Google's CEO Larry Page Believes Steve Jobs' Android Hate was just 'for show.'

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 4, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's an interesting twist that would have been hard to see coming had it shown up in a book or movie. According to a Businessweek interview with Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page, he actually had a good relationship with Steve Jobs, and was even mentored by him in many ways. In fact, Mr. Page believes that Steve Jobs' now famous declaration of "thermonuclear war" and his vow to "spend every last dime of Apple's money destroying Android" was merely for show. He further elaborated that it was likely a way for Steve Jobs to motivate his team by giving them a strong competitor to rally against. Here is the direct quote from the Businessweek article: (The bolded statements and questions were from the interviewer.)

That's a surprising take on things, and an interesting glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of the tech world. What do you guys think? Was Steve Jobs' malice toward Android genuine, an act, or something in-between? And, how do you guys feel about Larry Page's optimistic and forward-thinking view on business?

Source: Businessweek
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Seems plausible. Not sure if it worked to rally the engineers and programmers since they tend to be using a lot of Android features, but it sure did rally the patent lawyers.
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I think a lot of it is for show... business is business, and especially with Google / Apple, they had a good relationship before Google/Android took off. So I'd be willing there was mutual respect, despite the marketing hype that was a business thing.
  4. nikecar

nikecar New Member

Android is for folks who can think and can figure things out and want options.
    Apple isn't.
  5. anthrpicdecadnce

anthrpicdecadnce New Member

android is for people who like android. Apple is for people who like apple. I like android.
  6. jntdroid

Do not turn this into an android vs. apple argument... the news article clearly shows the respect Page/Jobs had for each other, why don't we keep with that theme...
  7. Insidious

Insidious New Member

I finished the Steve Jobs bio a few days ago and thought exactly this. Jobs had told Page that the recipe for success was focusing on only like 3 or 4 products.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  8. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

Steve Jobs was unaivailable for comment.

Seriously though, Jobs declared war against a force of more freedom (Android) while Apple's platform awed us with it's LAUGHABLE level of UNsophistication and COMMITTED LACK of openness, etc., etc. Jobs sold out. An amazing rollercoaster ride of integrity. Dr. Page is too nice.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  9. jntdroid

The irony of that statement, alongside your name, is that the iPhone has no bloatware and has the carriers bending over for them much moreso than Android.
  10. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

Bloatware, one thing to fight on Android. Comparatively, Apple products were designed in Mt. Doom. THROW IT BACK IN THE FIRE, iphone users.

I'm not sure what carriers bending over to get the popular phone has to do with this other than to show just how high Jobs' BS train climbed.
  11. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

God get over the hatred, you will find life is far more pleasant when you aren't waisting hatred on trivial things.
  12. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

The world without free criticism is impotent. Only the stupid/insecure bleat "haters gonna hate."

You get over yourself. Why don't you stop attacking me and start defending Jobs and Apple instead? Apple is a big sham. Jobs became shameful. Argue it or deflect.
  13. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

You don't have to be a jerk to be critical of something either. I am not gonna let you bait me into an argument simply because you choose to live viewing everything through rose colored glasses. I don't think I am the one who needs to get over myself when I am not the one hating on people for buying a certain brand. But whatever, live with that hatred in your heart, it will do you well.....
  14. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

People that agree with you probably enjoy iPhones. Who cares? Can we get back on topic? Jobs: slimeball yes or no?
  15. jntdroid

That's not the topic... :blink:
  16. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

????

I did not realize android was so hard to figure out. And if I remember apple has jailbreak.

17. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

When are people going to realize that competition is good. That choice is good. That both iOS and Android serve a purpose. That both operating systems are better because the other exists.

Why does one have to be good, and the other evil? Can't we just see the good in both and just make the decision of which one is best for us - without feeling the need to hate on those that make another choice because their needs may be different than ours?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  18. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

as much as I prefer Android to Apple. I like and respect Jobs. His "beef" with MS was for show, the same thing with google wouldn't be much of a surprise
  19. yaterml

yaterml New Member

Here is some food for thought, when Apple and Microsoft were at each others throats Steve and Bill acted like over the top jerks to each other, and but in reality they were best friends and Bill even forked up the money to save Apple. If not for Gates we wouldn't have the iPhone! Now Microsoft struggles in vane to catch up because they are too diversified and one or more products suffer. Google is a similar story, and but this is how can we keep competition to make it took like a fight while they attempt to take over the world! Steve passed away before we saw the fruits of his plan, and but Apple will be served their just desserts because the next in line took his "last big quote" too serious.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums
  20. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

> That's not the topic...

This thread is about Page's reaction to Jobs' threat. I say Page is too nice and Jobs is a slimeball. I'd say I'm on topic.

> apple has jailbreak.

Apple doesn't want you to jailbreak though...to bypass iTunes, to install what you like. The defense of Apple on this message board is a joke.

> Why does one have to be good and the other evil?

A better question is what good is a world where criticism is labeled "hate"? Just because it makes you feel good or jibes with some religious ideal doesn't make it good for society and the future. It'll all come around again though. The BS can only be piled so high before it will collapse. If you deny anything that is negative and call it "hate" then you deny a lot of truth.

Relatively speaking though, I do agree that Apple is evil and Android is good.
Search tags for this page

how does larry page demonstrate integrity