Earthquake! App

Anomander

Reaction score
Has anyone else checked out this interesting app? It shows earthquakes from the last 24 hours then maps them on google maps. It has some pretty neat features to it too. It will be interesting to see if any activity occurs near me. (Mt. Hood) is not to far away from me.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Let me know what you think. I like how it gives notifications when one happens.

crspang

Reaction score
Just dl'd and played with it. Its cool. Fortunately I'm not in an earthquake prone area but it's interesting.

HwnDroid

Reaction score
Yeah man I had that app for awhile. It came in handy last weekend when Chile got hit and generated that Tsunami that was headed for us here in Hawaii. Cool app!

KevinJ

Reaction score
I read this thread and - since I"m a geology geek - I downloaded it. I don't know about anyone else, but it sucked my battery dry in just a few hours. At 11am today I had 100% battery, and at 5.30pm the little red LED came on, and I had 5% battery left.

The app was the only thing that had changed on my phone in three weeks, so it had to be it.

Funny thing... I plugged the phone in the charger, uninstalled the app, and suddenly I had 60% battery left.

Weird. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read this thread and - since I"m a geology geek - I downloaded it. I don't know about anyone else, but it sucked my battery dry in just a few hours. At 11am today I had 100% battery, and at 5.30pm the little red LED came on, and I had 5% battery left.

The app was the only thing that had changed on my phone in three weeks, so it had to be it.

Funny thing... I plugged the phone in the charger, uninstalled the app, and suddenly I had 60% battery left.

Weird. :)

Kevin are you running stock? If so it might not be the app. There is a bug in 2.0.1 that will give you a false battery reading. Rebooting your droid will clear it up and you'll see you had more battery then what it says.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Kevin are you running stock? If so it might not be the app. There is a bug in 2.0.1 that will give you a false battery reading. Rebooting your droid will clear it up and you'll see you had more battery then what it says.
Yes, I have a stock phone. I'm not good enough (nor brave enough) to try to root this thing (also no money to spend on a new phone if I screw it up).

I had never had that battery bug show up before, so I figured that it was the last app I had downloaded.

Oh well. Now I know better.

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a stock phone. I'm not good enough (nor brave enough) to try to root this thing (also no money to spend on a new phone if I screw it up).

I had never had that battery bug show up before, so I figured that it was the last app I had downloaded.

Oh well. Now I know better.

Thanks.

Just an FYI that bug seems to happen to people only once and then it doesn't appear again. At least not that I know of. So it won't be a pia if you know what I mean.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Ahhh I figured there was a bug for the battery. I have had this happen to me several times (my Wife's droid too) and we would have it all charged then an hour later it would be down to 40%. After we rebooted it would be back up to a full charge.:)

I think they only way for this app to suck the battery life is to have it refresh as often as it can. I have it set to refresh every hour.

eliassami5

Reaction score
or...you can go to Google and type "earthquake" and it will list all recent earthquakes and even map them! lol what a coincidence

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
or...you can go to Google and type "earthquake" and it will list all recent earthquakes and even map them! lol what a coincidence

Yeah, this is cool as an app but it is available on the internet, has been for years. I'm originally from California and my wife loves to tell me about earthquakes when they happen out there.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
... still waiting on an East Coast earthquake.... the fault line is actually bigger than the west coast fault line :icon_eek:

eliassami5

Reaction score

Yeah, this is cool as an app but it is available on the internet, has been for years. I'm originally from California and my wife loves to tell me about earthquakes when they happen out there.

ive lived in cali for more than 12 years and ive only felt 1 quake for like 2 seconds at the most.