.

Can you post more detailed instructions on this method? I might ask some poor guinea pig on a diff. FroYo ROM to give it a shot and let me know if it works so I can update my post. It would make it easier for everyone on FroYo, even though there may not be a lot of those left. Unfortunately, for anyone who's running stock GB, SBF is their only choice (at least for now.)

zer0ed77

Reaction score

Thank you!

Are you able to elaborate on this process? Not sure I understand. My GF's X has Liberty 2.0.1. Are you saying just install Liberty GB 0.9 and all should be well? That's veryt contrary to the directions. I am afraid all I see in Nightlies is 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9. I check every day. None of these will work if coming from 2.0.1 Lib.

To be honest, I would rather install many different version than SBFing. I miss the old path. Was so easy. This is driving me crazy.

OP
K
Reaction score

Thank you!

Are you able to elaborate on this process? Not sure I understand. My GF's X has Liberty 2.0.1. Are you saying just install Liberty GB 0.9 and all should be well? That's veryt contrary to the directions. I am afraid all I see in Nightlies is 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9. I check every day. None of these will work if coming from 2.0.1 Lib.

To be honest, I would rather install many different version than SBFing. I miss the old path. Was so easy. This is driving me crazy.

If you try to install LGB 0.x over 2.0.1, you'll have to SBF to get the phone to work again. However, SBF isn't as scary as you think it is, unless your cat has a nasty habit of chewing on the USB cable while you're going through the SBF process. You can have this whole thing done in an hour. Don't fret. It's easy.

And, you pretty much committed to the possibility of SBFing the phone when you installed a custom ROM. If anything happens to the phone, you're going to want to SBF it before you send it in so you don't get a $600 bill for it. And knowing how to do that when it happens would be very, very useful.

If you follow the step by step process above, I assure you you'll have LGB 0.x running on your phone in no time. And you'll be stoked about it because now you know you can return your phone from the depths of brickville.

zer0ed77

Reaction score

Thank you!

If you try to install LGB 0.x over 2.0.1, you'll have to SBF to get the phone to work again. However, SBF isn't as scary as you think it is, unless your cat has a nasty habit of chewing on the USB cable while you're going through the SBF process. You can have this whole thing done in an hour. Don't fret. It's easy.

And, you pretty much committed to the possibility of SBFing the phone when you installed a custom ROM. If anything happens to the phone, you're going to want to SBF it before you send it in so you don't get a $600 bill for it. And knowing how to do that when it happens would be very, very useful.

If you follow the step by step process above, I assure you you'll have LGB 0.x running on your phone in no time. And you'll be stoked about it because now you know you can return your phone from the depths of brickville.

Okay. I guess I'll go ahead and do it. Was just hoping for a bit more from the whole upgrade path.

I'll try to find the files you mention in your steps.

cjriddle22

Reaction score

The "old path" you are referring to was going from Liberty 2.0 to LGB that was based off a GB leak. It was much easier to upgrade to GB before the OTA .596 version came out. When they released the .596 build, they made rooting it almost impossible, which is why you have to use p3's two part rooted GB linked in the OP. I hear there is a direct path from Froyo to LGB but I can not really elaborate on that method as it is hidden from me in the toolbox because I have been on LGB since v0.1. The method spelled out in the OP is one of the best tutorials you will find anywhere on how to go from Froyo to rooted GB or all the way to LGB. As mentioned many times in this thread, learning to SBF is a valuable tool to have in case something goes horribly wrong, plus it gives you a totally fresh and so clean clean install.

barefoot88

Reaction score
Nightly GB

Kasey,

I found this in my Liberty Pro toolbox and it looks to me this will take you from Froyo to GB596 unless i'm mistaken. I could be totally wrong but that's the way i'm reading it. CAP201107081437.jpg

zer0ed77

Reaction score

The "old path" you are referring to was going from Liberty 2.0 to LGB that was based off a GB leak. It was much easier to upgrade to GB before the OTA .596 version came out. When they released the .596 build, they made rooting it almost impossible, which is why you have to use p3's two part rooted GB linked in the OP. I hear there is a direct path from Froyo to LGB but I can not really elaborate on that method as it is hidden from me in the toolbox because I have been on LGB since v0.1. The method spelled out in the OP is one of the best tutorials you will find anywhere on how to go from Froyo to rooted GB or all the way to LGB. As mentioned many times in this thread, learning to SBF is a valuable tool to have in case something goes horribly wrong, plus it gives you a totally fresh and so clean clean install.

Thanks. Believe me, I totally understand.

Sorry to be a bean-bag, guys. I think I have been looking from this at a different angel than most have perceived. More about support and ease of use. Plus, at one point, that was a supported feature. Almost over-night, it was pulled and support for the ROM really seemed to die-down. Trust me, I am more than capable of SBFing. Worked with Linux for many years and I am also a senior desktop support technician for the largest credit union in the world. I am a bit of an Android n00b, but I am huge PAYING supporter. I have leanred a lot and have directed a lot towards it.Sometimes, just because can, doesn't mean you should. Was just expecting a little more in the customer service side, especially for a paid for app. Umm... I mean donated for.

I'll go ahead and do what needs to be done. It is clear I am in the minority. There are many others who feel this way, though. It's funny, because before all this, I saw some same folks swear against SBFing...

barefoot88

Reaction score
zer0ed77,

Well it came straight out the Pro Toolbox 165.72MB, funny i had 0.7 and 0.8 and it was replaced with that. Well maybe someone will tell us it fine to use i not installing anything until it's confirmed by the higher upps. Froyo is working just fine for me right now so no worries here i guess i'll make the jump soon enough though. Man there are some sick themes being put out there so i'm getting the itch to jump soon..

KB

OP
K
Reaction score
zer0ed77,

Well it came straight out the Pro Toolbox 165.72MB, funny i had 0.7 and 0.8 and it was replaced with that. Well maybe someone will tell us it fine to use i not installing anything until it's confirmed by the higher upps. Froyo is working just fine for me right now so no worries here i guess i'll make the jump soon enough though. Man there are some sick themes being put out there so i'm getting the itch to jump soon..

KB

I'm on LGB, so I would imagine that it's not in my toolbox for that reason. Can anyone who's on FroYo and wants to upgrade give this a shot and let us know how it goes? If it doesn't work, you can always follow the instructions above to get your phone to LGB anyway. Anyone willing to be our guinea pig please let us know how it goes. :-D

OP
K
Reaction score

Thanks. Believe me, I totally understand.

Sorry to be a bean-bag, guys. I think I have been looking from this at a different angel than most have perceived. More about support and ease of use. Plus, at one point, that was a supported feature. Almost over-night, it was pulled and support for the ROM really seemed to die-down. Trust me, I am more than capable of SBFing. Worked with Linux for many years and I am also a senior desktop support technician for the largest credit union in the world. I am a bit of an Android n00b, but I am huge PAYING supporter. I have leanred a lot and have directed a lot towards it.Sometimes, just because can, doesn't mean you should. Was just expecting a little more in the customer service side, especially for a paid for app. Umm... I mean donated for.

I'll go ahead and do what needs to be done. It is clear I am in the minority. There are many others who feel this way, though. It's funny, because before all this, I saw some same folks swear against SBFing...

Hey. You're getting the best support around. What major company can you honestly say has ever been there for you like we have? :-D