Phone won't stop restarting ...

abean

Reaction score
So, I hung up on a call and after-wards for a good hour straight, my phone wouldn't stop restarting. After it does the start-up sequence and gets the opening unlock screen ... the phone restarts.

I've pulled the battery about 87 times, tried without the memory card, no change. Every now and then, it starts up, then locks up on the opening screen. I have not installed anything new since last night and I've been using the phone for most of the day. I don't understand what happened to make this all of the sudden occur.

Went to a VZW store and they told me to call the main support line. They won't send me a new phone because I bought it from Best Buy ... figure, the first time in 5 years I buy something from Best Buy. I have to return and get a new phone from BB. Oh, but yeah ... like everyone else they're outta stock. They then said they'll ship me one after I buy new from them. So I have to return to BB, buy from VZW and then I can get a new phone. They can't even ship me a phone until I return that one though. What a friggin nightmare!!!!!

What a great second day of owning a brand new phone ... curious to as if anyone else went through this?

Last edited:
OP
A

abean

Reaction score
Well, I ended up doing a factory reset and it appears to be back up and running. More than anything I'd like to know how this happened to prevent it from reoccurring. I have to assume it was something I installed? I think this was everything I had installed:
- Advanced Task Killer
- Touchdown
- Launcher Pro
- File Organizer
- Google maps/talks/voice
- Nolock
- Some custom gmail app ...

I think that was about it. None of the above should have caused any issues right? I just hope that the phone itself isn't somehow faulty.

DroidX101

Reaction score
So, I hung up on a call and after-wards for a good hour straight, my phone wouldn't stop restarting. After it does the start-up sequence and gets the opening unlock screen ... the phone restarts.

I've pulled the battery about 87 times, tried without the memory card, no change. Every now and then, it starts up, then locks up on the opening screen. I have not installed anything new since last night and I've been using the phone for most of the day. I don't understand what happened to make this all of the sudden occur.

Went to a VZW store and they told me to call the main support line. They won't send me a new phone because I bought it from Best Buy ... figure, the first time in 5 years I buy something from Best Buy. I have to return and get a new phone from BB. Oh, but yeah ... like everyone else they're outta stock. They then said they'll ship me one after I buy new from them. So I have to return to BB, buy from VZW and then I can get a new phone. They can't even ship me a phone until I return that one though. What a friggin nightmare!!!!!

What a great second day of owning a brand new phone ... curious to as if anyone else went through this?

I bought it at midnight of the 15th, and my screen is not responding as it should. Went to 2 different vw and they told me that I have to use my old droid and send this one off for a week and then get it back (out of stock). I asked them why cant you gust give me one and take this one. they said that its procedures and they have to send it off. One other person said they took it back up there and gave him a new one. I love the phone, but don't want to go without it for a week now.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Well, I ended up doing a factory reset and it appears to be back up and running. More than anything I'd like to know how this happened to prevent it from reoccurring. I have to assume it was something I installed? I think this was everything I had installed:
- Advanced Task Killer
- Touchdown
- Launcher Pro
- File Organizer
- Google maps/talks/voice
- Nolock
- Some custom gmail app ...

I think that was about it. None of the above should have caused any issues right? I just hope that the phone itself isn't somehow faulty.
I wouldn't think any of the apps you installed would cause restarts on a stock phone, but you can't be sure. Were you getting any FC's (force Closes) on any applications when you opened them? What were you doing on the phone right before a restart? Does the phone feel more than just warm when a restart occurred?

Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get rid of Advanced Taskiller. See what happens when you do that.

aiwasoundsystem

Reaction score
I'm having this same restart issue. Woke up to my X in a looping restart. Performed factory reset temporarily fixed issue but it returned.

After a nightmare at the corp store and getting no help from them. I troubleshot on my own and came up with this.

When phone goes to "sleep" it will restart intemitently. If security screen is set up and restart happens, it will intermitently get caught in a restart loop forcing me to do a factory reset. As long as phone isn't allowed to sleep it doesn't have the issue. Turned display and data timeouts to max time limit. Then turned off security screen. Have been able to prevent restarts and looping restarts with these steps. When X is in Car Mount or HDMI Multimedia Dock it doesn't sleep so it doesn't have to deal with the issue.

Spoke with (phone)tech support and they told me that store would have to replace phone. Store had a phone that morning and told me they would hold it, then they were selling it when I called them back. Was pretty upset so I called Cust Service and they contacted store and pretty much told the manager how this was going to work. Waiting till 8/3 for new phone now.

Hope this helps others troubleshoot similar issues. Phone update option in settings is grayed out for me will try again tomorrow to do update and see if it remedies my issue.

aiwasoundsystem

Reaction score
Will do.

I'm wondering if anyone else with this issue can replicate this issue the way I have.

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
@Mikejl - No, was not having any FC's ... but that's kinda what it felt like when the phone would start up. Sometimes I'd only get to the unlock screen, other times onto the desktop, and then something would happen which caused the restart.

@hookbill - I thought this was the culprit as well. I have not reinstalled and instead am now using ES Task Manager, which I like more anyways.

So anyways, at this time I really don't know what the issue was. Doesn't seem like I had the same problem as aiwasoundsystem. I've been up and running for several days without issue now ... My thoughts are it was app related.

aiwasoundsystem

Reaction score
Ok here's a little update on my situation. Performed update today, set display timout to 30 secs, set security pattern to when display turns off, turned data back down to 15 minute timeout. Phone restarted after 5 mins of being in sleep again. So update did not fix my issue. Guess I'm waiting till the 3rd and keeping my phone either awake or on a charger till then. Thankfully it didn't enter into a looping reboot and I didn't have to spend a couple hours setting it all back up via factory reset. I will continue trouble shooting to see if I can narrow it down from display off, security settings or data timeout.