Fitness Friday: Depression

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
zf3bv4qn-1330299206.jpg

When we think about being fit we typically talk about the body as far as cardio and weights, but part of being fit includes mind, body, and soul. And an area that is an issue for a lot of people is depression, which is the feeling of sadness, feeling blue, miserable, and/or unhappiness. There are many things that can bring about depression from a life altering event, how one feel about themselves and how they think others feel about them, or a chemical imbalance in the body. There was a time where people ignored depression but this is something that you need to take serious because depression if not checked can lead to a downward spiral that could also lead into doing something that could harm others or yourself.

If you are feeling depression we recommend seeking help especially if it becomes an ongoing ordeal.

Ways to handle depression:
  1. Change your diet: This may sound ridiculous but processed foods that are high in sugars and artificial chemicals actually changes the way your body feels. Since changing my diet to more natural foods I have noticed a great change in how my body and mind feel.
  2. Seek out spiritual and/or professional help: Whether it be a clergy member, psychiatrist, a small group, a temple, or just being around people you can trust, having someone that you can talk things out will help you sort through some of your issues as well as direct you in ways to help you overcome depression.
  3. Working out: Whether it be walking, running, weightlifting, or hitting the bags, some times the best way to handle depression is through controlled physical means.

These are only some of the ways in which to handle depression but if you or someone you know is dealing with depression please do not ignore it. In being fit we want to do so in all phases of life. And just like with training the body, training the mind and the spirit/soul is a daily process and through training we have the opportunity to learn more about ourselves.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Great write up @pc747

Something worth mentioning about depression and it's very important. Depression can be a sign of a hormone imbalance in both men and women. This is a little secret that most doctors won't tell you. I will tell you of a first hand account of someone suffering from SEVERE depression and what fixed it...FOR GOOD, with no anti-depression drugs.

A friend of mine suffered from severe depression for years. She would literally come home from work and hole up in her home. Her days when not working were spent home in bed. She did nothing. Trying to get a hold of her was futile. She never picked up her phone and the rare times she did it was while she was at work. I didn't know she was going through anything I just figured she was busy, no big deal. When we did speak we spoke a lot about fitness, diet, exercise etc because she was into it. Little did I know she wasn't even exercising. At any rate we were on the topic of hormones and the female body and I mentioned that when the hormones are out of wack, everything is out of wack (moods, energy, sex drive etc etc) Well that topic opened her up and she told me everything. Long story short I told her to find a good naturopathic doctor in Houston where she lives and "just give it a shot" because it couldn't hurt.

She found a good naturopathic doctor, made an appointment and went in. Doc pretty much told her the same thing and ordered a saliva test for her (supposedly they are the most accurate and reliable since blood work can change hourly) Takes kit home, uses it, sends it back to lab, gets results, doctor calls her in. Turns out her testosterone levels are non-existent, and her estrogen and progesterone levels are no where near normal ranges. She's not even on the low end on any of these levels.

He puts her on hormone program (no anti-depression drugs) and wouldn't you know her depression went away. To this day (6 years later) she is totally fine and feels phenomenal. She's even back to working out. She lives a totally normal life now. Goes out to social events with friends, travels, found a husband and is once again herself.

I'd recommend to anyone suffering from depression to find a naturopathic doctor and get those hormone levels checked. Nobody wants to be on drugs their whole life and hormones play a very important part in our well being. I'm not saying that every case of depression is related to hormones, but its worth exploring FIRST to rule it out.

Asgard

Reaction score
And to think I was here for android news.

It hits close to home, because my girlfriend suffers from depression, she even was bulimic for some time, but we kinda managed to get past that.

But still her image always affects her, and then she goes in a vicious cycle of self hate and more depression.

The worse part is that I can't help her, since as she puts it: "I don't know how she feels or what she sees when she looks at herself, so I will never understand"

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can say that having been there.. It sucks.. Getting active and winning some seemingly insignificant battles, helped me climb out of the darkness.. To start irritating people all over again.. Baaahahahahahaha.

But depression is no laughing matter. It feels like the weight of the world is on you and you're all alone. Even in a crowded room. The sad part is that most depressed people will hide it because of the stigma that surrounds depression and mental illness in general.. But also because when they try to turn outward, they hear things like, I thought you were stronger than that(i promise you that they thought they were too) and, you've gotta just get up and beat this, why don't you try being happy?, you're such a drag, what's wrong with you? You're so different....

Hearing things like that makes it all that much worse.. I know. To any that are feeling depressed, especially if it's an ongoing thing.. We all feel gloomy once in a while.. Trust me when I say that depression is much worse.. It can actually physically hurt.. No joke. And if you're feeling this.. Get help wherever you can. You're not alone. Some beat it in their own.. Some turn to drugs and alcohol to self medicate, to try to feel..well...anything..

Don't give up.. People care.. You might not see it.. But they do.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And to think I was here for android news.

It hits close to home, because my girlfriend suffers from depression, she even was bulimic for some time, but we kinda managed to get past that.

But still her image always affects her, and then she goes in a vicious cycle of self hate and more depression.

The worse part is that I can't help her, since as she puts it: "I don't know how she feels or what she sees when she looks at herself, so I will never understand"
Body image issues are more common than you think.. You are your own worst critic, as the old saying goes.. That said.. In this world of super models and cover girls and a distorted sense of what beauty is... It's hard and when you add in depression, possibly anxiety.. You get matches soaked in gasoline..

Its hard to say how to help her.. In fact in many relationships where one person is afflicted with depression or other mental illnesses.. They often bounce in and out of relationships because they can't love themselves or even be happy in a relationship for many different reasons.. If you care for her... Be supportive and know that she may deliver some pretty devastating blows to your relationship...

It's a very tough situation.. You may need to try to get her to get Counseling.. Just remember.. You have to love yourself too.. Sounds odd coming from a guy, I know.. But believe me when I tell you that I'm speaking from experience. Good luck..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great post PC and a most excellent comment CK!
I have lived with family members and loved ones with severe depression and you simply can't "will it away". While there are many varying degrees of depression, all too often it's misdiagnosed. Our media and the drug companies over the years have thrown the term around so loosely, they've made the general public think that anyone with a symptom or two is "depressed" and that simply isn't the case. Certain forms of depression (as you mentioned) have to do with a chemical imbalance, and nothing but the proper medication and intense therapy is going to help, as I witness with my loved ones. Anti depressants simply mask the underlying problem, and it wasn't until hormone replacement therapy (along with a mental health professional) was introduced, did those loved ones begin to see real results.
Best of luck to those dealing with this type of depression as it not only effects them, but everyone around them.

S5 tap'n

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
we all ***** n moan about phones and who makes a better device..but we all come together when it comes to this topic. i like this. ^_^. you guys are allright, ill stick around for a little while longer:).

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've been dealing with my own depression issues for the past couple of months. Everything from my family uninviting me from Thanksgiving, I had back surgery (successful surgery thankfully) but gave me 3 months off work to reflect on stuff, going back to work has been a nightmare, wife was laid off and now financially we are ok for a couple months but after that...not so much. My best friend has done an about face and absolutely despises me (no idea why). I'm a thinker, I work things out but I have to admit lately, that hasn't worked too well.

I feel like I have it light compared to many. Like PC suggested, seek help or help someone you think needs it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well one thing that can definitely help deal with depression is having friends who tell you that you matter.

So I'll go on record saying that YOU matter! You're a great member and a great contributor. This place wouldn't be the same without you. Over 4 years, over 2500 posts and over 10% approval. Those are some things to be proud of.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. Financial issues can be a huge issue.. As can family. What was your back surgery for? Be careful and make sure you do what you can to help ensure a full recovery.. Back problems are no joke.. They ruined my mom's life..

I too am usually a thinker.. And i thought myself into a deeper hole..

We definitely appreciate your presence here. And i agree.. You do matter.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with my own depression issues for the past couple of months. Everything from my family uninviting me from Thanksgiving, I had back surgery (successful surgery thankfully) but gave me 3 months off work to reflect on stuff, going back to work has been a nightmare, wife was laid off and now financially we are ok for a couple months but after that...not so much. My best friend has done an about face and absolutely despises me (no idea why). I'm a thinker, I work things out but I have to admit lately, that hasn't worked too well.

I feel like I have it light compared to many. Like PC suggested, seek help or help someone you think needs it.
Buddy of mine had back surgery years back and same thing, lots of reflecting brought him way down. He went back to work and thought he was kickin butt and taking names until his boss called him into the office berating his lack of performance.
Long story short the anesthesia and pain meds had thrown his brain chemicals out of whack , causing depression. His cure was melatonin, proper diet, walking around the block+ and more time in the sunshine each day.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Buddy of mine had back surgery years back and same thing, lots of reflecting brought him way down. He went back to work and thought he was kickin butt and taking names until his boss called him into the office berating his lack of performance.

That was my 3rd day back to work. Got a call to go to my bosses office. Was told how bad I was doing...when I wasn't at work for 3 months. I was on pain killers, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories for several years. I felt no addiction to them when didn't refill them after my surgery but I have no doubt they played with my chemistry. My wife tells me to go on antidepressants. I had them once before and hated them. I'm not in denial that I have problems right now, I just find ways to deal with them. After my wife finds a new job and income isn't an issue, a gym will be my first visit. I decided on that before my surgery, recovery came first though. Now it has to be income.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was my 3rd day back to work. Got a call to go to my bosses office. Was told how bad I was doing...when I wasn't at work for 3 months. I was on pain killers, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories for several years. I felt no addiction to them when didn't refill them after my surgery but I have no doubt they played with my chemistry. My wife tells me to go on antidepressants. I had them once before and hated them. I'm not in denial that I have problems right now, I just find ways to deal with them. After my wife finds a new job and income isn't an issue, a gym will be my first visit. I decided on that before my surgery, recovery came first though. Now it has to be income.
Have you tried calisthenics? They won't cost a penny, fitting nicely into your current budgetary abilities.
This might help get you started
Avoid the Gym by Using Calisthenics Military.com

The Five Best Calisthenic Exercises

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Great thread and great advice. I hope anyone reading this thread currently isn't going through depression themselves, but it's great advice to keep in mind whenever you're feeling down really.

ROBOFLOX

Reaction score
I had a massive motorcycle crash in 2008, multiple injuries.
5 months of large doses of painkillers masked a head injury, after coming off the painkillers woke up one day unable to read, slurred speach, sensitivity to light, vertigo, confused thinking, went to doctor who diagnosed TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)
After six hours of phsych tests, confirmation of 'slow data processing'.
Thats the background, (stay with me here guys Im getting to the good stuff)
Ended up with depression, and anxiety and was on antidepressants for nearly 3 yrs.
I still have some psych issues BUT.. No meds, I have discovered the following combination of supplements work for me, Really Work, not imaginary placebo bxx sxxx!
St. JOHNS WORT
MAGNESIUM
EX STRESS B COMPLEX
CREATINE MONOHYDRATE

1.St johns wort is the no. 1 prescription antidepressant in Sweden.
2.Magnesium (the basic form Not the bonded or chelated forms, reason for this I can enlarge on if anyone is interested)
This is amazing mind body and soul relaxer, smoooths you out, everyone should be on it!)
3.B complex goes hand in hand with the above mentioned.
4.Creatine Monohydrate is an amino acid complex substance that boosts athletic performance and endurance (went back on this recently and felt a dramatic improvement in my mental health, which was already pretty good, so much so that I googled it as a mood stabiliser and made a discovery of Epic proportions!!)
Can forward the link of a scientific paper if anyone wants it.
I welcome any contact from anyone who wants the the quatities to try, as all the above are safe with no side effects or overdose dangers.
I have discussed all the above with my doctor, who said if I can keep it under control without the use of meds then good and carry on!

Hows that guys?