Extedned Battery trouble

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I feel like that is a bad idea. There is a batterylife thread somewhere in this forum that cycling like that isn't necessary and that type of cycling sounds a little extreme. I like the idea about deleting the battery cache because the phone could be estimating battery life based on past use. I know with my phone, the first few days on the extended battery were off as the battery and the phone weren't linked well so when I rebooted my bat life would jump back up.

It's not a bad idea. In the world of "smart" batteries (such as this phone uses), this is called a "soft reset" of the monitor circuit inside the battery.

It happens because the circuit can (and in designed to) learn over time what the full charge of the battery should be.

The 'smart' battery

Read up on that page to see how and why if you think my advice to be bad.

From everything I have read on these forums, the battery in the DX does not have memory at all. That what you are suggesting is right for those with memory but the dx battery is not one of those. I have read this over and over on these forums.

That's true, lithium ion batteries can actually be hurt by completely draining them. The way these phones determine battery life is in the phone as software, not by a chip in the battery
To get the phone used to the new extended battery, its quicker and easy to delete the batterystats.bin file after a full charge, and the drain it till the phone tells you low battery. This gives it the new parameters of the extended battery. Usually, restarting the phone will show you more battery is left than before, because its getting used to it.

throwscoach

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea. In the world of "smart" batteries (such as this phone uses), this is called a "soft reset" of the monitor circuit inside the battery.

It happens because the circuit can (and in designed to) learn over time what the full charge of the battery should be.

The 'smart' battery

Read up on that page to see how and why if you think my advice to be bad.

From everything I have read on these forums, the battery in the DX does not have memory at all. That what you are suggesting is right for those with memory but the dx battery is not one of those. I have read this over and over on these forums.

That's true, lithium ion batteries can actually be hurt by completely draining them. The way these phones determine battery life is in the phone as software, not by a chip in the battery
To get the phone used to the new extended battery, its quicker and easy to delete the batterystats.bin file after a full charge, and the drain it till the phone tells you low battery. This gives it the new parameters of the extended battery. Usually, restarting the phone will show you more battery is left than before, because its getting used to it.

Does the phone create a new/update batterystat.bin file every time you take it off the charger?

Reaction score

Did you not read the linked article?

The batteries in these phones DO have a memory in the form of a charge monitor circuit. Those circuits remember the charge state of the battery and report it to the phone. This is why it is called a "smart" battery. It does, indeed, remember things.

Again, as I said previously, the Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from traditional "battery memory" by way of crystal growth and the like (such as with NiCd batteries), but the circuit WILL remember the charge state over time due to the fact that it compensates for the voltage output droop which naturally occurs over time.

Do with the information what you will, but this is all fact in a smart battery.

Reaction score

Had you read the linked article, you would know that these phones have a smart battery. The proof in that is that the battery reports its current state (good or bad), its temperature and its voltage output and charge level. All of these are smart options of the batteries in this phone.

Taegost

Reaction score
Since I got my upgraded battery, the phone still acts like it's stock, by the end of my work day it'll say I'm at 20%, but if I reboot, it's actually at 70%. I was just looking for a way to reset the stats, thanks yakuzagang5 for that tip on deleting the file, I'm gonna test that now.