Fresh from CES 2010: PowerMat for Droid

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
But with this battery, you can't use any of the Motorola docks...

That's going to turn a lot of people off, including me. Having to take my Seidio case on and off to use the docks is enough of a pain already.

FireDroid

Reaction score
The docks are nice, but I really dont use it as a clock at night. I have a regular clock for that. I would love to have a power mat that I can just put my droid on by my keys. It seems alot of people are using the docks at work and that will still work.

If they get the cover to sit flush like the stock one, I am all over this!!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want one... but not if I have to put a 'fatter' battery on. Can't they just make a replacement battery that will work on the PowerMat? And June 2010? Why so far out?

btram

Reaction score
induction approach ..

Does anyone know if Powermat is ever planning on going away from the inductive approach? Seems like the magnets they use to align the coils will mess with Droid's dock detection feature. Might be a moot point since the battery is so thick, but I wonder if other vendors besides Motorola are making docks/cradles with magnets to trigger Droid's different personalities?

haxmya

Reaction score
These powermats are exactly the kind of thing that would be awesome if they became the globally accepted way of charging things. But if they don't they are just another useless electrical device to spend money on and have laying around.

You know? If every electrical device that needs charging just started coming with these types of batteries and every home/office/car had a powermat installed it would be epic. Restaurants, bars, buses, planes, everywhere could have them and we'd virtually never have to worry about batteries running out again.

I was looking at them this weekend at best buy and thinking about that. But then I thought, that's not how it will work at all. I'll buy a powermat for 100$ then I have to buy a battery for my wifes ipod, and my droid, and my nintendo DS, and my bluetooth headphones, and my netbook, and my wii controllers, and my 360 controllers, and my logitech remote. But those aren't all available...and that would cost hundreds of dollars even if they were...and I'd also have to get a powermat at work anyway. etc.

Reminds me of how they made a USB (UNIVERSAL serial bus) which somehow became USB A, B, Micro-A, Micro-AB, Mini-A, Mini-B Mini so that you still have cables coming out your ears and have to buy new ones for every new device you get. Then you run out of USB ports and get a hub, but some don't work if they're plugged into a hub....onandon.

Sorry, rant over. :icon_ devil:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want one... but not if I have to put a 'fatter' battery on. Can't they just make a replacement battery that will work on the PowerMat? And June 2010? Why so far out?
That is the replacement battery.:frown:

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
it's still less bulky than seidio's FAT extended battery, if it weren't for the buy-in price, I'd be more likely to buy this

jmacal83

Reaction score
I cant wait till it comes out...i will definitely get.

Everyone don't forget this is just a prototype we are seeing (CES)...it could get a lot smaller, they still have 5 months before it goes out on the market for testing and design.

peterpressure

Reaction score
The back cover has to be replaced because it is metal and the induction does not work through it. Other phones with plastic cases dont need to replace the back cover.

What if u removed the back cover and used an innocase or something. Than no metal.

OP
S

Slick86

Reaction score
The back cover has to be replaced because it is metal and the induction does not work through it. Other phones with plastic cases dont need to replace the back cover.

What if u removed the back cover and used an innocase or something. Than no metal.

The back cover actually has a rfid chip in it that talks with the power mat. Without it, the charging will not start.... or stop. What I saw were only preproduction versions though. They could have gotten a lot thinner in the last few months.

It should launch this month. Lets see!!