Setup for upgrading from Droid 1 to Droid 3..

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Hello,
I will be receiving my Droid 3 in a day or two. I remember that when I reset my OG and signed into my google account, it redownloaded all my old apps. Well I DO NOT want that to happen with my new phone. I want to be selective and methodical as I add apps to my new phone.

Is there any way to keep it from adding all the old apps from my old phone? Do I just uninstall my old apps from the old phone before I deactivate it and activate the new one?

This is my first upgrade (from android to another android) so I appreciate all help/advice I can get.

Thanks again.

bizzshow

Reaction score
Just skip adding your google account during the initial setup and add it after you get to the home screen it shouldn't resync your apps if you do that

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Actually i came drom the d1 as well and it didnt do it. I signed in to google, but actually had to look all the apps i had up again. It might've had somethingto do with the recent market update tho. You'll dig the d3 tho, cool gadget i think...

Sent from my DROID3

steveff4

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm doing this same exact upgrade today. I added my Google account and it synced all of my contacts, and my wifi settings. It did not install all of my applications, although when I go into market, it does show the ones I have purchased.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Hi All,
OK thank SO MUCH for all the helpful replies! I had read somewhere a mention of not signing into google during initial setup. Even if it does not do the auto download at initial setup, I will do that "trick" just to be safe.

Yes I CANNOT wait to get my new phone. Going on vacation road trip for a week this coming weekend so there will be lots of breaking-in fun while navigating the coast! dancedroid

Thanks again everybody and cheers!

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
I also have one more question... when I activate my D3 and my D1 is deactivated, will I still be able to access the apps and whatnot on my deactivated D1 in case I forget to transfer some content over to the new phone? It's not like an iPhone where the entire phone is basically locked down when it isn't activated, correct?

celtic11

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the thing about not signing into google during setup must be correct. I went from a d1 to d3 this weekend and the first d3 the guy had me sign in during setup and it transferred all of my apps and even my background. That phone had a bad mic do they had to activate another one for me. I told the guy to just get service on it so I could get out if there and i'll do the google stuff later. This time nothing transferred except my contacts.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the thing about not signing into google during setup must be correct. I went from a d1 to d3 this weekend and the first d3 the guy had me sign in during setup and it transferred all of my apps and even my background. That phone had a bad mic do they had to activate another one for me. I told the guy to just get service on it so I could get out if there and i'll do the google stuff later. This time nothing transferred except my contacts.

There are checkbox options when you activate to not transfer apps. I left that unchecked to manually re-add all my apps. Haven't had a single reboot (although I probably just jinxed myself :icon_eek:)

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I also have one more question... when I activate my D3 and my D1 is deactivated, will I still be able to access the apps and whatnot on my deactivated D1 in case I forget to transfer some content over to the new phone? It's not like an iPhone where the entire phone is basically locked down when it isn't activated, correct?

I still use my deactivated d1 via wifi at my house or other hotspot. The device will basically function like a wifi only mini tablet once deactivated.

akhi216

Reaction score

There are checkbox options when you activate to not transfer apps. I left that unchecked to manually re-add all my apps. Haven't had a single reboot (although I probably just jinxed myself :icon_eek:)

This... There are checkbox options to restore or not restore apps that are backed up on Google's servers when you activate the phone and after you do a factory reset.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks again people. I look forward to moving on with my sweet new phone while still having my Wifi only OG! dancedroid