Exchange server sync

jglazer63

Reaction score
Well got my X and the first thing I tried to do was setup corporate sync as I did for all my windows phones. Entered everything and get "unkown error" when it tries to connect. The phone works, everthing else seems fine (browsing etc...) but this is very odd. Any ideas?

Bowtie

Reaction score
Try setting it up as a pop account, this will verify that your data package was properly provisioned to your account. If pop works, then it is a setting that is off.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
got pop to work but i cant get exchange to work... IT guy is helping and im pretty sure all is good on my end.

tried using touchdown as well...

OP
J

jglazer63

Reaction score
6 hours now trying to get this to work and no go. Doesn't work on touchdown ether.

My TouchPro 2 (windows mobile).... no problem whatsoever so I know the server is there.

talked to
...verizon (1 hr)
...motorola (2 hrs)
...verizon (2 hrs)

... so far.

...data package is setup, i can browse web sites fine.

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
Did you cycle power and battery pull? I know you shouldn't have to but...

OP
J

jglazer63

Reaction score
well didn't pull battery ... but power cycled and factory reset a few times.

.... more info .....

had someone try with a regular droid ... no problem
had someone try with another X ... same problem

hmmm.......

Warner

Reaction score
well didn't pull battery ... but power cycled and factory reset a few times.

.... more info .....

had someone try with a regular droid ... no problem
had someone try with another X ... same problem

hmmm.......

How are you doing it? Mine took 5 minutes to set up....

Warner

OP
J

jglazer63

Reaction score
What do you mean "how"? I selected corporate sync. I am a network engineer of over 20 years. I've set these up hundreds of times on Windows Mobile and blackberry phones. This is the first droid I have tried and whamo.

Yea it should take 5 minutes ... well maybe 2.5 minutes. As I said, the regulard Motorola Droid had no problems at all. The guy at verizon is having the same problems and confirmed that its not working on an X but does on an original droid.

I'd be happy to provide temporary credentials if someone wants to play with it and see if they can work it out. Email me at [email protected]

tk-093

Reaction score
What version of Exchange are you running? Are there any ActiveSync policies that are trying to be enforced? I don't know how familiar you are with Android and Exchange, but some devices will not sync if there is a policy that is trying to be enforced that the device will not handle.

To my knowledge, the original Droid can't handle even a PIN password, so if that policy is on, your device will not sync. The Droids we tested had to be exempted from policy to work. The Incredible can take a password policy so that's not an issue. I won't have my X until Monday so I don't know what it will support, but I will be willing to try out temporary creds next week when I get my X.

However, you did mention original Moto Droid syncs, so policy might not be an issue.

OP
J

jglazer63

Reaction score
I have the excpetions in my 2003 SP2 exchange already setup. Yea as I said the Droid 1.0 is fine. I am guessing the incredible will also run. Verizon is publishing a bug report with moto right now. It's definitely a confirmed issue.

Smackbox.org

Reaction score
What do you mean "how"? I selected corporate sync. I am a network engineer of over 20 years. I've set these up hundreds of times on Windows Mobile and blackberry phones. This is the first droid I have tried and whamo.

Yea it should take 5 minutes ... well maybe 2.5 minutes. As I said, the regulard Motorola Droid had no problems at all. The guy at verizon is having the same problems and confirmed that its not working on an X but does on an original droid.

I'd be happy to provide temporary credentials if someone wants to play with it and see if they can work it out. Email me at [email protected]

I am in the same boat my friend, 11 years as an IT professional and i get the same result. I am on a simple exchange account running no ssl and i have no success. I even logged in on the browser and worked fine.

OP
J

jglazer63

Reaction score
I got a few emails about this and its been 12 hours and counting since I started playing and I finally got it resolved.

Its 10:21pm and I just resolved it although you might not like the solution....

I ended up having to install a cert, even an expired one, on the server. It won't get you syncing but it will get you past the setup screen. Once you do that, you can disable the cert on both the server and the phone (it lets you do it correctly in the account manager.... once the account is created of course). Then it syncs fine.

What a pain in the butt! I don't even really know my train of thought on doing this but it did work.

I think, perhaps, if there was some way to edit the phone data files and create the account by hand you can get past all that. I haven't looked into that yet but I know it’s a step in the right direction.

I'll contact motorola about my solution tomorrow...

Hope this helps!

rolandct

Reaction score
I got a few emails about this and its been 12 hours and counting since I started playing and I finally got it resolved.

Its 10:21pm and I just resolved it although you might not like the solution....

I ended up having to install a cert, even an expired one, on the server. It won't get you syncing but it will get you past the setup screen. Once you do that, you can disable the cert on both the server and the phone (it lets you do it correctly in the account manager.... once the account is created of course). Then it syncs fine.

What a pain in the butt! I don't even really know my train of thought on doing this but it did work.

I think, perhaps, if there was some way to edit the phone data files and create the account by hand you can get past all that. I haven't looked into that yet but I know it’s a step in the right direction.

I'll contact motorola about my solution tomorrow...

Hope this helps!

Just curious because I wasn't sure, are you using SSL and it didn't like the cert or are you not using SSL?

On an unrelated note I connected to Exchange 2007 with no problems.

JeepJockey

Reaction score
Connected mine to Exchange 2007 and it accepted the security policies unlike the Droid. It made me create a PIN as soon as I pressed next after entering the credentials. One note, my Data Push under Email Settings was turned off by default so it was running on a fetch schedule. Once I check the Data Push box it worked realtime correctly.