Droids & RFID

wallamic

Reaction score
Is it possible to get RFID tags and attach them to personal products (bikes, laptops, etc) and track them with your Droid similar to the Mobile Defense application???

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How would the Droid read the RFID tags? It doesn't have a built-in scanner.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's not that the DROID doesn't have a "scanner". it doesn't have anything to deal with RF frequencies, period. it would need to transmit AND accept RF in order to even go this direction. since the DROID does neither, it's not possible.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
it's not that the DROID doesn't have a "scanner". it doesn't have anything to deal with RF frequencies, period. it would need to transmit AND accept RF in order to even go this direction. since the DROID does neither, it's not possible.

Which internal Droid hardware (or sensor hack) is used for the metal detector apps? And might something similar be done for RFID?

Silver Member
Reaction score

Which internal Droid hardware (or sensor hack) is used for the metal detector apps? And might something similar be done for RFID?
the metal detector uses the internal compass. compasses are magenetic driven.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

the metal detector uses the internal compass. compasses are magenetic driven.

True enough. Just brainstorming. With all the impressive capability I've seen out of it so far, it's tough to comprehend that there may be things the Droid simply CAN'T do, no matter how clever one gets with using what's available.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's all within the limitations of the hardware, quite frankly. still, it's a pretty impressive device and the best that vzw has carried to date. i'm excited for what's around the corner.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to set off the detectors at my local "superstore." They have the big white 'anti-theft' detectors at the doors, and sometimes cell phones set it off. I would love to be able to set it off on purpose. :icon_ devil:

diver7769

Reaction score
Is it possible to get RFID tags and attach them to personal products (bikes, laptops, etc) and track them with your Droid similar to the Mobile Defense application???

I see it as a programming issue. There are 2.4ghz RFID tags on the market ( RF-ID Tags, Radio Frequency Identification Transponders and RFID Reader/Writer units ), and there's this spiffy little radio in your unit for WIFI and Bluetooth that lives on that frequency. It's not going to have long range being in that case, but it should be ok for tracking things around the house. I'd love to see this pushed forward as I definitely have a use for it.