First Custom rom for DroidX

velocity92c

Reaction score
Bomber, stop being ignorant. He linked to a damn news article showing Sapphire as being the first ROM on the X. What the hell is wrong with you?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I think you may be mistaken; the Sapphire team doesn't have a DX yet, there is a concept video I have seen - but as far as a full running ROM on the DX ... I don't believe that has happened yet.

Quote from Sapphire Team:
"So we are once again asking, help us get a Droid X so that we can produce a rom for the Droid X, and hopefully we will be the first!"

velocity92c

Reaction score
Oh. My. God. What the HELL is wrong with you people? Click the freaking 3rd link in his post and read the damn article. cvpcs himself commented on the article saying it was a legit ROM. Jesus Christ.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I did read it, just seems to me that the two site contradict each other, that's all ... I guess they didn't have a chance to update their site in between their work on the X :tongue:

*EDIT* My apologies to the OP - further digging turned this up: "please help us get our own device instead of relying on testers so that we can actually get this rom out to everyone faster!". So while the Sapphire team may not have their OWN X, it does not mean they are not without resources :biggrin:
Again, I apologies to velocity92c ... just surprised this has been bigger news!!

Last edited:

velocity92c

Reaction score
Hopefully this clears up any additional confusion for the rest of the thread. This is a comment cvpcs left in the news article, (in case you didn't know, cvpcs is the developer of Sapphire)

1.) it is a custom rom. it was built from AOSP source and no it wasn't easy. if you want to see the code modifications and device setup just check my github: cvpcs's Profile - GitHub

2.) yes the bootloader is still locked and hence there is no custom kernel, but that does not hinder it being a custom ROM. the kernel is only a small portion of the custom software suite that is often included with ROMs, but just because there is no custom kernel does not hinder one from compiling all of the other features and software for the phone

3.) the proprietary files are taken from the SBF of moto's froyo 2.3.9 build. however there are only a small number of files that are included directly from that while the rest are built from source. if you want a list go to my github under the device setup for motorola shadow.

In short, yes this is built from AOSP source, and it should be considered a custom rom without a custom kernel.

Spam
Thumbs Down
Thumbs Up

By cvpcs on Sun, 08/29/2010 - 13:56

velocity92c

Reaction score
Also, sorry if I came off kind of harsh, I just wish people wouldn't be so fast to discredit things sometimes.. that and it's 8 in the morning and I haven't had any sleep.

I'm amazed at what the droid community has accomplished on the X so far. I won't be using any ROMs without a custom kernel, but if they're able to get past that bootloader I will definitely shell out the extra cash for a D2 (DX is sexy, but I need that hardware keyboard).

velocity92c

Reaction score
Also, when I say I wouldn't use a ROM without a custom kernel, I'm being extremely picky. what cvpcs and koush/birdman have done so far on the X is nothing short of amazing, in a little over a month's time, and the kernel isn't as important as I made it sound. cvpcs, as a developer, can explain it better than me;

it interests me that you are saying all of the custom code changes in framework and whatnot do not merit any feeling of customization simply due to the lack of a "custom kernel" as you say. Well I have a few points to make.

1) yes the kernel is important and without it the system software would not run, but do not act like the kernel is all you need. A custom kernel with no software for it to run is just as useless as custom software with no kernel to run it. They are both equally important if you want to have any semblence of a useful device. To use your analogy, a car engine sitting on a slab of concrete without the rest of the car is of little use.

2) if you're basing "custom" status on a kernel alone, then you're only considering a tiny subset of features actually important. These are minor things like cpufreq, tun/tap, extra filesystem support, etc. If people only ever modified their kernel you wouldn't see a whole lot of difference between stock and what you consider "custom"

3) all of the software on the system is built from AOSP (minus a handful of proprietaries) so that things like blur are absent. Why this doesn't merit being called a custom rom is beyond me. A heavily modified system is what the users see and where features are implemented. Very little kernel modification is ever done even if it is possible (see point 2).

Yes this is building off of all of the work that was done on milestone, and yes it does use the same principles, however I don't see how that's a reason to belittle the work being done. I never tried to claim that this is amazing or great, I simply had a video posted so people could see my progress. I don't see how that warrents such a backlash over kernel vs system

Spam
Thumbs Down
Thumbs Up

By cvpcs on Sun, 08/29/2010 - 21:22

btdownloads7

Reaction score
Oh. My. God. What the HELL is wrong with you people? Click the freaking 3rd link in his post and read the damn article. cvpcs himself commented on the article saying it was a legit ROM. Jesus Christ.

And I still don't see the ROM for the DX. Everything on that page is for the original Droid, and the only thing for the DX is the Theme. The 3rd link in the OP shows the Obscidian ROM preview, and as per cvps, it's just a proof of concept and in the "very alpha" stage. So where are you seeing a ROM for the DX?