Droid X shutter failure after 1 pic

magnaduster

Reaction score
About 40 minutes after getting my Droid X I took a picture and when I went to take subsequent photos I had a black screen. The shutter will no longer open. I have tried pulling the battery but not factory reset yet. I purchased the phone at a Best Buy that had limited supply so returning it is not possible until 1 - 2 weeks from now. I called Verizon Wireless support and they have noted it but say I should return it to Best Buy within the 30 day window if possible. I had another pre-ordered at a verizon store because I felt I was getting the run around about being guaranteed one on launch day at best buy but called them to let them know they could sell it before I knew of this issue. Upon call back they did not have anymore in stock. Any ideas or the possibility of this being software(unlikely) and not hardware are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chuk1005

Reaction score
Sounds like you just got a defective unit, as mine has not had this issue (had it for a week now). I do not take a lot of pictures but when I do I have not had that issue. I guess you a pretty much stuck until they come back in stock if they are out. Try calling around to other bestbuy's in your area to see if any are available. But I would suggest not letting them know ur doing an exchange until u get there if you find one.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have nothing to lose by doing a factory reset on the new phone, do it.

But I think its mechanical, not SW, as it has a physical shutter mechanism.

dkx

Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine. I took one picture and then it stopped working. Did the factory reset and nothing. So now what? It's sold out everywhere....

dkx

Reaction score
I just contacted Motorola and they said they will replace the phone...

lchavez289

Reaction score
Hey guys.. This is a known defect with the Mechanical shutter. You're phone will be warranty replaced.

dkx

Reaction score
Who does this warranty replacement? Motorola or the place where you bought it? Best buy in my case...

OP
M

magnaduster

Reaction score
Sorry to take so long getting back. I posted on the motorola droid x owners forum and very promptly had a conversation going with a forum manager. Within an hour or so he stated about 100 phones were released with this issue and that motorola would call me to setup a swap. They called this morning and my new one will be here on monday. Oddly enough I tried all last night to take a pic and still the shutter remained closed. I handed it to my boss this morning to check out the phone in general and he clicks the camera app and the shutter opened. I don't know if the warmth from being in my pocket(wasn't in there much yesterday) maybe caused some grease or other lubricant (i assume there may be something) to get soft or what but I'm doing the swap anyway as I don't want it to happen again (opened or closed) and be stuck with a refurb after the initial 30 days. I was very impressed with how they handled it so quickly. My only concern now is I have not added the insurance yet and if I go with best buy's will they still honor it with a different MEID number?

TYLER52

Reaction score
droid x shutter problem

i had the same problem. im not sure if this is going to work for anyone else, but it worked for mine. when you open your camera and the picture loads up, play with the zoom in and out feature b 4 you take a picture. mine was taking black and white pictures all day and for whatever reason i did that and it stoped. now my pictures are fine. let me know if that helps. e-mail me. [email protected]

ThePerfectScore

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I wanted to take a picture of my omelet I made this morning and I pressed the camera and it was blank black. Then I switched to video mode and it was blank all black screen. I clicked my barcode app since it uses the camera and I had the same black screen. So I turned the droid on and off. Then my droid froze, then it randomly turned off and restarted again. After that the camera worked again. I would hate for camera failure to be a rampant droid X issue. Let's see if it does this again. I'm hoping this is a one time issue. If it becomes chronic I will be extremely upset.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
same problem here, camera stuck on black screen. first time vzw rep fixed it by pulling battery out, two days later same fix didn't work. did hard reset by wiping the phone that didn't help. going to best buy today to reserve next phone shipment which they're supposed to get on 23rd and calling motorola to see if they can do a faster swap.

ThePerfectScore

Reaction score
I just got back from the verizon store it did the black screen to the sales rep. I'm getting a new phone when they get their next shipment in, so friday-ish. I still love my droid tho, I just want one that works.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
The Droid X Display in the Verizon store where I got my Droid X last week also had the shutter cap problem.

The Rick

Reaction score
I have the same issue but mine has never managed to take a picture (or open once).

khymera

Reaction score
I am having a similar issues with 2 phones, We got Droid X's for company phones 4 total. On 2 units the cameras stopped working after last friday 07/23 this problem is really wide spread there is a lot of topics on this forum and other Droid forums discussing the same issue black screen no camera noises or initialization.