Droid X pre-order from Best Buy

B

b16a2smith

Just some salt for them wounds :D
IMG_20100625_131438-1.jpg

DroidD3

Reaction score
I tried to preorder the DX from BB. I have 1 yr into my 2yr contract. I told them I wanted to pre-order the DX since I'm eligible for a early upgrade (Verizon told me since I've done my 1yr and i'm the primary on the account).
She (BB Lady) told me I couldn't do the early upgrade at BB. Huh? So i then said, then can I just purchase the phone outright for the retail price? She said she didn't think so either and will have to ask her manager. Unbelievable!?

BB sometimes drives me crazy! Does anyone here know if either of the 2 scenarios for me are viable for me to pre-order the DX from BB?

Thanks in advance!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried to preorder the DX from BB. I have 1 yr into my 2yr contract. I told them I wanted to pre-order the DX since I'm eligible for a early upgrade (Verizon told me since I've done my 1yr and i'm the primary on the account).
She (BB Lady) told me I couldn't do the early upgrade at BB. Huh? So i then said, then can I just purchase the phone outright for the retail price? She said she didn't think so either and will have to ask her manager. Unbelievable!?

BB sometimes drives me crazy! Does anyone here know if either of the 2 scenarios for me are viable for me to pre-order the DX from BB?

Thanks in advance!

That lady doesn't know what she is talking about. I preordered the X and will be paying full retail. They didn't even look at my Verizon account.

B

b16a2smith

Thanks in advance!

That lady doesn't know what she is talking about. I preordered the X and will be paying full retail. They didn't even look at my Verizon account.

If you want go in and just preorder it, then on release day if you want, just pay in full.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well after a major fiasco last year with BB trying to switch from AT&T to VZW I didn't even want to deal with their mobile department. But I figure I am just adding a line this time. How much could they screw up. And can't beat the extra $50 off either. Fifth in line but really third because two ahead of me are employees.

Reaction score
I just ordered mine, im number 7 at my store, lets hope they get at least 10..:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I have a question for those who got a Droid with a family plan but are not getting out of that contract...

Is it possible for you to:
1. Buy the Droid X and add as another line (+$10 plus options)
2. Replace your old Droid with a cheap eBay-purchased Feature Phone (let's say the EnV2) and drop your data plan on your Droid's line
3. Swap numbers between your Droid (now EnV2) and Droid X lines

So all in all, you are buying yourself out of your old contract for $10/month? Or is this a no-no? I'm new to Verizon and not really sure how things work there.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I have a question for those who got a Droid with a family plan but are not getting out of that contract...

2. Replace your old Droid with a cheap eBay-purchased Feature Phone (let's say the EnV2) and drop your data plan on your Droid's line

So all in all, you are buying yourself out of your old contract for $10/month? Or is this a no-no? I'm new to Verizon and not really sure how things work there.

That is similar to what I am doing. I am....

Adding a line and getting the X for $150
Switching the X to my primary (Droid) line
Put an old junk phone on the new line
Sell the Droid. Should be able to get $250-$300
Cancel the new line after a month or two and pay the $175 ETF

Should just about break even and way cheaper than paying full retail.

Oh and just so you know VZW requires a minimum $10 data plan on most multimedia phones. So if you are gonna do it like that I wouldn't use anything like and ENV. Best to get an old flip phone like an old Moto V60 that you can get for a few bucks.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh and just so you know VZW requires a minimum $10 data plan on most multimedia phones. So if you are gonna do it like that I wouldn't use anything like and ENV. Best to get an old flip phone like an old Moto V60 that you can get for a few bucks.

The new ETF is now $350. It drops $10 each month. They implemented this to prevent people doing what you described.

B

b16a2smith

Don't even mess with the ebay crap shipping and all that stuff, do it when you get to best buy, just when you go into best buy buy a VZW prepaid samsung pay - as - you - go phone, 40$ and throw it on that line, best bet, promise. and its brand new.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

The new ETF is now $350. It drops $10 each month. They implemented this to prevent people doing what you described.

I am switching the X to my primary line and putting a dumb phone on the 4th line. That will make it a basic line with an ETF of $175.

soulpatch

Reaction score
So the new ETF doesn't apply to dumb phones or it only applies to secondary lines?

If you look on VZW's site about adding a new line you will see that the dumb phones have 175 termination fees though I do not believe that they decrease any money per month you keep the contract like the 350 smart phone ETF does...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So the new ETF doesn't apply to dumb phones or it only applies to secondary lines?

The $350 ETF applies to any smartphone line carrying a $29.99 or higher data plan. All others are still $175. If I switch the X off of the new line and put an old flip phone on it that line becomes a basic line. I've been told by several sources that it will work.