Factory reset then new phone yet problem followed me

bigd87

Reaction score
I recently started having a problem with my droid 3. Its not rooted or messed with much. Last week I was using an app, then hit the standby button and put it in my pocket. About 15 minutes later I heard the droid chime and thought it was someone else. Then I heard it again about 3 minutes later, looked at my phone and it was in the process of rebooting for no reason. As it loaded up the home screen the background was black and after I unlocked it, it displayed a message about process and to wait or force close then about 30 seconds later it would reboot by itself and display the black background with the process message again and would stay in this loop until I took the battery out. The phone would be fine for about an hour then it would happen again randomly. Also the standby button doesn't turn off the screen when its doing this although I can hold it and get it to turn off which reboots it and starts the cycle again.

I brought the phone into verizon as it was happening and they told me to do a factory reset. They said it might have been from a bad app. It worked for about an hour but then happened again. I had not installed any new apps at all when it happened. I brought the phone back to verizon as it was happening again, i asked if maybe it could be my memory card, the guy said highly unlikly so they shipped me a new phone. I put my memory card and sim card in the new phone added some apps yet the same exact thing happened again twice the day after I got the new phone.

Any ideas on what could be happening? I am stumped. Could it be the memory card, sim card, google account, or battery?

OP
B

bigd87

Reaction score
ok. i did some research and tried something. I read that sometimes droids reboot randomly because the wifi is turned on. so i kept the wifi off for 2 days and had zero issues with the phone. then i turned on the wifi again and not 3 hours later the phone did the same thing as before. so its definitely from the wifi being turned on. but how could that problem follow me onto my new phone? it has happens on 2 separate networks that are many miles apart. does anybody have any recommendations? is there like app i can download to replace the default wifi one?