Dust/Foreign Objects Beneath Glass?

rod

Reaction score
I started a new thread about this because I've seen a lot of people with problems that possibly could be solved with this information.

(Also, please note my capitalization and punctuation, along with different font sizes and perhaps a different color thrown in, all very rare for me on message boards. This should point to how important I feel this information is.)

OK, I finally had enough of an eyelash that somehow wedged itself between the glass and screen of my droid. After talking with a tech rep at the VZW store, and them saying my only option was to swap out for a refurb, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Keep in mind doing this, in all likelihood, will void your warranty.

I headed out to the local hardware store and picked up a #0 Phillips screwdriver (around $3) and some Dusting Air (around $10). Then I headed back to my office (since today was a slow workday). <---will not void your warranty

I flipped my droid over, screen down, and pulled out the physical keyboard. Here you'll see five tiny screws. <---will not void your warranty

Unscrew the five screws. <--- Will void your warrant!!!

With a small flat-head screwdriver, gently pull the (now somewhat) loose metal away from the phone. Try not to bend the metal!!! I lifted it just barely enough so the small extension tube would fit between the metal backing and the phone. From here, it's only a matter of angling the tube to clear the debris from underneath the screen.

Keep in mind. I'm not claiming to be a phone expert. I'm not claiming to know anything about servicing a phone. All I'm letting you guys know is that this worked for me. My screen is now eyelash free, and my alleged OCD can take a break for a few moments. I'm sorry, but that eyelash was KILLING me. If this voids your warranty, then remember it was your decision to do so. I never came across any seal that I had to break, so I'm pretty sure I can take my phone into the store and no tech would be the wiser. I hope this helps for you guys, but remember, do so at your own risk!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I started a new thread about this because I've seen a lot of people with problems that possibly could be solved with this information.

(Also, please note my capitalization and punctuation, along with different font sizes and perhaps a different color thrown in, all very rare for me on message boards. This should point to how important I feel this information is.)

OK, I finally had enough of an eyelash that somehow wedged itself between the glass and screen of my droid. After talking with a tech rep at the VZW store, and them saying my only option was to swap out for a refurb, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Keep in mind doing this, in all likelihood, will void your warranty.

I headed out to the local hardware store and picked up a #0 Phillips screwdriver (around $3) and some Dusting Air (around $10). Then I headed back to my office (since today was a slow workday). <---will not void your warranty

I flipped my droid over, screen down, and pulled out the physical keyboard. Here you'll see five tiny screws. <---will not void your warranty

Unscrew the five screws. <--- Will void your warrant!!!

With a small flat-head screwdriver, gently pull the (now somewhat) loose metal away from the phone. Try not to bend the metal!!! I lifted it just barely enough so the small extension tube would fit between the metal backing and the phone. From here, it's only a matter of angling the tube to clear the debris from underneath the screen.

Keep in mind. I'm not claiming to be a phone expert. I'm not claiming to know anything about servicing a phone. All I'm letting you guys know is that this worked for me. My screen is now eyelash free, and my alleged OCD can take a break for a few moments. I'm sorry, but that eyelash was KILLING me. If this voids your warranty, then remember it was your decision to do so. I never came across any seal that I had to break, so I'm pretty sure I can take my phone into the store and no tech would be the wiser. I hope this helps for you guys, but remember, do so at your own risk!

Well, you could do that or you could simply call Verizon, tell a CSR you have dirt under your screen and they will send you a replacement.

Note: Going to a Verizon Store you may not get the same results. Do this over the phone.

OP
rod

rod

Reaction score
Well, you could do that or you could simply call Verizon, tell a CSR you have dirt under your screen and they will send you a replacement.

Note: Going to a Verizon Store you may not get the same results. Do this over the phone.

I called the tech support (sorry, left this part out) and was also told I would be sent a refurb. I've been having the phone since the arrival date, so my 30 days were well over. I take great care of my phone, and under no circumstance wanted to trade away my immaculate (albeit with an eyelash) phone for a refurb with possible scratches and all. So it was an easy call for me. A $13 dollar fix and I'm perfectly content.