Dropbox

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi All.

Since upgrading to ICS the Dropbox sync in Settings is greyed out.

How do I get this to sync?

Thanks.
B

HowardZ

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think dropbox does any syncing. Did dropbox ever sync for you ?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well it does camera uploads, though it's not technically a true sync since it doesn't automatically pull stuff down to the phone. That has to be done manually.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
HowardZ said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think dropbox does any syncing. Did dropbox ever sync for you ?

Good question.
I think it did.
I think it should.
It's supposed to upload changes I make to it on my phone, from what I understand.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

B

HowardZ

Reaction score
well, if it makes you fell any better, on my Ics rezound phone, under settings accounts the dropbox sync icon also does nothing.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
That's only for the instant camera uploads. So, like when you take a picture or video on your phone it will automatically upload to your Dropbox. Dropbox only syncs when you open it up, and I don't believe it syncs in the background unless you make changes to a file in your dropbox.

svdroiddude

Reaction score
That's only for the instant camera uploads. So, like when you take a picture or video on your phone it will automatically upload to your Dropbox. Dropbox only syncs when you open it up, and I don't believe it syncs in the background unless you make changes to a file in your dropbox.

Yeah, ok....there's no background sync I suppose. To sync or not to sync, that is the question:happy3:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Again, it's not true sync, since files are saved offline (in the cloud) if uploaded from another source than your phone. The main screen on the phone has a star selection which lets you choose certain offline files to be saved locally for offline use. If it was a true sync, what would be in the cloud would also be on the phone at all times. This would also mean the phone's memory could easily be overrun by uploading large files to your Dropbox account from a desktop PC. Personally, that would be a reason to not want syncing.

FWIW, have you tried Box.com? It's everything Dropbox is and I have 50GB FREE. It's desktop tray application also has a screen capture utility built in, and dumps the url for the captured images right into your clipboard, ready to paste into a posting.

:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago when I rooted my S3, I was able to get 50 GB of Dropbox for free for 2 years. I've come to absolutely depend on Dropbox, especially for automatically syncing my new pictures from my phone. I just got a note that I will be bumped back to 9 GB starting on October 16. I looked at the pricing of Dropbox and it is $99 per year for 100 GB. I really wish there was something in the middle but apparently not. Does anyone have any ideas what is an alternative to syncing photos that are easy to retrieve? I've tried Google Drive and absolutely hated it. It is nowhere near as good as Dropbox. I guess I can bite the bullet, but was looking for any others with ideas about how I can continue Dropbox but not pay such a dear price for it.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't recall how I did it, unless it was an introductory thing. But I use https://www.box.com/ & have 50gbs. It doesn't automatically sync & back up files like other apps. But I've found it better, imo, than other cloud services.

Here's the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.box.android
Yes it was an introductory thing. I got the 50GB lifetime promo but it's 10GB for new users now. It is my favorite of all the cloud apps I've got also.
I also use Copy, gives 15GB of free storage and has auto/manual photo/video upload . It's a good one also that had a promo going where if you invite others via a link they'd give you you got an extra 5GB and so did they. I've got 60GB with them. Here's a link to their app on the Play Store. I'd have sent a link to get you an extra 5GB but I think they've stopped it or I've reached my limit?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.copy&hl=en

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

D

Divergent

Hower dropbox is worth paying for is Box.com a really good alternative ;)
Maybe you can fix something with iftt for syncing ;)