Empty Trash Folder

Roughout

Reaction score
I know this has been kicked around some here and I have seen some suggested solutions, none of which make any sense to me. I don't want to delete them one at a time, I don't want to delete all of my account information and all of my good emails. I have over 2000 in one email account trash folder, 1800 in another and over 500 in another. The others are 100 or less. My phone is becoming increasingly worthless as I delete apps to try to make room to keep operating. Does anyone know how to solve this problem without starting over on an empty phone (probably would be an iphone)?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you use gmail? If so the deleted mail isn't on the phone, it's in gmail and shouldn't be affecting your phone at all. If you are using a mail app that may be a different story.

OP
R

Roughout

Reaction score
I use GoDaddy email with my own domain name and with Outlook on my PC. Some accounts I leave on the server and just delete them from my Droid but can return to the server if I need to see them again. I have read that I should just leave them on the Droid and delete them in Outlook and I might could have done that but not now that I have 4000 or more trash email that I can't get rid of. My calendar syncs through gmail but I don't promote any gmail addresses. Thanks for your response.

OP
R

Roughout

Reaction score
Although I admit major advances in the development of the Android phones over the last couple years, the absence of a method to delete email in the trash folder is further evidence that the Android operating system and the Motorola Droid were never developed and ready to go to Market. Maybe in 10 years they will catch up to Apple but I doubt it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I admit major advances in the development of the Android phones over the last couple years, the absence of a method to delete email in the trash folder is further evidence that the Android operating system and the Motorola Droid were never developed and ready to go to Market. Maybe in 10 years they will catch up to Apple but I doubt it.

I am a Mac user (iMac and Mac Book Pro, iPad) and enjoy using their products. I must say, however, that I find your statement not true! I have a Droid. I use the corporate email app for Exchange and K9 for Gmail. I am able to delete emails that have been moved into the Trash folders in both apps/accounts without any issue.

Not sure what is preventing you from accomplishing the same.

OP
R

Roughout

Reaction score
So are you saying that when you view an email on your android phone and then delete it that it doesn't remain in the trash folder for that email account? Or are you saying that you never delete an email on your android device, but only from the server? Or are you saying that you are okay with going to the trash folder and deleting those deleted email messages again, one at a time?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I open either app and delete one or more emails they are moved to my trash. Remember that is the trash on the Gmail and Exchange server. If I open folders, in either app, and select trash I am able to delete any email. Again, this is the trash on the Gmail and Exchange server.

I am able to select one or more emails from the In box or trash to delete. In other words the corporate and K9 app allow you to select multiple emails to open, read and delete.

Hope this helps clarify.

Mike

OP
R

Roughout

Reaction score
You are talking about the your gmail which you regularly use and your corporate exchange server, those situations have nothing to do with people who have this problem. I am concerned with the deleted emails that are stored directly on the phone. I had over 4000 of them and when I deleted the email account on the phone that got rid of them. There is nothing in my gmail account, I don't use it. When the emails are downloaded they are removed from the server and reside in the inbox on the droid and when deleted are placed in the trash folder. Thanks for trying to help though.