Finally rooted!

meekless

Reaction score
i just wanted to thank everyone in this forum for giving such great info, hacks, themes, etc...
this has to be the best forum with some of the most intelligent and helpful people on the net!!
with a little push from Blake2050, and discussions on the Sholesmod App in the market I rooted my Droid today and installed and messed around with several ROMS and themes using Metamorph.
If you are hesitant in rooting your Droid.... if I can do it anyone can!
like Blake said to me , just make sure to make a backup before you change anything.
simple to do and only takes a few mins. I already had to use a Nandroid backup when I was trying to install a theme using Droidroothelper (got stuck in a looping boot even with a battery pull). took all of 5 mins and was back to normal!

granted I'm not trying to do anything expert level like a lot of these guys and gals on the forum, but def try out the root!
I picked a couple of different things from a couple of metamorph themes, and again a thank you to Blake for his Framework-res-apk.
here are some screen shots!

zz500

Reaction score
Congrats and thanks! You've instilled the confidence that I've been lacking since I'm taking the plunge tomorrow. Cheers.

OP
meekless

meekless

Reaction score
i know what you mean! i lacked it as well until Blake gave some good info and the Sholes Team with their app. couldnt have been easier to root, and create a recovery!

and thank you!
but all the credit goes to this forum and the great people in it!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice screen shots

superglen99

Reaction score
so question about the sholes app in the market. Does it in fact root for you? I mean you download and install and it does all the coding and what not? how hard is it to install all these roms? are they apps or do you have to type in codes? Also with the setcpu app does that mean you can run at whatever speed you want up to 1.1Ghz? thanks in advance!

Enter

Reaction score
so question about the sholes app in the market. Does it in fact root for you? I mean you download and install and it does all the coding and what not? how hard is it to install all these roms? are they apps or do you have to type in codes? Also with the setcpu app does that mean you can run at whatever speed you want up to 1.1Ghz? thanks in advance!

Yes it will root for you. Once you flash it is very easy to install new roms, I just download the update.zip, put it on the sd, boot into recovery and install and that's it. Others use the nandriod but that is for a clean install (wipes all data). You have to use a rom to utilize SetCpu like that, without a rom, SetCpu will only go to 550 mhz. Custom roms will tell you how high you can go. I downloaded the BB 7.5 today and had one problem with 1 ghz where my phone constantly vibrated when receiving a call and the phone app became unresponsive so I could not accept the call. I am at 950 right now and the problem is less frequent but still exists, 800 is where the moneys at.

OP
meekless

meekless

Reaction score
to answer your question yes the app does everything for you!
once you download it from the market, simply run the app
-it roots the phone and gives you Superuser access
-it creates a backup for you to your SD card for before the root so you can go back
to complete stock
-it gives you two options for adding a ROM right from the app. but for some reason one of them wouldnt load. the only one I could get to work was the newest Bit---- Bagel
-from there I added a couple of pay apps from the market to help give access to files including the data/local file folder...also grabbed SETCPU app which was also easy to set for the profiles
-I decided to download and install the Bugless Beast ROM. For some reason the 2.1 style launcher on Sholesmod was a little laggy and buggy even with O/C, however I did like the option of leaving off certain apps from being installed with Sholesmod!! (great feature!)
-I agree with one of the other posts, for some reason my phone seems to be quicker and just overall better performance when I click down the O/C to 800 instead of 950, so I'm gonna leave it at 800 for now.
-After installing Bugless Beast, I then grabbed Metamorph and added three themes I found in this forum (again great work to those people that create these themes) and i just added the theme to the certain section of the interface I wanted it, so as you can see the drawer is from one theme, the notification pull down is from another, and the framework-res was from Blake's fine work.
-it was actually very easy to do overall, just take your time, follow the directions and there are several guides in this forum as well
-just remember to grab a recovery backup with nandroid again after the Sholesmod is done, so you have a recovery image before and after root. I also found it to be handy to grab another recovery flash after you do something big such as add a new ROM or add another theme so if it works, and you then try something else and the something else gives you a hard time, you have several options to recover back to. Nandroid is great cause it makes a folder on the SD card with the date and time in the file name it creates for the backup, so it doesnt overwrite the old flash image

the apps I added during and after the root
-Sholesmod
-Androzip
-CPU Benchmark (just to see how the CPU is running)
-Droidrootpro
-drocap2
-Metamorph
-Root Explorer
-SetCPU
-Tempmonitor

so in all it might be about 10$ in apps, Sholesmod is 5$ but worth it for the ease!

QUESTION!!!
does anyone know if you can uninstall some of the apps that came with Bugless Beast ROM such as the Corp Calender, IM, News and Weather....
thanks for any info!

grrouchie

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this, but what are the advantages other than being able to overclock?

I'm just not sure if rooting is for me, if it's something that will make the phone more useful to me or not.

any advice welcome

OP
meekless

meekless

Reaction score
(Thinking about doing this, but what are the advantages other than being able to overclock?

I'm just not sure if rooting is for me, if it's something that will make the phone more useful to me or not.

any advice welcome)

I thought the same thing about rooting my phone, especially considering it would void the warranty. But with the Sholesmod app i figured i would at least give it a try and see if i like it, and if not i can flash back to stock like the root never happened.
Well, that aint gonna happen lol
I like the fact i can change so much about the appearance of the desktop. as you can see, there wasnt one theme i really liked so i cut and pasted several different parts of three themes and a cust framework-res pack Blake made to change things the way i like them. I do also love the overclock as well, makes it run butter smooth.
I'm not trying to talk anyone into rooting cause it is just up to the owner what they want to do, but what I;m saying is if you are on the fence and worried about the difficulty, its pretty easy actually!

mjs31

Reaction score
First off...rooting does have its risk even with using the sholes app. That being said, the risk is minimal.

For me, rooting allows me to get items from other phones that you could not normally put on the Droid. It also allows for some minor tweaks to stock camera and video camera and just the little extras that the different roms offer (see their notes). This being said, I love the OC. I run at 800mhz and definately notice a speed difference.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing this, but what are the advantages other than being able to overclock?

any advice welcome[/QUOTE
I'm at the same place. I'm not sure rooting is for me.

Perhaps I'm wrong but it appears to me that the biggest advantage of rooting is that it allows one to change the screen (skins?), icons, and increase the speed of the cpu. What other things does rooting provide and why would I need them.

I agree that the comments in the forum are TOPS and I'm grateful to everyone who takes their time to write and share. I've PM several in the community asking why they rooted. I would value opinions and comments from all.

I use my Droid for: Phone, email, calendar, txt, navigation, some apps (weather, where, places directory, US 66, notes, to-do) photos, and music.

Thanks in advance for all who respond.

Mike