Emailing

phat6

Reaction score
How can i copy a texting folder from one person to a gmail email? i have a long series of texts that i need to email to the police dept is there a way to do this?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ask the police department if they can take it in an .xml file. Then go to the Market and download "SMS Backup and Restore" (It's free)

It will back up all your texts in an .xml file and send that file through Gmail. I'm pretty sure the cop shop will be able to open an .xml file.

OP
P

phat6

Reaction score
ok thanks is there a way with that app to select texts from one number only?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok thanks is there a way with that app to select texts from one number only?

Ummmm, no. It backs up ALL your text messages. You would have to delete all of them except the ones going to the police. Might be a pain but if it's important enough to send them to the police then that's the way you would have to do it. I don't know if there is another SMS Backup app that would do that either, I'm pretty sure all apps like that back them all up in case you have to wipe or do a factory reset. Sorry.

OP
P

phat6

Reaction score
maybe i can do 2 back ups? do 1 with all text messages then delete all but the one i need then back that one up then restore?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
maybe i can do 2 back ups? do 1 with all text messages then delete all but the one i need then back that one up then restore?

Yep you can do that ... it will save them with 2 different file numbers. Just remember which file is which. Might want to write it down. Then you can restore them all back. :)

The file will be saved in the app's folder on your SD card. When you go to add an attachment in Gmail, tell it to use "My Files" ... that is the file explorer built into the new OS. Go into your SD Card and find the SMS Backup folder, and then find the .xml file in there and attach it to the email. Hope this helps!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Excellent choice Matty! I actually had to do something similar for a hearing and researched several sms backup apps. SMS backup and restore was the best for saving, viewing, printing or emailing specific texts. With SMS B & R, You can actually go into settings and choose "Selected Conversations Only" and then "Select Conversations" to choose which person's texts you want to backup. It is an excellent app for this purpose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Excellent choice Matty! I actually had to do something similar for a hearing and researched several sms backup apps. SMS backup and restore was the best for saving, viewing, printing or emailing specific texts. With SMS B & R, You can actually go into settings and choose "Selected Conversations Only" and then "Select Conversations" to choose which person's texts you want to backup. It is an excellent app for this purpose.

Thanks Tis ... and thanks for the clarification. Even I didn't know you could select conversations, I had not even gone that far into the settings, but I just checked in my phone and you are indeed correct sir. :hail:

Phat6, yes you can back up selected conversations. Sorry I didn't know that, I just knew what the app would do as far as backing up everything. :)

Thanks again for having my back Tis! :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
NP! The only reason I knew this was because I had to find an app for specifically this purpose and had to go through testing many to find the one that worked. We make a great team! And DF rocks!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
NP! The only reason I knew this was because I had to find an app for specifically this purpose and had to go through testing many to find the one that worked. We make a great team! And DF rocks!

*High Five* :beer2:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You deserve all props... I only jumped in bc I noticed your mention of sms backup & restore and that app has served me well.