Extedned Battery trouble

SoxFan894

Reaction score
So here is the situation. I bought the extended battery on Sunday. Used the phone until it got to about 10%. Gave the phone a full charge Sunday night into Monday(roughly 11 hours). Installed the Battery Left app, that showed me that I had 18 hours of full charge!!! I was impressed. Used the phone for over a day with out having to plug it in.

Then...Tuesday, the phone was giving me major issues when I started it up. I did a factory reset on it. Charged the phone, woke up and now Battery Left is telling me I have 9.5 hours on full charge. This has been going on for 2 days with teh same results.

Question is...Do I have a bad battery? and What else is suggested?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
doubt it, i'm not sure how an app can predict your battery usage left as it depends on what you do. i can run on a battery for couple days or drain it in several hours. ignore what that app says and enjoy your new battery.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
is your phone rooted? if so, delete /data/system/batterystats.bin
That clears your battery cache. Right now your phone is judging your time left based on the state of the battery AND your usage history. Not the app, the phone itself is judging this. By deleting that and restarting your phone, your phone will "relearn" your new statistics. Or you can just wait awhile for the new statistics to overrun the current cache.

P.s: Ditch the app lol No point in using power to tell you an approximated guess you can figure out yourself lol

OP
S

SoxFan894

Reaction score
Took off that app, and we shall see where this leads me today. I am at 60% and used the phone moderately through out the morning(4 hours of use)

dangerous

Reaction score
I just got my Extended battery yesterday. Fully charged and today at 2:30pm it's already at 50%. my stock battery would be at 70 - 80% at this time.

This one is going back sooner than later.

Lightninrod

Reaction score
I just got my Extended battery yesterday. Fully charged and today at 2:30pm it's already at 50%. my stock battery would be at 70 - 80% at this time.

This one is going back sooner than later.

I'm on my second extended battery and after wall charging it all night, I unplugged it at 7 AM and it was at 15% at 3 PM..... Charges fast though; fully charged at 5 PM... Back on the charger now.

Reaction score
So here is the situation. I bought the extended battery on Sunday. Used the phone until it got to about 10%. Gave the phone a full charge Sunday night into Monday(roughly 11 hours). Installed the Battery Left app, that showed me that I had 18 hours of full charge!!! I was impressed. Used the phone for over a day with out having to plug it in.

Then...Tuesday, the phone was giving me major issues when I started it up. I did a factory reset on it. Charged the phone, woke up and now Battery Left is telling me I have 9.5 hours on full charge. This has been going on for 2 days with teh same results.

If you didn't charge your battery to full before depleting it, you did a bad thing to the memory chip inside the battery.

What you need to do is reset it. Charge it until it says it is full, then COMPLETELY discharge it. That means when it automatically shuts off from low battery warning, keep turning it back on until it no longer turns on.

Then charge it again to full and it should reset the memory in the battery.

throwscoach

Reaction score

If you didn't charge your battery to full before depleting it, you did a bad thing to the memory chip inside the battery.

What you need to do is reset it. Charge it until it says it is full, then COMPLETELY discharge it. That means when it automatically shuts off from low battery warning, keep turning it back on until it no longer turns on.

Then charge it again to full and it should reset the memory in the battery.

I feel like that is a bad idea. There is a batterylife thread somewhere in this forum that cycling like that isn't necessary and that type of cycling sounds a little extreme. I like the idea about deleting the battery cache because the phone could be estimating battery life based on past use. I know with my phone, the first few days on the extended battery were off as the battery and the phone weren't linked well so when I rebooted my bat life would jump back up.

Reaction score
I feel like that is a bad idea. There is a batterylife thread somewhere in this forum that cycling like that isn't necessary and that type of cycling sounds a little extreme. I like the idea about deleting the battery cache because the phone could be estimating battery life based on past use. I know with my phone, the first few days on the extended battery were off as the battery and the phone weren't linked well so when I rebooted my bat life would jump back up.

It's not a bad idea. In the world of "smart" batteries (such as this phone uses), this is called a "soft reset" of the monitor circuit inside the battery.

It happens because the circuit can (and in designed to) learn over time what the full charge of the battery should be.

The 'smart' battery

Read up on that page to see how and why if you think my advice to be bad.

throwscoach

Reaction score
I can see what you are saying, I'm basing my thoughts on the lithium ion battery information on the same site.

Reaction score
I can see what you are saying, I'm basing my thoughts on the lithium ion battery information on the same site.

Yeah, the information you are going on is correct as far as a physical battery "memory" effect goes. This is talking about how the smart feature of the battery needs to be reset from time to time is all.

Li-ion batteries don't really suffer from the "battery memory" effects of excess crystal growth and such like other batteries. :)

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I know this is a forum for the DX. I have the Verizon extended battery does my D1. I all use Battery left from my Seidio. battery days. My power usage fluctuates as well as my phone usage. I wouldignore that app. Sometimes my power reading is at 20-30% after 7 hours and I always like it through the day for 14-18 hours. I have restarted my phone and sometimes when it has read 30% and then it jumps to 60%. I would only be concerned if the pho e cut off after 8 hours.

Fuimusbruce

Reaction score

It's not a bad idea. In the world of "smart" batteries (such as this phone uses), this is called a "soft reset" of the monitor circuit inside the battery.

It happens because the circuit can (and in designed to) learn over time what the full charge of the battery should be.

The 'smart' battery

Read up on that page to see how and why if you think my advice to be bad.

From everything I have read on these forums, the battery in the DX does not have memory at all. That what you are suggesting is right for those with memory but the dx battery is not one of those. I have read this over and over on these forums.