Droid X shutter failure after 1 pic

DROIDXFAMILY

Reaction score
Camera Shutter stuck closed

Very upset with Verizon. I purchased two Droid X phones for my wife and I. It's only been two weeks and my wife tells me that her camera is not working. I take a look and see that the camera shutter is stuck in the closed position. I've pulled the battery to no avail, it's still stuck closed. She went to the local Verizon corporate store only to be told that she could either get a "like new" phone (refirb) in a few days, or surrender her phone for up to a month until a new phone comes in. Keep in mind we have the highest priced replacement package that Verizon offers on both our phones. We spend an hour on the phone with Verizon this morning only to be told that they will not cross ship a new phone, we would have to surrender the current phone and use our old phone until we received the replacement. OR take a "like new phone" which was available to us in under a week. Why in the hell would we have to wait over a month for a new replacement but only a few days for a refirb. Additionally, we didn't pay the NEW PHONE PRICE to have a defective phone replaced by a refirb. So much for their worry free warranty. BUYER BEWARE. So while we are trying to figure out what to do if anyone knows the fix for the camera, or if this a wide spread issue please let me know. Is there a website where wide spread issues become public knowledge and which force the company to recall and replace the defective merchandise with new functioning equipment?

ThePerfectScore

Reaction score
Droid software update

So apparently if you update your Droid software it fixes the camera issue. I didn't know that until my Verizon man told me.. I hadn't used the camera since it first mucked up... but lo and behold the camera now works. I didn't tell my verizon man this since I bought the camera on launch day... complained of the shutter issue later that week and we're midway through August and I still haven't gotten my replacement. Even though now I don't need a replacement, I'm still going to get one since its supposed to be FedExed to me on Tuesday. I'm only getting the replacement now on principle since they sorta push me off for a whole month. But if you don't want to go through the trouble here's how to check your software

press the menu button.. lower left
Go to settings
About phone (very last one on list )
Then the System version should be Version 1.13.604.MB810.Verizon.en.US

My phone automatically updated like 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I didn't know what the update was for so had no clue it had fixed my issue.

DROIDXFAMILY

Reaction score
Not a software issue

Thanks for the info regarding upgrading the software, however the shutter is a mechanical hardware failure. Our phones have the most current software revision(the one you identified:Version.1.13.604.MB810.Verizon.en.US) (until froyo is pushed out for the X in the near future). If this problem is as wide spread as I am starting to find out I wonder why it's not hit the main stream media like the iPhone camera issue?

ThePerfectScore

Reaction score
Oh well my shutter problem was intermittent... it would get stuck in the closed position and just present me with a blank black screen. Or it would take a random picture and I would not be able to exit out of that picture and would have to manually restart the frozen phone. But I've been playing around with my phone since the Verizon guy told me about the upgrade and I haven't had a problem with my camera freezing up. Can't a software problem cause the mechanics of the phone to mess up? Doesn't software control hardware?

JBovee

Reaction score
2 separate X phones, same problem

I had the very same problem. Verizon immediately replaced it, but after using it a half dozen times, the NEW PHONE stuck too. I'm going back to Verizon today to see what they want to do.

BTW...my second was a refurb. It looked brand new, but they told me it was not. Don't think the fact it was refurb'd has anything to do with the shutter...think that's an established problem by now with the model.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the very same problem. Verizon immediately replaced it, but after using it a half dozen times, the NEW PHONE stuck too. I'm going back to Verizon today to see what they want to do.

BTW...my second was a refurb. It looked brand new, but they told me it was not. Don't think the fact it was refurb'd has anything to do with the shutter...think that's an established problem by now with the model.

Yeah but the refurbs are junk. VZW just cleans em up, flashes em and ships em out.

CM74DX

Heathinv

Reaction score
hey guys guess what

use a magnet to fix stuck shutters

seriously

I registered here just to say that

okay

bye