Dropped (Thrown) Droid.

bailalail

Reaction score
I work with adults with developmental disabilities in a socialization program. Today we took the group bowling, and a woman who cannot hear and uses sign language asked me for assistance. It appeared her lane had stalled and I happened to have my Droid in my hand as I attempted to press the lane "reset" button. Well, I guess I misunderstood what she was trying to tell me as she slapped my hand as I reached for the reset button which sent my phone falling on the hard bowling alley floor, the battery cover flying off.

I saw red, but I should have told her to hold on a minute and put it back in its case before going over the help as this isn't the first time I've been slapped, pushed, pulled, etc. The Droid is fine, no scratches or any visible damage. I started thinking, however, that maybe it IS worth it to have the accident insurance in the event that something like this happens again. :) I just have the extended warranty as of now and my job requires I carry a phone at all times.

I purchased the phone in early January. Will Verizon allow me add the total equipment protection (I'm assuming this includes accidental damage?) at this point as long as I show them that the phone is not damaged and functioning?

JCo352

Reaction score
I work with adults with developmental disabilities in a socialization program. Today we took the group bowling, and a woman who cannot hear and uses sign language asked me for assistance. It appeared her lane had stalled and I happened to have my Droid in my hand as I attempted to press the lane "reset" button. Well, I guess I misunderstood what she was trying to tell me as she slapped my hand as I reached for the reset button which sent my phone falling on the hard bowling alley floor, the battery cover flying off.

I saw red, but I should have told her to hold on a minute and put it back in its case before going over the help as this isn't the first time I've been slapped, pushed, pulled, etc. The Droid is fine, no scratches or any visible damage. I started thinking, however, that maybe it IS worth it to have the accident insurance in the event that something like this happens again. :) I just have the extended warranty as of now and my job requires I carry a phone at all times.

I purchased the phone in early January. Will Verizon allow me add the total equipment protection (I'm assuming this includes accidental damage?) at this point as long as I show them that the phone is not damaged and functioning?

You're a better person than I am... But about the insurance I'm not sure, I've heard there's a 30 day timeframe for the insurance, but I could be wrong

pyro6128

Reaction score
I do a lot of work on the side with children on the autism spectrum so I know where you're coming from. I would recommend insurance even if you werent in your particular situation, but since you are, you DEF need insurance. I think you'll still be able to get it. I've had kids make grabs for my things and almost knock things including my phone out of my hands all the time.

Last edited:
OP
B

bailalail

Reaction score
You're a better person than I am... But about the insurance I'm not sure, I've heard there's a 30 day timeframe for the insurance, but I could be wrong

Aw, I hope not...I thought I may have heard something similar, but I guess I'll call tomorrow and ask. Perhaps I can purchase insurance from another company....

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Aw, I hope not...I thought I may have heard something similar, but I guess I'll call tomorrow and ask. Perhaps I can purchase insurance from another company....

This should help you out, I hope....

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/17653-insurance-policy-vzw-asurion.html

And welcome to the forum!
:welcome:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

This should help you out, I hope....

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/17653-insurance-policy-vzw-asurion.html

And welcome to the forum!
:welcome:

When I declined insurance when I got my phone they told me I had 30 days to change my mind.. not sure if thats changed.

geronosaurus

Reaction score
When I purchased my Droid, I asked the sales rep if I could get my phone insured later, but he said I couldn't. Hopefully, he was misinformed or was wrong in your case. The last thing you need is a $600 paperweight!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Im kinda confused, I dont eve know why insurance is necessary, whats the deductible, $80? I never had insurance and everytime a phone I had broke they just gave me a new refurb one for $50.... but then again I guess if you lose it, insurance would come in handy :)

cpinto

Reaction score
In years past, I have never been a believer in any extra insurance for things you buy. Financially it never made sense.

Last year, my daughter upgraded and I decided to get the insurance. 2 months later she dropped into the lake.

Filed a claim onlne, 15 minutes tops. 24 hours later she had a new one.

So I'm thinking phone insurance is good if you live an active lifestyle.

LoBatt

Reaction score
If you have homeowner's insurance, you can check to see if you can get a rider for the phone. I understand it can be pretty cheap.

Riley

Reaction score
If you have homeowner's insurance, you can check to see if you can get a rider for the phone. I understand it can be pretty cheap.

That's not a bad idea at all! I might check on that. I declined insurance, but also have a toddler at home, and this AM watched him get a hold of my phone way up on our kitchen table. Seeing that he likes to throw stuff.........:icon_eek: