verizon unlimited data petition (say no to buckets)

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dcmodder, May 31, 2010.

1. dcmodder

dcmodder New Member

wannna have the option of paying for overages on your data usage? if not sign it keep verizon unlimited data plans - Petition Spot

i completely understand that this message seems like spam with my post only at 6 and my join date so recent but this is really important and i just thought our voice on this forum is important to verizion. make your voice heard!
  2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Hmmm... No petition has ever been taken seriously that included so many capitalization errors. Unfortunately, when dealing with big companies like Verizon, nothing written like that will even get past the virtual "front desk" when you go to submit it. Professionalism will get you much more yardage when it comes to someone actually paying attention to your claim. The other side of this coin is that many people, like myself will look at it and realize (because of the aforementioned grammatical errors) that it won't go anywhere and not bother signing it..

I like what you are trying to do here though.. Maybe just proofread it before you take it to big red?
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

gonna have to agree, great idea, but somewhat flawed execution.

I do find it a hassle that we cannot bring our phones out of country without roaming or whatever. I have yet to go through this, but the idea of it is just a headache enough.
  4. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

Signed. Aside from the unprofessional format, I think it's still better then nothing. At least he is doing something about versus complaining about it and doing nothing.
  5. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Yea I signed it, why not? I also posted it on Moto's, and VZDub's fb pages.
  6. vmann32

vmann32 New Member

I too signed it but if it makes them more money you could have a zillion signatures and they could care less.I signed it though cause none means "hey roll over me and rip me off".At least now while they roll us all over you can hear screams.=]
  7. dcmodder

dcmodder New Member

bah fail on my part once it's signed it cannot be edited. closed due to fail. sorry for the wasted time guys.
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Negative churn is what will really convince them.
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The only way to get the point across to VZW is to show them with your wallets. Leave them for another carrier that continues to offer unlimited data. Otherwise you will contribute to the problem.
  10. Skull One

Skull One New Member

AMEN!

Sheep will pay. They always do. Until the sheep stop, Verizon has no reason to listen to the noise.
  11. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

if they do get rid of their unlimited data plans then they will just bite themselves in the ass. Too many companies out there offer unlimitied DP for $99 or much less. You'll be locked in to the unlimited till your contract expires. Then just threaten to change phone companies
  12. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

noone forces anyone to sign a contract..... so to then sign up for that contract under your own free will.... no 'ripoff' found.

Why doesn't someone just make a petition that says "Verizon shouldn't charge me anything because free is better than paying" Same thing

you want a service, you pay for it, if you don't want it, you don't pay it... pretty simple how capitalism works, isn't it.
  13. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

That's why I went from T-Mobile to Verizon. Better 3g and better reception. And yes, I am paying quite a bit more but I'm happier with the service.
  14. gloster

gloster New Member

Unlimited plans cause strange carrier behavior. Examples from the past and present include charging for downloading photos, charging for Skype usage, general bans on VoiceOverIP usage, and locking out 3rd party navigation tools.

Personally, I think the quicker we get to reasonably-priced pay-by-the-byte plans the better off we will be. This doesn't mean I want to pay more. It means, I think we will see more rational pricing once this happens.

My prediction: all carriers will move to a pay-by-the-byte model within five years. My second prediction: most people will pay less per month as a result.
  15. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

Show me something that says Verizon is working towards ditching unlimited plans.
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

In my case, I used:

905 MB in Apr (I got my Droid in Apr)
    571 MB in May

I have used GPS, ROM Manager, Tapatalk, browsed the Web, used Youtube, HR Battle 3D's Head-to-Head option, RadioTime, thats all the things I can think of right now that used data.

I hope whatever the lowest 'bucket of data' is its lower than $29, or have 5GB or more be $29. I would hope the lowest is more than 5GB tho, since I never used over 1GB in a month. Reward us low bandwidth users. lol

But reading your contract should be something ppl do more often... U have the right to cancel your contract with NO ETF if there are plan changes and you dont agree with them or they affect you in some negative way.

Us that are on 1-2 year contracts are PostPay. They key is to act as soon as you get notice of plan changes, start taking the necessary steps. I'm not sure if Verizon lets ppl know about that part of the contract when making plan changes. Its written there, if you dont read it.....
  17. gloster

gloster New Member

From the Financial Times (via engadget):

"Verizon Wireless boss Lowell McAdam mentioned at a Barclays Capital conference this week that he hopes to move away from unlimited plans altogether for the company's LTE network, instead charging for "buckets" of megabytes"

Link: Verizon looking at non-unlimited plans for 4G data, will use LTE for voice by 2012 -- Engadget

Also, AT&T announced their move away from unlimited this morning.

I'm not saying Verizon is moving soon. I'm just saying they will all be forced to move that way by market and cost pressures over the next few years. But, again, this will mean lower monthly bills for most of us.
  18. mikes

mikes New Member

If they move away from unlimited, good. That means those who use average/reasonable amounts of data won't be subsidizing those who want to torrent all the latest blu-rays.
  19. Romple

Romple New Member

20. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

2gigs for $25/month. We're basically paying for unlimited/$30 a month. I barely used 300MB for the first 5 months of owning my phone. Now that I have Pandora and dropbox and other things, I'm hitting 1GB for the first time ever, and I'm not even half way through the month. Alrighty! :p