Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Go post that in the introduction forum.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Dude, I went to look at that person's profile and posts and next thing I knew they were banned. I was in mid-investigation!

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

ambrown

Reaction score
I both agree and disagree with this. People who use their phones need to be aware while driving. Yet I don't see a problem with using hands-free devices and software to use mobile devices while driving. I think California has a complete ban even on hands free technology. I disagree with that since I feel that those technologies can be used responsibly. But overall I'd agree with a law limiting mobile use in cars.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude, I went to look at that person's profile and posts and next thing I knew they were banned. I was in mid-investigation!

*whistles innocently while walking away*

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
*whistles innocently while walking away*

So you're the culprit! Lol. Seriously though, I was about to go read their posts "this user has 0 posts." Wut? It says 24! Back out, go back to the profile, BOOM banned. I was like, "well, ok. That works..." Anyway, back on topic.

I agree that certain people need something like a limitation on what they can do with a mobile device in cars, but a full on ban is ridiculous. I hate how the commercials depict people staring at their phones for 5 seconds at a time. I use to be able to type using a flip phone without even looking at the phone. That changed with my first smartphone, my D1, but I started using voice to text and just correcting its mistakes, but I take my time, looking for just a millisecond then reverting my eyes back for a minute or so. Unless I'm in a busy area or near a few cars, or if I'm on a very windy or hilly road. I don't advocate texting while driving, but I've kind of developed a mini system to do it. And the Constitution gives me the right to do it. No matter what the current government says or does. They change our Constitution, one that was set to keep people like them from doing what they're doing, to suit their needs.

tc1

Reaction score
See this is going to far. Their shouldn't be a law for this type of thing. I live in Washington and we have a state law for this and it doesn't stop anyone from using their phone wile driving. You even see Police Officers on their cell phones wile driving not to mention their radio. It's the same thing as the seat belt law. Aren't we adults? Do we really need some one to tell us what to do and how to do it? I mean come on, their's laws on everything these days basically for more revenue from tickets, etc. What happened for one's own self being responsible and reliable for what they do and the consequences.:confused:

You will change your mind when you have children and you almost get smashed into ever other day by some idiot young woman posting on fb or texting.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
tc1 said:
You will change your mind when you have children and you almost get smashed into ever other day by some idiot young woman posting on fb or texting.

warning.png
Credit: http://www.xkcd.com

(Tone not implied here, last time I posted on this thread I intended a Mr. Mackey a la South Park voice about "cellphones are bad, mmkay?" ...take this or leave it, I'm trying to add some extra logic to this problem, but in reality I am wasting my breath in the face of a deeply emotional and political topic. Here goes!)

IF you're an alert and responsible parent, the road is a scary place. Having 2 kids riding in the back of our wagon, strapped into their safety-law-approved booster seats, always wanting full attention of mom & dad (when they're not demolishing each other or asleep, of course), we pray for safety. Just don't pray & drive if you can't do that without closing your eyes...

Is the goal of instituting a law to ban mobile device distractions in cars to: A.) Modify the behavior of drivers (to promote safety & prevent related accidents), B.) Provide precedent for monetary punishment for only those drivers who get caught (gee, I'm looking in my lap an awful lot, it's fascinating down there, oh hello officer!), C.) Demonizing idiotic behavior by isolating a problem that should be able to be corrected in a more effective manner... ??? D.) None of the above?

This is an easy issue to champion, and it's a divisive topic of opinion, and I dare say technology has sped way past reasonable use for the sake of convenience such that fatal injury was never anticipated by the developers. Maybe it would be reasonable to ask that mobile device owners earn a license to talk & drive, etc., where states could require the driver to demonstrate competency operating the phone while driving? There then would be reasonable (opinions here, all of it, mind ya) expectation that officers would have a right to single out visible phone-using drivers at "phone sobriety checkpoints," traffic stops, etc. But we've gone down roads like this before...

Laws on the books make citizens feel safer (at least in an "on my best days" sense), but the danger isn't removed. Maybe it will eventually lead to development of safer technology by demand of users who MUST have the feature legally. But can't we get there without a possibly unnecessary (opinion, breathe people) new law? Maybe not.

Local law enforcement has said publicly that they don't need a new law to pursue distracted drivers (and yes, you can count nearly the same ratio of does/doesn't talk on cell phone patrol officers as regular citizens, in my observation. Turning on the lightbar to avoid a stoplight is technically illegal, and who hasn't seen that? Again, I'm not judging, just saying that people will always make bad decisions. But that will never happen to me or anyone I care about, right?

Recent accident causing a death here this summer sensationalized in the news for a couple days as a texting driver, failed to mention driver was going nearly DOUBLE THE SPEED LIMIT through a stoplight. But I suppose he'd have been a better speeder if he wasn't texting and avoided causing a fatal accident.

Maybe the carriers develop real ROAMING CHARGES to say you're paying overages for accessing text/data features while in motion above a certain speed according to GPS... but I stream music to the car stereo so I know I wouldn't like that so much. That would be an interesting and evil solution, but only until the truly dangerous drivers find a different carrier who doesn't regulate. We are devious kids aren't we?

How much right do we have to endanger others, but then how much do we limit freedoms (and the freedom to make poor or even dangerous choices)? It boils down to convenience plus the fact that we all tend to believe ourselves better than the next person (more competent driver, better parent, etc.).

It's easy to say "there ought to be a law" but there also ought not to be a need for law. Either way the problem is deeper than some realize (emotional attachments aside) when it leads to an abuse of our liberties. Reasonable folks would set aside their need for this technology to make sure they keep others safe, and I'm just guessing that we as a society aren't quite that reasonable.

Among my peeves: the contractor on his cell while shoving everyone else off the road in his giant white pick-up truck, probably oblivious to being a juggernaut.

I can autopilot my kids to school, get groceries, fill the gas tank, and barely register where I am or how I got there, WITHOUT the use of my phone involved at all.

Our city postponed a planned vote on measure to enact a ban on texting while driving, because the proponent didn't attend. Hot topic, everyone wants to be the hero here, but I think we really need some more critical thought involved.

Oh hey! How about that app which uses the phone's camera to show you on-screen what the phone is blocking from your vision? Because you know, a headsup display (with a 2sec delay or interrupted by incoming call) would like, totally fix this bad sitch, right? *GRONK!*

(Let us pray)

Or as Bowie & Reznor put it, "I'm afraid of Americans" :)K ...I often scare myself...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
For all the people who do not understand the Constitutional limitations placed upon the Federal Government and who are operating under the dictates of how they think things should be:

418470_395827730471510_143625215_n.jpg

deborah3756

Reaction score
Well, it's evident that more drivers, that can be counted, are irresponsible, rude and dangerous, to the few who PAY ATTENTION while driving.

Naysayers complain about government intervention or intrusion in our lives yet, it's because of those of you who talk and text while driving your cars into the side of mine that are the cause of these interventions and intrusions.

How about this: I see another one of you selfish-self important-moronic twits texting or talking on your cells, how about I stop traffic and you, snatch that flippin' phone out your hand and shove it down your throat. I don't want your car intruding into mine!

How quickly will you call the authorities then? You know the authorities you don't intervening or intruding in your lives.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Droid Forums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never had a problem taking on my phone while driving. I'm more focused on driving than following the conversation so sometimes I loose track of where the conversation went.

I have no problem with people talking on the phone while driving but I think that a hands free law could benefit everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...How about this: I see another one of you selfish-self important-moronic twits texting or talking on your cells, how about I stop traffic and you, snatch that flippin' phone out your hand and shove it down your throat. I don't want your car intruding into mine...

So...you're going to make the roads safe by stopping traffic and ramming a phone down someone's throat? Hmmm...I think you're confused about what "safe" means.

Besides, I wouldn't recommend it, personally. 49 out of 50 states allow for concealed carry of personal firearms.

deborah3756

Reaction score
Narsil said:
So...you're going to make the roads safe by stopping traffic and ramming a phone down someone's throat? Hmmm...I think you're confused about what "safe" means.

Besides, I wouldn't recommend it, personally. 49 out of 50 states allow for concealed carry of personal firearms.

Conceal and carry, that IS correct! I'm an old school Vet.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Droid Forums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
we will create robots to drive our cars just so we can use our phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk