Droid's Making Jobs Recognize

Beardface

Reaction score
At least he recognizes that Apple and Google are the market leaders and will be for a while.

With that said, someone needs to come out with a legit Android tablet. Not some 7 inch glorified smartphone. I'm talking something thats 10 or 11 inches, has full Android capability, and can be put out there and touted by the providers as the flagship tablet of Android to rival the iPad. So far, we have nothing that does that.
https://www.flatcomputing.com/products/details/3/FlatPad-A10T-NEW

Like this?
Thats a good start...

Still holding out to see what Moto and HTC come up with, if anything.

D3fault121

Reaction score
"from an app store that is not populated with hundreds of fart apps, get Android."

Man, how I wish that were true... We don't have "Fart apps", ours are shart...

What I find funny about this is that there are several top selling games on the itunes app store that are about zip popping...

chaz.ring

Reaction score
who cares???.... I can sift through useless apps for hours on the market for both android and iphone.... so....what???

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get scared, go on the attack.

Devs have already chimed in against the supposed fragmentation.

Its not fragmented, its:

1. A sign that our platform moves. Quickly.

2. Diverse. How many versions of windows are out there? Same thing here, one cannot expect that every new release of the OS will work with our hardware. At any point with any device, to get the most current features one would have to upgrade the hardware. Heck after ice cream if we're lucky to get that, we'll be left at that level, or a stripped down OS that can run on the original Droid, sans those new features.

That we have a plethora of hardware manufacturers is what eventually will do the same thing to Stevie as happened to Mac vs PC.

I'm not knocking Mac, but you are limited to what one OEM gives out, not counting throwing osx on PC's.

Darkseider

Reaction score
At least he recognizes that Apple and Google are the market leaders and will be for a while.

With that said, someone needs to come out with a legit Android tablet. Not some 7 inch glorified smartphone. I'm talking something thats 10 or 11 inches, has full Android capability, and can be put out there and touted by the providers as the flagship tablet of Android to rival the iPad. So far, we have nothing that does that.
https://www.flatcomputing.com/products/details/3/FlatPad-A10T-NEW

Like this?
Thats a good start...

Still holding out to see what Moto and HTC come up with, if anything.

Hell that's more than a good start! That thing eats the iPad for lunch in terms of power and features. 1 GIG RAM. HDMI out? OOH YEAH. That is basically the same as the Elocity A7 except twice the RAM and a 10" screen instead of a 7". In any case these are the tablets that will tear into the iPad. Low cost commodity nVidia Tegra 2 250 tablets with Froyo or better running on them.

Josefius

Reaction score
I have a Mac, an iPad, and absolutely nothing against Steve Jobs. The admins of this site even have support forums for things like the iPad. Why the heavy remarks about Jobs? Is that necessary, really?

I have to go against you on this one hook : )

Jobs has been bashing Google/Android BIG time as of late.

Some of his comments are just downright ignorant too

I agree, I was pretty surprised at his viciousness. I too liked Apple as an alternative of M$, but it seems they are no better.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Smaller playground but just as big of a bully. I loved Apple back in the pre-PPC and PPC days, when you could get a DOS card to add in and run DOS apps on so your Mac was the best of both worlds. Then OS 9 and X rolled around and everything changed.

Android is making Apple nervous like Open Office is making Microsoft nervous, except Android is actually a threat to Apple's bottom line. Of course, the future is in mobile phones, not in huge boxes that run bloatware like Windows.

Just for fun, someone compare a Windows Vista Ultimate install to a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.1.1. Try running both, see which one you think is the better OS after you compare the functionality and overall footprint of both. :)

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
All Jobs is doing, is showing that he's scared. He spent a lot of time bashing Android (and Blackberry) in his investor conference call. You wouldn't do that if there wasn't some concern in there.

There was a lot more in that investor conference call not stated in the OP.

"We think the open-versus-closed argument is a smoke screen," Jobs said. "We're providing users with things that just work. We think that's the winning approach in the end."

I also find this amusing..

On Apple's earnings call, CEO Steve Jobs used popular Twitter client TweetDeck to make a point about Android's fragmentation.
"Twitter client, Twitter Deck [sic], recently launched their app for Android. They reported that they had to contend with more than 100 different versions of Android software on 244 different handsets. The multiple hardware and software iterations present developers with a daunting challenge."​

To which came this reply...

This morning, Iain Dodsworth, founder of TweetDeck, responded to Jobs with a tweet: "Did we at any point say it was a nightmare developing on Android? Errr nope, no we didn't. It wasn't."
If you look at the original TweetDeck post about all the Android handsets, and Android OSes out there, you can see the company is impressed by it all, not annoyed: "From our perspective it's pretty cool to have our app work on such a wide variety of devices and Android OS variations."

bd1212

Reaction score
Also, here's a tweet from the creator of Tweetdeck:

79524892.png

richphitzwell

Reaction score
Contemplating his speach while my Droid 1 is in its navigation mount playing Pandora while navigation is directing me and apps are updating in the background and receiving calls email and text today. I think he is right at how bad android is. Yup, oh wait I need to checkout this flash website later guyz