how to mount moto droid to your bicycle

jpeter1093

Reaction score
It looks like the handlebar mount on the one from fommy.com differs from the amazon one. The fommy ones looks sturdier...any comments?

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I've read through this thread and I like that the Amzer one APPEARS to hold up well. If I get one, though, I still might put some rubber bands myself. I just don't know if I trust the thing enough.

There's another one out there now, this guy:IG-B05+SPH+CC005-IP: Motorbike Mount for Motorola Droid - eBay (item 330385595335 end time Apr-15-10 11:33:00 PDT)

It's mentioned on another thread somewhere here on the forums... the case that holds the Droid looks the same as the Amzer but the handlebar mount is different, and the thing costs less.

I dunno if I really need one of these. It's be a cool thing to have, but I don't commute, just go for fun, it's not hard to stop, pull the phone out of a bag and see what's up, where I am, etc...

You guys say you had to modify the bracket to get to the headphone jack?

shugknight

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Stumbled across this thread. I actually just recently bought a new Road Bike, and I really want to use my Droid with it. I looked at all the mounts you guys posted up, and one thing I noticed is that none of the mounts are able to hold Droids that have cases on them. So searching around, I came upon this one..

Amazon.com: Amzer Bicycle Handlebar Mount for Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Service

Unfortunately, you won't be able to put your phone in landscape mode, but for those that aren't picky, I think this would be a good one to try. I have something similar in my Jeep that I use..

Amazon.com: Bracketron PHV-200-BL Grip-iT Mobile Device Holder (Black): Electronics

They're not the same manufacturer, but looking at it closely, they are similar. Also on my current mount in the car, when the Droid is "locked" into place, it WILL NOT MOVE. Also with this mount, you won't have to worry about trying to fit your headphones in the jack.

I may buy this and come back with an update.

69Sting

Reaction score
Very cool, I ran along this post by looking for a bike mount for the droid. I ran across one surfing one night and my wife couldn't believe it so I had to find it again. Now she is just laughing about it.
I have been using Cardio Trainer for my Road Bike rides. During my last ride with it I only did 25 miles but it barley took down my battery make 20% per the stock battery view. It is very cool specialy for a free app on the market. It does track your route on a map that looks like googles map, and if you bring that ride back up you can race against that ride. It will also let you set up interval information, so like every 2 miles it will tell you distance via voice.

Enjoy your rides :)

Snowbomb7

Reaction score

Snowbomb7

Reaction score
I just purchsed the amzer from Amazon - it says it ships in 1-3 months?!??! Did anyone buy from Amazon and have to wait this long?

Also - what is the trick to modify so I can use my headphones with it?

Amazon.com: Amzer Bicycle Handlebar Mount for Motorola Droid A855 (Black): Cell Phones & Service

I got mine very fast and yes, I had to take a file to part of the clip so I could plug in my headset. The device still stays in securely though and I ride off-road with it.

I bought an Amzer Droid mount just last week from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. When I ordered it, they had a note on the page "order soon, only one left" so I don't know if I may have gotten the last remaining one or not.

I installed the mount on my bike, and I have to say I am still a bit nervous about the possibility of the Droid falling out. I ride a road bike, and while most roads are fairly decent in the area, there can be some rough areas. I have a Magellan Meridian that I have used previously for a bike GPS, and its mount is very secure, but even with that I had the GPS fall off hitting a bump hard. I think it was not quite fully engaged in the mount on those occasions, but seeing that fall off makes me nervous about the Droid. The Magellan is fairly robust, with a rubber housing and a recessed screen, so it came out with only some scuffed rubber. My guess is the Droid would not fare so well.

With the Amzer mount, it seems nice and tight, with the bottom "hooks" very sturdy - I do not see any way it could pop out from the bottom of the mount.

The top area seems to be where it could come loose. There is a rubber piece over the nose of the clip on the top, and at least with my Droid it seems as though it does not clip all the way over the top edge of the phone. It is most of the way there but not completely down to the extent I would like. So, if I pull out on the phone, it does come out of the mount, though it takes some force to do so. It seems to me that a big bump might just spring it loose. FYI: I took off my case so the phone was as delivered.

I was hoping the top piece would require grabbing it and bending out of the way in order to release the phone, but as I indicated, it seems that outward pressure on the phone will release it.

Does anyone else who has used this mount have the same operation with the mount? Has anyone had trouble with the phone working loose at all? At this point, I am considering putting some rubber bands or something around the top edge of the phone once it is in the mount, hoping that if it does pop loose the rubber bands will stop it from falling out. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I really would hate to lose the phone to a fall on the road.

Installation, with the included wing nut was very easy, though I may use a bit of Locktite on the threads to keep it from vibrating loose. The clip that holds the phone is a separate piece from the handlebar mount, and simply slides into place. There was no apparent way to "lock" that on, and it did not click solidly into place for me, so I ended up using some thin wire to go through the holes on either side of the removable clip portion and then around the post portion underneath to ensure it did not pop off. If it was intended to click or lock into place, it was not apparent to me how to get it to do so.

I would appreciate any real world experience with the mount that you would care to share. Does your mount also seem a bit loose on top, and if so, has it caused any troubles? Has anyone else considered adding "backup" methods of securing in the mount, and if so, what did you use?

I took off the rubber ending at the top of the mount and it makes the Droid fit in securely. No chance of the Droid falling out unless the top is pressed somehow.

I mountain bike and do some jumps but mostly climbing and downhills. No problems yet.

I love this mount and I bought a similar one for my vehicle as well.

crazyrunner33

Reaction score
I'm still recovering from a 30 mph road bike crash from a month ago, the phone would have been smashed into pieces if it was in a mount on the handle bars. I'm glad I had the phone in the back pouch under the seat to protect it, not because of the money that would have been lost from smashing the phone but because it was nice to have a working phone to call for help when I really needed it.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Home made bike mount

I made my own mount for my road bike.

attachment.php

I had a hard plastic case that I bought at my VZW store when I first got my phone. I hated the case because I use the Motorola Media Dock and you have to take the case off to use the dock. This case is a true pain in the butt to take off. It has a death grip on the phone. So when I started thinking about how I could make my own bike mount, I decided that this case was the perfect starting point since there is no way the phone will bounce out of it. In addition to the extremely tight fit, the case has all the cutouts for all the buttons and jacks and even the camera. I don't take many pictures this way though, lol.

The design is super simple but construction did take a little elbow grease to flush mount the screw holding the aluminum plate to the case. See the pictures to see what I mean. Total cost was about $20 since I got the case for $9.99 on sale. It may not be as pretty as some commercially produced ones but its sturdy and low profile.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Oh, and if you're into cycling, check out the new bicycle layer in google maps. We don't have tons of bike routes here in my area but the few we do have are highlighted on google maps now.

Cycle50

Reaction score
Simple enough, but is the glue strong enough to handle the vibration of riding?

supermatt9

Reaction score
Quick question for you all - in My Tracks, is there away to have a running total of all your stats as well as totals for the current/most recent ride?

One of the things I like about a good bike computer is you can look up how many miles you rode during any particular time. So I could look and see how far I rode today, yesterday, all last week and in the last year.

is that possible on my tracks? If not, can any of the apps do that? It's fine with me if you have to login to a computer to access that info.

Thanks!

ETA: Also - now all we need is power converter on our bikes that converts our pedaling into power for charging the phone:D!!

Last edited:

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I have one of those little backpacks that holds my water. It has a mesh pocket on the outside that I can put my phone in. I like that because it can pick up a gps signal with no danger of falling out.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one of those little backpacks that holds my water. It has a mesh pocket on the outside that I can put my phone in. I like that because it can pick up a gps signal with no danger of falling out.
Not sure exactly what you're referring to. Can you snap a picture of it for here? I am still trying to figure out a secure way to see my GPS on my motorcycle.

Taegost

Reaction score
I've seen a few apps out there that allow you to track your bike ride, but I'm not sure how to securely mount it to my bike. Last thing I want is to rig something up that may fall off. Has anyone had any experience getting it mounted, and if so can you post pics?

thanks

Duct tape... :)

My Droid Does Tapatalk...

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you're referring to. Can you snap a picture of it for here? I am still trying to figure out a secure way to see my GPS on my motorcycle.

Sorry, i'm at work. But I did a quick google search and found something close to the one I have. It's a backpack with a rubber bladder inside that you can fill with water. It also has a bunch of pockets where I keep a multitool and a spare tube.

One of the pockets is mesh, so the phone can still get a gps signal. It's on your back, so obviously you can't see the screen. That probably won't work for your situation. I just use it to track my ride so I don't need to view the screen at all times.

CamelBakMULE_0208.jpg