Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

WizardPrang

Reaction score
Well obviously the $300 plus fine and loss of points off your licence here is not enough well then maybe after the accident a wheelchair or death might be better huh?
The trouble is that somebody else ends up in the wheelchair.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
This thread is bound to keep growing quickly by its very nature. We all want to add in our thoughts because we care: about the issue, about the real-world effects (including death), about where we're headed as Americans... and we have this technology that lets us get our thoughts out there for others. I admit I haven't read the whole thing, but I plan to. I'd like to respond to the last half-dozen or so posts:

This hits the nail on the head. Officers of the law will tell you: the law is not the problem and it is not the solution. It's enforcement...

How many more people do we look around and see at intersections staring down at their belly buttons lately? Oh wait, no, that's a miniature touchscreen they're focusing on. No, you have to put down the phone AND look up to see them. Out the window. Yes, there they are! Oh, you're driving? Driving has become so easy (I have no idea how to drive manual transmission, and I don't ever fathom that being an option in my next car which apparently will be an electric hybrid)... and why do they have the devices in their laps, below eye level, are they afraid of getting caught using them but unwilling to stop?

This is an emotional topic. Duh, you say, but how many poorly-written, loose, (or practically impossible to enforce) laws do we need our government legislature billing us for? Please understand I write this as an asthmatic who didn't want the current SD state smoking ban imposed on businesses in the first place. But no, nobody wants to be the bad guy looking like they don't want to protect people from smoke, so it gets passed for emotionally guilty reasons without a critical second thought: where will these people smoke? Now instead of avoiding the bar downtown or the smoking section at a diner (my city in SD was the per capita restaurant capital of the USA less than 10yrs ago), I also have to avoid the adjacent shops because everybody who would smoke is smoking out front where I can't easily avoid it. But if I could wade my way through the fog, I am "free" to breathe easily at the bar. Yeah right!

Phones in general are wonderfully bad technology. Bullying is bad. Guns are bad. Puns are bad. I like salt and sugar, but I know too much is bad. Do I need my government telling me all this? Apparently we've elected individuals who do believe it's their duty, compassionately protecting me from evil and danger. What a mess we are in! And for that matter, where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

So now that my hair is graying I feel I can be grumpy and say things, like: remember when we didn't have cordless phones? Convenience, or rather our fondness for it, is killing us. Perhaps it's time to decide where we place our care. I don't have to evangelize to show you how I want to live life but I may have to say something if you notice me and ask me why. Parents warn your children. Do your best to help them learn to think critically about important things. It all moves too fast and can't be undone.

I am of at least 2 minds on this matter: 1) the government should not be involved in deciding these things, and 2) people ought not only to know better, but to behave accordingly, perhaps being punished when they don't. Where's the line? It's been said before: driving isn't a right, it's a privilege. Same is true for phone conversations or other gadget usage. But rarely have I seen government successfully encourage individuals to act wisely.

Perhaps that's too cynical. Cynicism is bad, too. :)K

Recently I find it frustrating how many computer clients, when I say, "sorry I'm driving now & may I contact you later?" continue right into describing a software problem and expect full attention regardless. So then I don't answer when I drive. But does that make me a responsible business person, no I may miss out on a job or new client that way. But I am trying to be a responsible driver. And that's the point. Whatcha doin? Nothing, just driving...

NOT IN MOTION WHEN I WROTE THIS... but ironically could've!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
MrCatPc,
I know this is a bit off topic but something that you said really struck a nerve with me. You said that cell phones are a wonderfully bad technology and that guns are bad and that we don't need the government telling us this because we know it. I guess I'm dumb because the last time I checked cell phone technology and guns were not bad. This is a sticking point with me. Both guns and cell phones are neither good nor bad. They are both inanimate objects. They can used for good or bad but they themselves are neither. This liberal thinking needs to be slammed down every time it comes up and that's why I couldn't let your comments go. Government and their need to intrude on my life needs to be brought to a screeching halt. In case you didn't see my posts on this topic I believe that this is a state issue. As with most things the feds have no business getting involved in this whatsoever.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think (maybe?) MrCat was trying to communicate that we live in a time where the inanimate objects are blamed and deemed "bad", regardless of the humans behind those inanimate objects. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's kinda how I took it actually...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think (maybe?) MrCat was trying to communicate that we live in a time where the inanimate objects are blamed and deemed "bad", regardless of the humans behind those inanimate objects. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's kinda how I took it actually...

I agree. I don't judge an object. A hammer can be used to build a homeless shelter, or cave in someone's skull. You can use a gun to feed a family, or rob a store. A cell phone can call in an emergency, or cause you to become or cause an emergency.

The holder of the object is what determines good or bad. I carry a gun every single day in public, and to me, it is a good thing.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I know I pounced quick on that reply but I have heard so much BS from liberals trying to blame and ban guns instead of dealing with the scum using it. A little background on me. I'm ex military police so this is an issue near and dear to my heart.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

droidx2010

Reaction score
I would totally support a federal ban on cell phone use while in a car. I would even support a law that mandated that cell phone makes incorporate a GPS function, that if the phone is traveling at more than 15mph, that it will not let you call or text unless you are connected to a hands free device.

As an avid rider, I have nothing better to do when riding than to watch "cagers" and all the nutty stuff that they do. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I have been cut off, almost hit, etc... because some idiot is playing with their phone instead of driving. People have had the chance to use their heads and do the right thing, and the reality is that the average person cares more about updating their facebook page from the car than making sure that they don't kill someone. If people won't police themselves, we leave the government no choice but to do it for us.

It isn't the government's fault that society is too lazy to do the right thing. We bring this stuff on ourselves.

I don't mind people talking on Bluetooth, as that isn't much different than them talking to someone in the car. But when people sit there holding their phone to their head, their attention to driving goes out the window. They don't even have a free hand to use turn signals and they cannot turn their heads to check for other vehicles.

If people won't police themselves, we invite Big Brother to do it for us.

And if they do pass such a law, I think that it needs to be a very pricey ticket. None of this $50 stuff. Make the ticket $500. Make it so painful that people simply won't do it. And if someone has an accident, I also think that as part of any investigation, they should be able to pull a phone record to see if the person was on the phone or texting at the time of the accident, and if so, they are automatically at fault and should have their license suspended for 6 month.

Sound harsh? So is being hit by an inattentive driver and dragged under the back of his truck through a bank parking lot as he didn't even realize that he hit a motorcyclist. I know first hand how much that sucks.

WOW - Somone that's totally on my bandwith! Thanks dude. I may have been a bit harsh but you really hit the nut. I'm totally against the "Big Brother" thing but on this, I'm all in.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
for all the people who are for this mandate, are you turning off your phone, throwing it in the trunk,leaving it at home or lock it up in the glove box once you open your car door to get in now, a year ago, 2 years ago? Did you do it since cell phone became popular? I mean, if you arent doing it and are waiting for a law to mandate it then all you are doing are pointing fingers.

all the govt want to do now is just pass laws and collect money in the name of public service and safety. example smoking, cigarette tax was help the state. and they increase the tax hoping to fund the early child hood development. it all sound nice but then they turn around and start imposing tons of law in california you cant smoke inside anywhere, 20 feet near a building etc etc so in turn the number of smokers drop. more quit because the tax was out of hand, now there is little money for the first 5 kids.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I admit to using my phone on occasion while driving, but I do so responsibly. Such as on a rural road at a stop light I'll quickly see who it was that texted me and will maybe send a quick text back, but I don't text when I know it will impair my driving.

huskur

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I will not begrudge anyone for stating theirs but I do have something to add.... Point #1- I have twin 3 year old girls and a 6 year old boy. If I can hold simultaneous conversations with them on road trips and have to deal with the bickering and have no issues with it affecting my driving abilities, I think I can take a very simple phone call. Fact Point #2- I have owned a cell phone since the invention of the bagphone (remember those back in the early 90's) and I have NEVER had a safety issue taking a phone call in my vehicle. (so we are on the same page---I would never never never text unless I pulled off the road and stopped) Texting is your true culprit in this convo

droidx2010

Reaction score
for all the people who are for this mandate, are you turning off your phone, throwing it in the trunk,leaving it at home or lock it up in the glove box once you open your car door to get in now, a year ago, 2 years ago? Did you do it since cell phone became popular? I mean, if you arent doing it and are waiting for a law to mandate it then all you are doing are pointing fingers.

all the govt want to do now is just pass laws and collect money in the name of public service and safety. example smoking, cigarette tax was help the state. and they increase the tax hoping to fund the early child hood development. it all sound nice but then they turn around and start imposing tons of law in california you cant smoke inside anywhere, 20 feet near a building etc etc so in turn the number of smokers drop. more quit because the tax was out of hand, now there is little money for the first 5 kids.
No, won't turn off my phone or leave it in the trunk. Just won't use it while driving...

The tax on smoking was to punish the ciggarette manufactures for ignorring the fact that it causes cancer. Smoking in Az. is banned in closed areas as well. I applaud this. Who wants to smell like an ashtray after they have a nice meal. If you want to smoke, go to a bar.

droidx2010

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I will not begrudge anyone for stating theirs but I do have something to add.... Point #1- I have twin 3 year old girls and a 6 year old boy. If I can hold simultaneous conversations with them on road trips and have to deal with the bickering and have no issues with it affecting my driving abilities, I think I can take a very simple phone call. Fact Point #2- I have owned a cell phone since the invention of the bagphone (remember those back in the early 90's) and I have NEVER had a safety issue taking a phone call in my vehicle. (so we are on the same page---I would never never never text unless I pulled off the road and stopped) Texting is your true culprit in this convo

No - using the cell phone, period, is the culprit with the exception of a handsfree device.

"point #1": This is the same type of distraction as using a cell phone and worse. Someday, you'll get in an accident and blame it on the other driver instead of your kids that actually caused the distraction.

"Point #2": You were lucky to not have a safety issue taking a phone call in your vehicle. You should; however, pull over if texting (so we're on the same page). Cell phones are the true culprit in this convo, not just texting.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No - using the cell phone, period, is the culprit with the exception of a handsfree device.

"point #1": This is the same type of distraction as using a cell phone and worse. Someday, you'll get in an accident and blame it on the other driver instead of your kids that actually caused the distraction.

"Point #2": You were lucky to not have a safety issue taking a phone call in your vehicle. You should; however, pull over if texting (so we're on the same page). Cell phones are the true culprit in this convo, not just texting.

This has been argued endlessly on this thread, so I won't rehash this point (whether or not talking on the phone is that much of a distraction).

My question remains, if there are other things in the car that can be as much of a distraction as talking on the cellphone (not texting), then why not ban them as well? What doesn't fall under that category except for your hands being at 10 and 2 with your eyes constantly on the road?

doublejack

Reaction score
You know my position if you've read this thread.

It is now devolving into a pervasive misunderstanding of individual rights and juvenile nonsense. I don't care nor does anyone else (realistically speaking) if you light yourself on fire because you can. I care when you take my safety in your hands.

These mindless rants about how good a driver you are while everyone sucks, about how you won't let "the man" tell you what to do, or how you've already figured a way around any law that gets passed all miss the point: driving while talking on a cellphone (much less the texting morons) is not as safe as driving without talking on a cellphone.

You, personally, are not the issue; we all are. There are less than 1% of us who have ever made a cellphone call that saved a life. There are much less than 1% of us that made a cellphone call that saved a life while driving.

Whether a law gets passed or not, try not to confuse what's convenient for you with what's safe for everyone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

The key distinction, for me, is the use of a hands free device. You tell me, what's the difference between conversing with a passenger within the vehicle and someone on the phone if I'm using a hands free device? There isn't one!

The notion that having a conversation necessarily impairs one's driving is utter rubbish. It's the same as claiming that having the radio on turns someone into a bad driver. There's no truth to it.

Having limitations, though, like having to hold a phone to your head... I can completely accept that may be an issue, which is why I don't do it. Hands free devices make a huge, huge difference.