EZ Tether APP

hotkoko

Reaction score
I saw this app does anyone have it? It says I can tether without any fee. Joust that the app is 9.99 one time fee. But how does the app work?

Sent from my DROID PRO

Reaction score
I recommend PDANet, but it really comes down to preference. PDANet has a free version you can use first before purchasing it, the only thing is with the free version, you can't access secure sites (httpS://) but you'll really only need to use those sites anyways for bank accounts and credit card/paypal transactions.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
H

hotkoko

Reaction score
I saw pdanet on there. Is it free to tether? Can I use it on my ps3? Is there a difference?

Sent from my DROID PRO

Reaction score
Yes it's free, aside from the one time purchase fee. I think I paid $9.99 for mine.

I've heard people say they've tethered to their PS3 or Xbox, but I myself never have, and I've never actually witnessed it, so I really can't say. I use it mainly for watching Netflix on my laptop at work.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
H

hotkoko

Reaction score
How fast is it? Probably not that fast right?

Sent from my DROID PRO

OP
H

hotkoko

Reaction score
And also I can go on any website? It works like a modem right. I don't have internet service here yet for my pc

Sent from my DROID PRO

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Its not wireless tethering, its via usb and requires you to install client side software on the computer you are trying to tether to. It works by setting up a local ip address on your machine and redirects traffic through your phone to that ip. Essentially it turns your phone into a proxy server but rather than redirecting traffic over the Internet to your computers ip, the traffic is actually redirected through your usb cable and communicates with the open local port at the address the client side software sets up for you.

As far as your carrier is concerned, I don't think they have any way of telling who uses it besides an educated guess based on a user's relative monthly data consumption in comparison to the rest of their customer base; since the data isn't actually being broadcasted as a wireless network but rather routed through your devices mini usb port to a local address, from their end it probably looks no different than regular data usage on your device. They are however able to track which users are wirelessly tethering without paying for the plan because they can just send out simple data packets to peoples phones and pick up the differences in the way its transmitted. Tethering without pay has become a major problem for the service providers because people are using it excessively and oversaturing the network, forcing them to either take action or spend a ridiculous amount of money on building more towers. Businesses usually will always take the least expensive solution to tackle a given problem so I really wouldn't be surprised if people who are using data excessively start receiving C&D's in the near future.

I am not your service provider so I really don't care, but please note that the more people who tether without a plan, the more likely the service providers are going to become less customer friendly and start cutting back on all their promotional offers and beneficial policies for end users. Tethering is fine in my opinion because from a technical perspective its really no different then regular data usage, but to the same extent some people have really taken this to the next level and use it as if it were their home isp. Regardless if your plan is "unlimited" just be aware that if your service provider had it their way they would want you paying an additional 20 per month for a measly 2GB of the same data... so users who are pulling down 100GB+ are technically getting away with not paying $1,000 worth of service every single month.. I think that by those calculations its pretty easy to see why the service providers are pissed off. Moral of the story is do whatever you want but maybe consider exercising a little discretion.... lol.

To answer your questions, you can't use PDAnet to tether to a ps3 because it requires client side software. You would need to root and wirelessly tether (or actually pay for the service... lol).

Also, I am pretty sure with a little ingenuity you could use the free version along with a VPN and be able to access https web addresses... but then you would be effectively avoiding to pay for an app that's made to help you avoid paying for service..LOL .. that's probably the lowest you can go if you have any guilt about any of this... lol. But on a side note, setting up a VPN along with PDAnet would probably hands down be the number one safest way to tether. There literally would be absolutely no way for them to detect that unless they were able to access your google account and see that you made the purchase... but even then, who said that you can't buy an app? What if you never use it? Unless the service providers have some sort of new sophisticated technology that I am not aware of and are actually going through the trouble and expense of implementing something like that then I think it's safe to say that VPN + PDAnet would keep you off their radar for a long time. Good luck.

Hope that helps. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Edit: I just realized that this thread is pertaining to the app EZ tether and not PDAnet. I have never actually used that one so I don't know if it works the same way. I am assuming the basic scheme is the same but IDK if it actually requires client side software or not...? Maybe it just uses the standard usb local port:80 or whatever it is.. that would be really cool if it did... in that case I don't see why you couldn't set it up to work on the ps3 if you wanted.. unless it didn't interface well or the standard local ports are different..? But maybe you change some configurations through the app itself or on the ps3. I am not sure.. would be cool to find out. If anyone knows I would be interested to find out about that. Please let me know. I don't have a ps3, but I like to learn new things.. lol. I bought PDAnet back when I first grabbed my DroidX because I hadn't read up on rooting yet at the time. Needless to say, I certainly felt silly paying 20 bucks (or whatever it was at the time) to buy a tethering app that didn't even work wirelessly when you can do that for free on a rooted phone... oh well.. lol. However, now I actually am kind of happy I grabbed it because I might go back to doing it that way since wirelessly tethering is become more sketchy now. I am gonna look into setting it up through a VPN like I suggested in this thread because that would be a really slick way to do it. If I figure it out I will post back with my instructions or a link to a resource or something... I really don't see how it would be all that difficult, its probably ridiculously easy... either way, I will post back.

I honestly wish that the service providers just revised their policies a little... I wouldn't mind paying for tethering if it wasn't ridiculously priced. I can't believe the get away with pretending like its a different service... anyone who has a surface level understanding of how the internet works should be able to reason that data is data. They charge $30 bucks for unlimited plans and $20 dollars for 2GB of tethering... really? I just don't get it... its so unrepresentative of its actual worth that I just don't see bringing myself to ever pay that, even if I didn't care about the money at all... If I was actually paying for tethering I would be anticipating to actually use it more often, but 2GB? I could blow through that it a few days of heavy usage. One of these service providers really needs to step up and revised their policies otherwise I just don't see any hope for them keeping that up without people figuring out how to go around it. But hey... I really can't blame them, if they are actually able to get away with that and people are actually willing to pay an 20 extra dollars per month for a few gigabytes of a service they effectively already pay a monthly fee to have an unlimited amount of, then more power to them. That is just smart business on their part. If I could do that I know I would. Here's a bag of 5000 grapes that I will charge you 5 bucks for, but if you want, for an additional fee of just 2 dollars, I will give you 5 whole extra grapes out of the bag that you can eat whenever you want! Want to sign up? Yeah? Awesome! But hey, you better not take a few grapes out of your original bag and start using those for the same thing! If you do, you will have violated our agreement and I will never sell you grapes ever again. Take your bad customer practices elsewhere, we just wont stand for it! LOL.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited: