Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

huskur

Reaction score
The problem is that the overwhelming majority of people that think they can both talk on a phone and drive just as well, are sadly wrong. If their driving isn't worse with the phone, then most likely their driving skills are so poor to begin with that adding a phone to the mix doesn't drag down the score much.

I said it before and I will say it again... Go ride and commute on a motorcycle for a few months and get back to me on how great the average driver is. The truth is that most of them are oblivious to their surroundings, and most other drivers don't notice most of the stuff that goes on because they too are insulated behind glass, steel and airbags, with wonderful distractions like food, soda, radios, DVD players, gadgets, phones, GPS, the kids in the back seat, etc...

In our effort to take cars from a simple means of transportation to this serene, safe mobile entertainment systems, we have in fact made the act of being on the road LESS safe over the years. As we add more technology like "self-parking" cars, and cars that scan the road and brake when there is an obstacle and all that, we remove the driver from the act of driving, and the consequences, even more.

And look at our driving tests. A monkey could pass them, they truly are pitiful. Our driver education and test procedures in no way certify you as qualified to drive a car.

So while most people THINK they are good drivers, very few of them are. Go ride a motorcycle and you will have none of those protections, none of those distractions. You will see that each day is a video game where you "win" if you can make it to your destination alive past all the absolute blathering morons on the road and all the asinine things they do, usually while on the damned phone, all the while patting themselves on the back for what a great driver they think they are.

It's an eye-opener, and I am willing to bet that anyone here who rides and is reading this post, will agree with me 100%.

I would only like to add a few comments....I simply do admire your comments here. Really. I am not being a smart a$$.

If I am on the road and get a call the first thing I do is consider if I can do it safely due to traffic/weather ect. If I can I will take it. On the other hand just last week heading to the in-laws in VA I had to take the D.C. beltway. Of course, the phone rings. I have a wife that can take the call or let it go to voicemail. I will not endanger my wife or kids for a phone call. I will only answer if it is safe to do so. Now, your definition may differ than mine. I am sure it does but I am the one that makes it and no one else makes it for me.

Now as far as the motorcycle comments.....I had a bike for 16 years until my son was born. All cricket bikes/crotch rockets/rice burners....whatever you want to call them. I have taken the safety course and also took it a second time with my wife when she got her motorcycle license. I was also an instructor for 4 years teaching. I am in agreement with the "you see more on a bike" statement on how people really drive. You are taught to look for that. Being on a bike you are in a vulnerable position. That is why I gave it up when my first child was born. I need to be around while they grow. I just had a brother in-law die in a crash hitting the guard rail at high speeds on his bike. It was his stupidity but if he was in a car he would likely be alive today to see his 2 kids that are ages 17 and 12 graduate.

This thread could be argued to death......there is no winner. There wont be. We have to agree to disagree sometimes and on this thread that is continuous from one post to another.

Basically, I would never put myself, my family or others in danger.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would only like to add a few comments....I simply do admire your comments here. Really. I am not being a smart a$$.

If I am on the road and get a call the first thing I do is consider if I can do it safely due to traffic/weather ect. If I can I will take it. On the other hand just last week heading to the in-laws in VA I had to take the D.C. beltway. Of course, the phone rings. I have a wife that can take the call or let it go to voicemail. I will not endanger my wife or kids for a phone call. I will only answer if it is safe to do so. Now, your definition may differ than mine. I am sure it does but I am the one that makes it and no one else makes it for me.

Now as far as the motorcycle comments.....I had a bike for 16 years until my son was born. All cricket bikes/crotch rockets/rice burners....whatever you want to call them. I have taken the safety course and also took it a second time with my wife when she got her motorcycle license. I was also an instructor for 4 years teaching. I am in agreement with the "you see more on a bike" statement on how people really drive. You are taught to look for that. Being on a bike you are in a vulnerable position. That is why I gave it up when my first child was born. I need to be around while they grow. I just had a brother in-law die in a crash hitting the guard rail at high speeds on his bike. It was his stupidity but if he was in a car he would likely be alive today to see his 2 kids that are ages 17 and 12 graduate.

This thread could be argued to death......there is no winner. There wont be. We have to agree to disagree sometimes and on this thread that is continuous from one post to another.

Basically, I would never put myself, my family or others in danger.

And I don't disagree with you. But you are the exception. Most people just don't give a crap. Their call or text is more important than anything else going on, or the life of your family. We live in a world that is all about ME ME ME! and as a result, people are dying. At some point, "Big brother" will have to step in, and if it means passing a law that also includes the few exceptions like yourself, then you will be the collateral damage I am afraid.

I cannot even begin to count how many times I sit there screaming into my helmet at some idiot that cut me or some car off, or weaved into my lane, or across the double yellow, or nearly smashed into someone, and they are there clicking on their phone, usually not even aware that they almost killed someone. I have had to dodge and swerve around people, and even pulling alongside and trying to get their attention, they don't even know that I am there as I can see them updating or reading Facebook. It blows my mind every time I see it, and I see it, no joke, every single day.

As you said, on a bike you are vulnerable, so you have nothing else to do BUT watch everyone else like a hawk, and when you do that for a period of time, your perception of driving and how people drive takes a radical shift... There is how most people assume that they and others drive, and then you begin to understand how people actually drive, and it is staggering, the difference. But you cannot really get people to understand because they are still on the other side of the fence and have not had to look at themselves in action...

I think that if everyone ride a motorcycle for a year in traffic, they would be better drivers on average. It really does act as a wakeup call. I have been riding since 1996, and my girlfriend just stated less than 2 years ago and the transformation in her, which she admits, is profound...

huskur

Reaction score
And I don't disagree with you. But you are the exception. Most people just don't give a crap. Their call or text is more important than anything else going on, or the life of your family. We live in a world that is all about ME ME ME! and as a result, people are dying. At some point, "Big brother" will have to step in, and if it means passing a law that also includes the few exceptions like yourself, then you will be the collateral damage I am afraid.

I cannot even begin to count how many times I sit there screaming into my helmet at some idiot that cut me or some car off, or weaved into my lane, or across the double yellow, or nearly smashed into someone, and they are there clicking on their phone, usually not even aware that they almost killed someone. I have had to dodge and swerve around people, and even pulling alongside and trying to get their attention, they don't even know that I am there as I can see them updating or reading Facebook. It blows my mind every time I see it, and I see it, no joke, every single day.

As you said, on a bike you are vulnerable, so you have nothing else to do BUT watch everyone else like a hawk, and when you do that for a period of time, your perception of driving and how people drive takes a radical shift... There is how most people assume that they and others drive, and then you begin to understand how people actually drive, and it is staggering, the difference. But you cannot really get people to understand because they are still on the other side of the fence and have not had to look at themselves in action...

I think that if everyone ride a motorcycle for a year in traffic, they would be better drivers on average. It really does act as a wakeup call. I have been riding since 1996, and my girlfriend just stated less than 2 years ago and the transformation in her, which she admits, is profound...

Well said.

I agree that a drivers view would drastically change if they rode a bike for a year. I also see the top side of the driving chain. I am also a CDL Class A operator and teach it here at work for those who want their commercial drivers license. At age 40 I am pretty versatile when it comes to driving.....anything. If it has wheels I can drive it:biggrin:

Josefius

Reaction score
Well said.

I agree that a drivers view would drastically change if they rode a bike for a year. I also see the top side of the driving chain. I am also a CDL Class A operator and teach it here at work for those who want their commercial drivers license. At age 40 I am pretty versatile when it comes to driving.....anything. If it has wheels I can drive it:biggrin:

I ride a bicycle as well, not sure if it relates to the area being a college town, but people here (including some in my family) should not own a smart phone and have a drivers license.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

huskur

Reaction score
I ride a bicycle as well, not sure if it relates to the area being a college town, but people here (including some in my family) should not own a smart phone and have a drivers license.

It's not funny! I know people like that myself.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I am not totally against cyclists on public roads... There are plenty of roads, like in town, or that have lower speed limits and shoulders or room for them that I don't mind...

It's when the speed limits are higher and they can barely manage half of that and they are IN the lane meant for cars that it is a problem. If I was in a car doing 20mph in a 45mph zone and holding up traffic because I refused to move, I can be given a ticket and I think that cyclists should be held to the same standard.

Also, it is a problem when we are up in the Mtns... A lot of cyclists like the challenge and exercise and all that... But when I come around a blind turn doing the 45mph speed limit, and there are 3 cyclists taking up the entire lane doing, no joke, 5mph, I have to either slam on the brakes and hope the truck behind me doesn't smash into me, swerve into oncoming traffic or run the cyclists over... When you have "vehicles" of such disparate speeds trying to occupy the same space, it presents a serious risk of fatality.

Josefius

Reaction score
And I am not totally against cyclists on public roads... There are plenty of roads, like in town, or that have lower speed limits and shoulders or room for them that I don't mind...

It's when the speed limits are higher and they can barely manage half of that and they are IN the lane meant for cars that it is a problem. If I was in a car doing 20mph in a 45mph zone and holding up traffic because I refused to move, I can be given a ticket and I think that cyclists should be held to the same standard.

Also, it is a problem when we are up in the Mtns... A lot of cyclists like the challenge and exercise and all that... But when I come around a blind turn doing the 45mph speed limit, and there are 3 cyclists taking up the entire lane doing, no joke, 5mph, I have to either slam on the brakes and hope the truck behind me doesn't smash into me, swerve into oncoming traffic or run the cyclists over... When you have "vehicles" of such disparate speeds trying to occupy the same space, it presents a serious risk of fatality.

I ride on the shoulder, or on the sidewalk if I can ( I know that's illegal for me to do) but it's not my fault America has ****ty infrastructure to support cycling like they do in Europe. Some cyclists are just as much at fault as morons texting while driving. But the ratio is not in your favor.

mikespe

Reaction score
I agree with this law totally...but i also hear that they are looking into banning ALL cell phone use in the car INCLUDING hands free. Now THAT I have a problem with because if it's OK to talk to your passengers while driving why can't you talk hands free with someone who's NOT in the car with you? This is where the grey areas occur. I agree having the phone to your head is a distraction and texting while driving is just insane!

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Wonder what OnStar's stance would be here. It's a cellular hands-free device meant to improve safety & security for automobile drivers, but it's also a possible technological distraction to safe driving. All I can think lately is: don't get caught moving your lips if you talk to yourself while alone in a moving vehicle... I distract myself enough really well, add in the kids, stereo (maybe arguing with "talk radio"), and even if I leave the smartphone at home to charge, I could see myself getting pulled over for what looks like a hands-free conversation.

The oft forgotten fluent ventriloquists in America could have a special advantage here. I'm just saying...

There are a lot conveniences in this modern world which can distract toward destruction. Unfortunately, laws do not necessarily change the hearts, minds, and habits of people. Correct that: Fortunately laws do not change people. That would be unchecked power if it could be. But consequences for distracted driving could be implemented without a technology-specific new piece of legislation, let alone at the federal level.

People are the root of this problem, with habits of convenience, "left to our own devices." But I for one am truly troubled to think of the consequences which this "solution" sets precedent toward allowing. Surely we can engineer a better way to fix this than labeling it a crime. What's the standard here? Some folks have driving impairments caused by their own (mis)judgment, some can miraculously handle all this technology without a scratch. I am aware of my own limits in many ways, but I'm only at my best when I am focused & without distraction, including when I drive.

Or maybe it's simpler than we realize. Perhaps the technology is really against us & this is part of SkyNet's ultimate plan. I digress. See: distraction. Destruction. Couple vowels & there we go. In a handbasket.

Don't text while walking either or at least beware of bears...

We have here several arguments well-spoken on the left & the right of this issue. Logical & emotional. Practical & otherwise. Experienced & perceived. Is there a 3rd way here we haven't explored, not a messy compromise but something completely different?

meishkov

Reaction score
Once all phones n hands free devices get banned for the driver, we're all gonna have to learn to talk like we're ventriloquists with a puppet while we're driving using our Bluetooth ;)

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

Reaction score
The problem I have with all these laws its that they are only about cell phone use.

I read an article recently that says police officers say it is almost impossible to enforce the texting law. One officer said her pulled a woman over because she was paying more attention to her lap than the road so he assumed she was texting. Turns out she was filling her nails! And the kicker is, that is not illegal so she got to drive off and keep filing.

The second problem is that if an officer pulls you over because he sees you with your phone in your hands, if you tell him you were not texting but you were simply using the GPS, or changing music, there is nothing he can do because the texting law specifically says you cannot use the phone to compose messages. But you can use it to browse music, etc.

Finally, even if you had sent a text message, if you deny it and say you were changing songs, he cannot prove otherwise because he had no authority to check your phone to see when your last text message was.

These laws are ridiculous and I am against them for the sole fact that they are virtually useless and are more for show than to actually make the roads safer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Jungle King 76 said:
The problem I have with all these laws its that they are only about cell phone use.

I read an article recently that says police officers say it is almost impossible to enforce the texting law. One officer said her pulled a woman over because she was paying more attention to her lap than the road so he assumed she was texting. Turns out she was filling her nails! And the kicker is, that is not illegal so she got to drive off and keep filing.

The second problem is that if an officer pulls you over because he sees you with your phone in your hands, if you tell him you were not texting but you were simply using the GPS, or changing music, there is nothing he can do because the texting law specifically says you cannot use the phone to compose messages. But you can use it to browse music, etc.

Finally, even if you had sent a text message, if you deny it and say you were changing songs, he cannot prove otherwise because he had no authority to check your phone to see when your last text message was.

These laws are ridiculous and I am against them for the sole fact that they are virtually useless and are more for show than to actually make the roads safer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Those are all good points. The only way to get a ticket then is if your state has a distracted driving law. And if your state does then it would already cover texting. Lets not lose track of what the original topic was. It was about a FEDERAL LAW BANNING TEXTING. For me it's still about states rights and their control over their highways. This is a local (state not federal) issue and it should be decided by the state and the residents of that state.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

geoff5093

Reaction score

That's why some states have laws that state "driver use of cellular phone prohibited"

meishkov

Reaction score
Those are all good points. The only way to get a ticket then is if your state has a distracted driving law. And if your state does then it would already cover texting. Lets not lose track of what the original topic was. It was about a FEDERAL LAW BANNING TEXTING. For me it's still about states rights and their control over their highways. This is a local (state not federal) issue and it should be decided by the state and the residents of that state.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Come on, you should know by now that the residents of any state don't get to make up their own rules, even though that's the way the law of the land was written. But who abides by that nowadays anyway?? Shoot not even the state can control things, like the medical maryjane law, the gov still wants to crack down.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Come on, you should know by now that the residents of any state don't get to make up their own rules, even though that's the way the law of the land was written. But who abides by that nowadays anyway?? Shoot not even the state can control things, like the medical maryjane law, the gov still wants to crack down.

We all know that the government is out of touch with the voters at all levels but that's a whole new thread.