94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Dave12308 said:
You have to expect people to use alot of data nowadays, though - especially with everything moving to the "cloud".....

A tiered data model totally goes against the entire "cloud" concept that is so prevalent in all aspects of Information Technology.

I never thought of it like that. Well said!!

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
You have to expect people to use alot of data nowadays, though - especially with everything moving to the "cloud".....

A tiered data model totally goes against the entire "cloud" concept that is so prevalent in all aspects of Information Technology.

This...I always thought it was stupid that just when cloud storage started taking off all the phone companies started tiered data...unless that was their entire idea-$$$

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
tjk629 said:
I never sign online petitions, but I sure did with this one! I might be able to get my whole family to sign up as well.

I think we should do a battle of the bands with Verizon. It's the only way to settle this! :angry:

Can i audition for the guitarist position?

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I predict this campaign will be about as successful as the "unlock bootloaders" drive from last summer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
kodiak799 said:
I predict this campaign will be about as successful as the "unlock bootloaders" drive from last summer.

Are you saying our band sucks!!!!!!! Cause I'm awesome on the guitar!!! As I drop the guitar snapping the neck off......

Ummmm, as I said, I'm awesome on the piano!!! Lmao

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

dsprik

Reaction score
•Buy a new phone at full price, no tiered plan for you.
This is the way I would lean toward - with the only caveat being that once you are out of contract, that means that you have just ran out on the playing field of "Subject to Change Without Notice" onto which the competition may have just lured you...

ie: You may pay full price for your phone and still lose your unlimited data "without notice" - just a cautionary note...

Wonder if VZ would let you sign 2 yr "unlimited" contract if you agreed to pay full price for one of their 4g devices?

Last edited:

BumperTrash

Reaction score
What if I had already upgraded my phone to 4g lte and got the unlimited data.. will I lose the unlimited data deal at the end of my contract?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

armeddroid

Reaction score
dsprik said:
This is the way I would lean toward - with the only caveat being that once you are out of contract, that means that you have just ran out on the playing field of "Subject to Change Without Notice" onto which the competition may have just lured you...

ie: You may pay full price for your phone and still lose your unlimited data "without notice" - just a cautionary note...

Wonder if VZ would let you sign 2 yr "unlimited" contract if you agreed to pay full price for one of their 4g devices?

I rather not but wouldn't mind exercising the option buying the phone out right. But how about 5GB as my initial data plan at the $30 I'm already playing. I don't need no shared data with anyone. I need it for me.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
dsprik said:

If you did not know I will fill you in on some information, when you buy a phone outright you do NOT sign a new two year contract, the ONLY time you have to sign a new two year contract is when you buy a subsidized phone from Verizon or any authorised Verizon retailers like Radio Shack, Amazon and the like, once you pay full retail for your smartphone or buy it on eBay or Craigslist, you are not subjected to sign up to a new two year contract. When my two year contract expired I was not forced to sign up for a new two year contract, I bought my Rezound on EBay two months before ny contract expired, I am now on a month to month basis, with option to upgrade to a discounted Verizon phone with a new two year noose around my neck "no thank you Verizon", I am still on unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Droid Forums

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
BumperTrash said:
What if I had already upgraded my phone to 4g lte and got the unlimited data.. will I lose the unlimited data deal at the end of my contract?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NO, as long as you don't change your plan. You can go buy "full retail, or eBay or craigslist"a new 4G smartphone and replace your current 4G smartphone and you will still be on unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Droid Forums

Last edited:

dsprik

Reaction score
I thought Vz's goal was to kill unlimited data for everyone eventually - on or off contracts. If you are on a contract with them they cannot kill it for the duration of that contract. Off contract with a non-subsidized phone they can kill it anytime. Contracts work both ways. I would like to get it to work a little in my favor...

As mentioned earlier, Vz is not stupid. Highly doubtful that as customers drop their contracts and go full price in a bid to keep unlimited data indefinitely that Vz says, "Gee, we didn't think about that..." They are bound and determined to eliminate unlimited as a way of life for all. I'm sure their war room has it all figured out. It's a chess game.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They are bound and determined to eliminate unlimited as a way of life for all. I'm sure their war room has it all figured out. It's a chess game.

But they don't have very many people on unlimited LTE. Q4 earning report, I think it was, they only had 5M LTE subscribers total. I think they will be content to let a few million (if it's that many even) people buy off-contract and stay on unlimited for a good while. Since they aren't providing subsidized phones, that's like a $175 price hike on those customers, anyway.

They've got family share plans which I expect a good number of customers to do the math and see it makes more sense. They'll also get more people doing the same with VoLTE in 2013. I don't expect them to pry unlimited data from your cold, dead hands, but clearly they intend to make it a financially difficult choice for most. And then if they really want to play hardball, they can start booting the really heavy users chewing up 10+ gigs a month.

Just as an example, I missed porting my number to GV...and then VZW eliminated the $5/mo texting plan. So I'm now paying $10 a month already for a text plan I use only sporadically (and, worth mentioning, you don't get texts when your phone is out of juice or out of service). And occasionally I go over my minutes. Now with no subsidized phone I'd be looking at saving $25/mo to give up my unlimited data, which I rarely go over 1gig anyway. And if and when I get a tablet, a 4-5gig share plan will make more sense on multiple levels.

Last edited:

KThomas25

Reaction score
I just clicked on the petition link and it said signatures number just a bit over 5100. What happened to all the others mentioned in the posts here? Is the count restarted daily? Not sure enough the page hasn't been hijacked for nefarious purposes to actually click unless y'all can explain the discrepancy in these numbers.

Sent from here with my phone, y'all.