Fitness Friday: Comfort Foods

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
comfort-foods-539__1331313685_6560.jpg

Want to talk about this concept termed comfort foods. Wikipedia defines comfort foods as traditional foods eaten that provides a nostalgic feeling. These foods are normally high in carbohydrates (and also sugar). The term was first added to Webster's Dictionary in 1977. The problem with this mindset is we are tying too much emotions to food and this has become a dangerous path for humanity. When one tie in happiness to food, money, clothes, or processions they tend to lean on those at a time of sorrow, sadness, or depression.

How many people do you know turn to a certain food when they are depressed (normally foods high in sugar)?

To answer that, probably many and here is why. As we discussed in a previous article, sugar has a cocaine like effect on the human brain so it provides a sensation of happiness. It is why people who are hooked on drugs like cocaine (or crack cocaine) will struggle to overcome that addiction if they do not confront the sadness (or issues) first. I say this to those struggling with weight loss and discipline to look to understand why you eat certain foods. Look within yourself and begin to deal with the areas of your life that cause sadness and/or self-disappointment. This is hard because this means doing the opposite of what society teaches which is to move on. But you can not move on until you first deal with your issues (your issues of low self-esteem and frustrations with missed opportunities). This is not easy and requires a great deal of support (for me I rely on my Christian faith) but this is a step that must happen if you are going to move a step closer to becoming a fit person in mind, body, and spirit because as you will see being truly fit and healthy requires we grow in all those areas.

So I ask why do you eat, and how many times have you found yourself eating as a result of sadness, boredom, or to fit in at a social gathering?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I understand that some people eat certain foods for tradition; ie turkey on Thanksgiving, cookies on Christmas, BBQ for 4th July.

For those who enjoy foods for tradition I challenge you to look to find a healthy and better option or try and add more healthy greens so you are at a point where those traditional foods become more of a snack size vs a full plate.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah I used to associate a root beer float with family gatherings on hot summer days and or nights .. Fried chicken and real mashed potatoes with Sunday dinner... A big Mac and fries for a treat once in a while.. We do associate food and flavors and smells with our memories...

The trick for me was that I had to learn to eat for function.. Don't get me wrong.. I do have my cheats, and If you're not eating to be a competitive body builder.. Then you can still enjoy a tasty treat once in a while.. But making small healthy modifications will add up in the long run..

Something I'm getting addicted to is snap peas brown rice broccoli and steak..with dragon salt.. Its spicy salt and pepper..

Great article :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good point @94lt1 . As we continuing to say, this is a daily process. We will have days we kicked butt and took names and we will have days we took it in the chin. My goal with these articles is that we all, especially the author (me), learn so that we learn the small intricacies that keeps us from overcoming. And also to be able to have the strength to keep one bad decision from turning into a chain of bad decisions. It is not the cheeseburger or the piece of cake that causes weight gain it is what follows. If one had a slice of pie and then went back to a disciplined lifestyle they would be fine. The issue is when the comfort food we grew up with is used to comfort our pain, added to the ongoing depression, added to lack of physical activity, added to weight gain, added to poor self esteem because of the weight, turns into a cycle that makes it difficult to overcome. The blanket answer from society is just to exercise but rarely do they deal with the issues that led to the cycle in the first place. But if daily we deal with the little we will overcome a lot.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have a question.. In my heavy days, I used to love breakfast sausage with syrup on it.. I guess my arteries were craving a one two punch?? Anybody else have a go to favorite, that was really bad for you?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a question.. In my heavy days, I used to love breakfast sausage with syrup on it.. I guess my arteries were craving a one two punch?? Anybody else have a go to favorite, that was really bad for you?
Banana pudding, sweet potato pie, pizza.

What I try and do is either get rid of it or find an alternative (as you suggested long ago in the fm thread). So how about instead of buying sausage made with dextrose (sugars) and fat. Either switch to turkey sausage or buy lean pork yourself and season it (essentially making your own sausage) and sweeten it with a touch of honey.

If I'm really craving pizza I either make my own or I'll make a pasta dish with natural pasta sauce (publix have them they like $4 a bottle but no sugar or alternative sugar just tomatoes, sea salt, and olive oil) with tomatoes, peppers, bison meat, a few slices of naturally cures pepperoni cut up, etc (basically my favorite pizza toppings). And I'll put that with grilled chicken and a few sprinkles of mozzarella.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I forgot banana pudding.. Lol.. I've done the same thing.. I try to find healthier alternatives now.. :) banana creme zero carb whey powder has helped with that one..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Mine is thick cut "candied bacon". It's a "once in awhile" treat that I'm making today to go with our French toast. SO good!
There's no way to make it healthy so I don't even try. Same goes for my sweet potato casserole.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine is thick cut "candied bacon". It's a "once in awhile" treat that I'm making today to go with our French toast. SO good!
There's no way to make it healthy so I don't even try. Same goes for my sweet potato casserole.

True, there are some times where you just take it on the chin. But like I said above, one cheat meal will not kill you it is when one cheat meal turns into a cheat rep, a cheat snack, and so on. That is why for myself I have to have the discipline that every time I "crave" something whether by smell or seeing the item via ad I try and make my first step to ignore and if i really can not ignore go to the alternative. Because I know for myself if I cave every time I'll end up going backward. So I have to distinguish between crave and a once and a lifetime treat. Basically we all are different and we all are at different levels in our goal. Those that have further to go have to cut out more of the junk as that is what got us this far back in the first place.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All things in moderation. Nothing wrong with comfort food as long as it doesn't become a habit or an addiction.
Are you saying that people shouldn't get to comfortable with being comfortable?? :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I really can't speak to this at all. People hate me for being skinny, but it's not me or the choices I make. It's my metabolism and it can be a real pain.

I have to eat every few hours, or I get hangry (so hungry I'm angry) and that's not always possible.

Because of the metabolism that I've been given, I'm also going to be in BIG trouble when it finally gives out. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I like to break up oreos and put them in a big old bowl of Vanilla ice cream. We buy a Gallon of Ice Cream and I do this every night until it's gone. I also love butter and lots of salt.

And because we both work and have the little guy to worry about, we have pizza at least once or twice a week.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
*throws a snickers to @johnny Kansas.. :)
IDK who you just tagged brother, but it wasn't me. Haha!

Seriously though, I'd take some extra pounds in a heartbeat if it meant not feeling the way I do on a busy day when I don't stop to make sure I eat something.

And I've been getting a gut for years now. I wouldn't even mind being "fat," but this watermelon sticking out of my mid section on top of my chicken legs and below my skinny chest/shoulders is not flattering.

Thank God for my girl. Haha...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Roflol.. Hey.. It could be worse.. Could look like stay puffed... Been there...