verizon unlimited data petition (say no to buckets)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my case, I used:

905 MB in Apr (I got my Droid in Apr)
571 MB in May

I have used GPS, ROM Manager, Tapatalk, browsed the Web, used Youtube, HR Battle 3D's Head-to-Head option, RadioTime, thats all the things I can think of right now that used data.

I hope whatever the lowest 'bucket of data' is its lower than $29, or have 5GB or more be $29. I would hope the lowest is more than 5GB tho, since I never used over 1GB in a month. Reward us low bandwidth users. lol

But reading your contract should be something ppl do more often... U have the right to cancel your contract with NO ETF if there are plan changes and you dont agree with them or they affect you in some negative way.

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.
Us that are on 1-2 year contracts are PostPay. They key is to act as soon as you get notice of plan changes, start taking the necessary steps. I'm not sure if Verizon lets ppl know about that part of the contract when making plan changes. Its written there, if you dont read it.....

gloster

Reaction score
Show me something that says Verizon is working towards ditching unlimited plans.

From the Financial Times (via engadget):

"Verizon Wireless boss Lowell McAdam mentioned at a Barclays Capital conference this week that he hopes to move away from unlimited plans altogether for the company's LTE network, instead charging for "buckets" of megabytes"

Link: Verizon looking at non-unlimited plans for 4G data, will use LTE for voice by 2012 -- Engadget

Also, AT&T announced their move away from unlimited this morning.

I'm not saying Verizon is moving soon. I'm just saying they will all be forced to move that way by market and cost pressures over the next few years. But, again, this will mean lower monthly bills for most of us.

mikes

Reaction score
If they move away from unlimited, good. That means those who use average/reasonable amounts of data won't be subsidizing those who want to torrent all the latest blu-rays.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
2gigs for $25/month. We're basically paying for unlimited/$30 a month. I barely used 300MB for the first 5 months of owning my phone. Now that I have Pandora and dropbox and other things, I'm hitting 1GB for the first time ever, and I'm not even half way through the month. Alrighty! :p

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed in that AT&T article: current customers have an option to stay unlimited. I think Verizon will do that too to try to offset ppl canceling contracts with no ETF.

The big question is: those that stay unlimited, is there gonna be some hidden cap or overage charge? I dont get it. Anyone in their right mind whose already a customer will stay unlimited, unless they offer waaay lower priced 'data buckets', with the 'buckets' having a nice size. That's the ONLY way I would switch from unlimited. What AT&T is offering, its not worth it to change if you're already a customer.

That stuff about AT&T tethering is interesting, in an extremely strange and dumb kind of way...lol

Verizon should just do away with the Mobile Broadband plans and just have universal Data Plans if they follow AT&T's lead.

R

Romple

Another thing I noticed in that AT&T article: current customers have an option to stay unlimited. I think Verizon will do that too to try to offset ppl canceling contracts with no ETF.

The big question is: those that stay unlimited, is there gonna be some hidden cap or overage charge? I dont get it. Anyone in their right mind whose already a customer will stay unlimited, unless they offer waaay lower priced 'data buckets' Thats the ONLY way I would switch from unlimited. What AT&T is offering, its not worth it to change if you're already a customer.

That stuff about AT&T tethering is interesting. Verizon should just do away with the Mobile Broadband plans and just have universal Data Plans if they follow AT&T's lead.

Well assuming VZW changed to same plan structures...

It's an option NOW. However as soon as you want to upgrade your phone you need to sign a new contract. At that point the Unlimited plan is no longer offered so you're forced to either 1) never get a new phone at discount or 2) signing a new contract for a discount with a current plan.

You signed a contract for a plan and that plan will not change unless you want it to. However once the contract is up or you need to sign a new one you need to get on a new plan.

And if your contract does expire there's no guarantee they'll keep you on Unlimited.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^This is not good.....I will definitely be asking Verizon CSR's questions when its that time, taking names, extensions, etc. lol

I paid per MB when I had a dumbphone. It was fine then cuz I downloaded a fee games, used the web here n there, thats it. I initially balked at the mandatory unlimited data plan for smartphones. Now, after 2 smartphones, I welcome it. I use so much more data on my Droid than my dumbphones and Omnia 1 put together. My last 2 months proves I needed unlimited, or at least 1-2Gb per month. Just dont charge me more than $29.99 for 1-2GB a month. 1-2GB @29.99 is garbage....

Verizon, PLEASE outdo AT&T's plan. PLEASE.