upgrading from Droid 2 TODAY. What's the best way to get my old info on new phone?

cwscms

Reaction score
Will my apps automatically reload?
Do I need to take note as to what they are?

I have several apps stored on my Droid 2 memory card... can I use the old card in the new phone?

Is there anything I should do to prepare?

Thanks... trying to go within the hour...

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Your apps are associated with your gmail account, so you won't loose them. So are your contacts, just be sure to sync your gmail to make sure.

Sent by the Unbrickable DROID

solar

Reaction score
Like CJM said, contacts, purchased apps, wifi connections are all associated with your gmail account. as long as you use the same gmail, you'll get those back.

the data within the apps is a different story. Some apps have a backup/export funtion built in so you can import your data on the new phone. A lot, like games don't. the only way you can backup and restore apps with all the data intact is by rooting your old old phone and using something like titanium to back it up. Other apps like My Backup Pro can backup some apps and will auto install them all for you, but only a rooted phone can backup and restore with all data.

You can certaionly use your old SD card, and I actually recommend it. If you upgrade to a new one, copy everything over to the new one. Keep your old one handy so you can reference what apps you have installed or make a list because sometimes free apps aren't saved in your "My apps" area of the Android Marketplace liek the purchased apps are.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I saw this recently with a friend she left verizon for t-mobile and her contacts wouldn't sync with her samsung galaxy... So what I did
is export her contacts to her sd card then import her contacts to her new phone... I tried bluetooth but that was taking forever!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
It would be nice if google added a TIBU type functionality to android. Where your app data syncs with your google account.

Reaction score
I saw this recently with a friend she left verizon for t-mobile and her contacts wouldn't sync with her samsung galaxy... So what I did
is export her contacts to her sd card then import her contacts to her new phone... I tried bluetooth but that was taking forever!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

The last time I saw that issue on a Samsung phone, they didn't have contact sync enabled originally, so it was basically their own fault.