Fitness Friday: Sweeteners

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
0007077325200_500X500.jpg

fed-up-sugar-cocaine-brain-scan-620.jpg

The average American diet consumes over 25% of their diet from added sugar, which is more than 15 % more than recommended. Everything from table sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, honey, and artificial sugar, we have wrapped our entire diet around sugar and it is hard to shake. What harms Americans more are the hidden sugars. You know when you consume candy, soda, or cake that you are consuming sugar, but many are not aware of the hidden sugars found is processed food, salad dressing, and meat products in the form of dextrose. For those who are not aware stored sugar is turned into fat and can lead to diabetes. The goal this week is to become aware of hidden sugars and try and eliminate as much of that from your diet as possible. Here are so tips to help with that:

• Read the packaging for meat at your local store. If you see dextrose or sugar grab meat without it.
  • Find Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce without sugar or added sugar.
  • Limit the amount of processed food you consume
  • Substitute sugared drinks (soda, sports drinks, fruit juice) with water or unsweet tea.
  • consume more of your sugars in the form of fruit.
If you can eliminate the hidden sugars from your diet the occasional cookie or slice of pie will not be as hazardous to your diet.

I challenge you to eliminate as much hidden sugar from your diet as possible and I will do the same. Next Friday I will post my progress.

Sources:
10 Artificial Sweeteners and Sugar Substitutes - Health.com
Proposed sugar guidelines Less than a soda a day - CNN.com
Eating too much added sugar may be killing you

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Woahh so if Cocaine only does to your brain what sugar does, I guess I'm gonna start blowing lines! Thanks, OP! ;P

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Good write up PC. I've tried to become sugar free.. I use coconut sugar if I use sugar, and raw honey. Now I notice that if I eat a piece of something like candy.. I get really jittery..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good write up PC. I've tried to become sugar free.. I use coconut sugar if I use sugar, and raw honey. Now I notice that if I eat a piece of something like candy.. I get really jittery..
We are not going to get rid of all the sugar out of our lives. The goal here for now is to make sure you intend to consume the sugar. When you grab a piece of candy or a cookie you are intending to grab a piece of sugar. The issue is the sugar you are consuming that you do not know about. So if we can begin to start flushing out the unwanted/unknown sugars the known sugars will not be as bad.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tip:
Love the sweet tea?
Tea in itself is good for you as it is loaded with antioxidants. Next time you out and about try half sweet half unsweetened tea.

Tip 2:
You only have 30 mins to grab a bite, the fruit in your bag is not going to be enough to get you through lunch, skip the dessert. Grab the sandwich and use the fruit in your bag for the dessert.

Remember the goal here is not to rapid change but to do the little things. Little changes over time equates to big change.