Droid X

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by cvpcs, Jun 27, 2010.

1. cvpcs

cvpcs Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    For all those who don't know already, Alldroid.org is giving away a Droid X to the developer who users would like to see develop on it: Vote Here

Take a stop by and vote for your favorite developer! If that happens to be me, then fantastic! If not, then I encourage you to vote anyway to support the android community! :)

It would be nice to get another device running my gem-line of ROMs, however!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. white_ash143

white_ash143 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got my vote sir. Switching to your ROM as we speak. Plus the wiki and bug reporting is much more organized than following countless posts in one or two topics.

Edit: I don't even plan on owning a Droid X for whatever that's worth.... :)

3. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You got my vote too cvpcs. It stinks though, almost all of the other people on that list are either developing on multiple phones or have a very popular software that can be used on android.

Just wait, that will be you some day, with people asking if you can port Sapphire to X phone :D

4. Cleskers

Cleskers Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have my vote. I have tried 3 other Roms and none compare.

5. bhughesiii

bhughesiii Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You got my vote, doubt I'll own a Droid X anytime soon, but when I do I want sapphire on it!

6. madAdam

madAdam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried but the voting is closed. I ordered the Droid X and look forward to running Sapphire on it. Thanks for your work!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. PJnc284

PJnc284 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder if/when they'll crack the bootloader on it.

8. cvpcs

Ratings:
    +0
    in all honesty it doesn't sound good. the milestone has had a similar system in place and after ~9 months they have yet to break it without hardware modifications.

i heard that it was even worse in the case of the droid x, as they employ what is called an eFUSE. basically, if you try to load something on to the device that is not signed properly, then the phone bricks itself and the only way to get it working again is to send it to motorola, where they can open it up an reprogram it at the chip/circuit board level (using a method known as JTAG). i may be wrong about some of the specifics but this is what i remember hearing from birdman/p3droid, so feel free to correct me

Edit: this means that in order to even TRY to crack the bootloader, you better be willing to brick your device, because every failed attempt will result in a brick

seems like an awful waste of a good device to me.

9. PJnc284

PJnc284 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I don't really get the motivation on Motorola's end. They're going to miss out on a lot of the custom roming community that the Droid is famous for. Apparently they were trying something different with the original droid based on a response from Motorola. If I were a CEO there, someone would be getting fired for talking potential customers into supporting competing products.

Motorola: Droid X isn't a dev phone, buy the Nexus One if you want ROMs | Android Central

10. cvpcs

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i read that post. What a load of crap. I agree with you, if I were CEO of a major company, I can't imagine what business strategy would compel me to say "you know what, let's add a feature that actually makes a large sum of customers who WERE excited about buying this device, buy another one! and then let's TELL them to do it!"

in all honesty they should've just done what the nexus did, and implemented a feature so that you CAN root, but as soon as you do they can always tell, so that you can't request a new phone and claim it broke if you brick it. that's the right path to take IMO.

11. cabagekiller

cabagekiller Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With the JTAG method. If it gets leaked ROMs can be made. But I feel that may not happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. madAdam

madAdam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I wonder why Moto releases the occasional hacker's dream. I got into this crazy hobby with the V9M. Had a blast on that phone. Then nothing until the Droid, which I'm in a little over my head with. I became obsessed with flashing new ROMs. Settled on Sapphire, and am very happy with it, but I'm afraid I'll always be tweaking and flashing. That's why I decided to order the Droid X. So I can enjoy my phone in peace for a while — until the hacking begins again!

13. bhughesiii

bhughesiii Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I will not be owning a Droid X with this kind of BS floating around. I was excited about it until now. If I weren't so in love with my droid I'd get a different phone and tell moto where to stick it.

14. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6

I guess I wont be wasting $600 on the Droid X. Its gonna be the Droid and sapphire for now dancedroid

15. sphen22

sphen22 Member

Ratings:
    +0