I got a few emails about this and its been 12 hours and counting since I started playing and I finally got it resolved. Its 10:21pm and I just resolved it although you might not like the solution.... I ended up having to install a cert, even an expired one, on the server. It won't get you syncing but it will get you past the setup screen. Once you do that, you can disable the cert on both the server and the phone (it lets you do it correctly in the account manager.... once the account is created of course). Then it syncs fine. What a pain in the butt! I don't even really know my train of thought on doing this but it did work. I think, perhaps, if there was some way to edit the phone data files and create the account by hand you can get past all that. I haven't looked into that yet but I know it’s a step in the right direction. I'll contact motorola about my solution tomorrow... Hope this helps!